Quantcast

Trail Training Class - Feb. 24

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Courtesy of SORBA
Greetings all,

I wanted to invite everyone to a full day workshop on Trail Design, Construction and Maintenanceto be held Sat. Feb. 24th at DuPont State Forest. This is an indoor PowerPoint presentation sono need for warm clothes. You will need lunch, water (or soda) and a notepad and pen.
The time is starting at 9AM and we should be done by 5:30 or so. This is to be held at the GuionFarmhouse, please see this for directions:
http://www.dupontforest.com/directions.asp
This is a 2 day workshop normally, I will be cutting out some of it and compressing it down to a1 day. Here is some info on the workshop I usually teach:
http://www.trailbuilders.org/conference/2006/art_science06.html
This one day workshop is free of charge and a great opportunity to learn more about trails. Theintended audience is any mtn biker who would like to take a more active role and perhaps worktoward being a crew or project leader for SORBA. Or, if you just have a strong interest in what and why we do what we do. Let me know if there are questions.

Woody Keen
President- Trail Dynamics LLC
President- Professional Trailbuilders Association
Board of Directors- IMBA
Certified NC Clear Water Contractor

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Do they teach you how to operate the dingo? I mean I could really use some more fireroads to ride up here.

Just kidding but i'll take 8 hours working on my trails as opposed to taking notes on how to do it better.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Do they teach you how to operate the dingo? I mean I could really use some more fireroads to ride up here.

Just kidding but i'll take 8 hours working on my trails as opposed to taking notes on how to do it better.
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001

Yeah...and your trail will be found like it has been every time you've ever built one...and it will be shut down...and no one will ever ride it again.

And you'll come back to Pisgah...and ride the trails you could have made cool features on but made up lame excuses not to. You're trail will be gone before you ever graduate college bro.

Woody doesn't teach how to bulldoze a trail. Most of his classes are strictly educational about water, erosion, angles and proper long term armoring...so you don't have to work on a trail 10 times every year. And usually with hand tools.

Greenslick and Dupont are both formerly fireroads converted to singletrack. That's why they use the dingos and other heavy stuff. He's even built a downhill trail at Tamarack in Idaho....you know..the stuff Voreis rode in Kranked 6. The DH masterminds thought so much of Woody and crew that they listed them in the credits of the movie.

If you're not there to shape the trail, how do you think it will turn out? Woody only did Greenslick...NOT ANY OF THAT OTHER DOZER crap in Bent Creek. That was done by a FS company called Trails Unlimited, not by Trail Dynamics...Woody's company. Woody's company actually went to the FS and put a stop to some of their poor techniques and the FS agreed with Woody and kept them from doing more damage.

Not roasting you personally bro...but everybody has to change their mindset. If you're not involved in the shaping of the trails, they're not going to be what you want. If you get involved and learn proper techniques...then you get to make trails that are legal...and have TONS of cool features.

IMBA has a freeride guide for crying out loud. They're all about the adrenaline.

think1up

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
So why don't you quit school and go to work at McDonald's. Wouldn't you rather be working than learning how to do something better?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
man.
up here we're shaping more than ever before.
it ain't easy by any means. actually it physically wears you down.

but we're in an area that we can bring the trailbeds across the mt. side more than ever before.
and that requires tons more effort per trail foot.
but the results will be a relatively maintanence free trail, other than weedeating.
it's been a rather dry winter so far.
but the water runoff we've seen on our new stuff has been just the way we've planned it.
and we'll be going back up the windmill trail next month and "retrofitting" some new building techniques on a few problem areas that trail has.
that trail (and all the future spurs off of it)will be around solidly for many many years to come.

bottom line is,
that when there's just one or two folks maintaining this stuff.
you have to think of building right the first time.
that way when it's time to open up and ride, you can stash the tools for the rest of the year and rip.

for me, trailbuilding is a craft that i (and brian)keep improving on every winter.

none of us are so good at this that we can't be shown a better way to do things.
that holds true for the folks at imba too.

my first post mean't no disrespect to their effort.
when i first rode pisgah back in the late ninties my first thought was, "my god look at the work that went into this place."
i have no doubt it's better now than it was when i rode there last.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Well, the tough part of seeing the trails in Pisgah as they are now in certain areas is that they are now drier, harder and more resistant to erosion than before but at the same time "tamer".

But the big picture is that people can't visually see the trail in 5 years and it will be vastly different than it is now. Greenslick when it was first done was a BMX track that you could put in a hot lap on a full rigid.

But as it's bedded in, the ground has solidified and distrinct drainage patterns have essentially "rinsed" it, it's becoming more natural daily...BUT...it's now staying bone dry 95% of the time. Only 8-10 months after it was built, taking a full rigid down it will rattle your teeth out and a hardtail is SUPER entertaining on it.

Chatter, rocks slowly pulling up through the dirt, the occasional root resurfacing are pepping it up little by little. In the spring, underbrush will begin to creep back in on the sides where they've blocked it off to allow just that. In another year, that thing will be full on singletrack again...only it won't BLOW OUT and erode quickly.

Joey, what a lot of people are refering to at times is the trailwork of the FS company that came into Bent Creek this summer. They had something like a 30-60 day contract on about 4 times the length of trail that Trail Dynamics did. They used similar equipment, worked way more quickly...and on a lot of unnecessary things. They neutered an already tame trail system...quickly. It's had the community upset b/c they turned slightly bumpy trails into paths.

That's where a lot of the hostility comes from.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
You think that Greenslick is fun...I need to take you to Wayehutta. Imagine 30 minutes worth of that..only on serious steroids. With WAY...WAY bigger berms.
Yah and 30 more mins of driving for him and he chould be at Windrock. That is the only reason he has not made his way over there yet to check it out.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i was actually going to bump this up yesterday.

i was just wondering what kind of turnout happens during these seminars.

i understand why (as isolated as i am up here) there's not more trailbuilding help up here.

but for as many people that ride dupont and pisgah etc...
you'd think you'd have to turn away help.

far too many coat tail riders out there.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
i was actually going to bump this up yesterday.

i was just wondering what kind of turnout happens during these seminars.

i understand why (as isolated as i am up here) there's not more trailbuilding help up here.

but for as many people that ride dupont and pisgah etc...
you'd think you'd have to turn away help.

far too many coat tail riders out there.
Joey...you're welcome to attend. You'd love those guys. They're all diggers. It might help you guys out. Plus, I'd bet they'd love to learn about how you guys construct up there.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Oh..and in reference to turnout...ironicly the trails themselves are what keeps the classes from being packed...you know.."ride" or "dig"...

The people who have the biggest foothold around here are the Carolina Mountain Club. They're a massive group of like 300+ hikers who adopt a boatload of FS stuff...some shoddy work...some very impressive...none MTB friendly.

If we want people working on the trails and keeping them MTB friendly, I recommend showing up.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Joey...you're welcome to attend. You'd love those guys. They're all diggers. It might help you guys out. Plus, I'd bet they'd love to learn about how you guys construct up there.
it's all about time.

i'm beyond obsessed with this new trail that' brian and i have going on.
i was at work today doing a killer tile/stone job.
lots of cutting and very technical.
something that requires alot of concentration.

and all i could think about were trail details to be worked on this weekend.

it's a drug.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
well atleast im remotly interested. it would be nice to be able to do maintenance on some of our local dh trails. butch ill see if anybody else from my crew is interested in spending all day out there, but since i dont gotta work i might make the trek out there to take the class. who knows you might see me and my boys doing some work around these parts finally. thanks for the info.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
...but everybody has to change their mindset. If you're not involved in the shaping of the trails, they're not going to be what you want.
:thumb:
i don't want to step up on the advocacy soap box or anything but
XC guys (and some roadies in disguise) are typically the only people that show up at work parties and they will continue to build dirt highways because that's what they like, and that's all they know, and there's no one else there to tell them otherwise.

I've taken the cert. course.
I recommend it to anyone that's building you will learn something.
And why not take it from the guy that helped write the IMBA book.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
XC guys (and some roadies in disguise) are typically the only people that show up at work parties and they will continue to build dirt highways because that's what they like, and that's all they know, and there's no one else there to tell them otherwise.

When you see a feature I build into a trail, you'll either say :shocked: because it will be blatantly fun or you'll be like:help: because I'll hide it off to the side....heh...

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
I wanna spend a week with woody and a shovel at Dupont. He's told me he's okay with adding features as long as they're legal and maintainable, and I drool over that terrain every time I ride there. I might live in Brevard this summer so it might need to go down.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005

built to the lowest common denominator.
that's a huge problem around here, and just about everywhere it seems.
there's a fine art in knowing just how much to shape as opposed to riding natural terrain.
it's better to err on the side of natural terrain.
you can always go back and make small mods.

but once you bench the soul out, it's gone forever.

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
I wanna spend a week with woody and a shovel at Dupont. He's told me he's okay with adding features as long as they're legal and maintainable, and I drool over that terrain every time I ride there. I might live in Brevard this summer so it might need to go down.

Can't take the hating mstar? haha enjoy the that brah and give me a call sometime.... Don't be ghosting like some

Raaar

Monkey
Sep 13, 2004

Dude, you have hit the nail on the head. Some of the guys from Chattanooga have been killing it up on Raccoon Mountain and making some excellent XC trails. I was talking to the guys building the trails about it and they basically said just what DVNT said "We're building and we like XC, so that's what you get". The terrain is there for some sick FR/ DH stuff and Sorba Chatt is open to it, but no one is stepping up to help lay it out and make it happen.

I know I can't say much, either, 'cause I'm the worst. If I am lucky I get on the trails for an hour or two each weekend and, honestly, I'm too selfish to give that up to run a shovel. It's a shame, too, cause if a clan of us gave up an hour or two for a few months we could probably lay out some great trails.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel like a real dirtbag when I see folks working hard to build trails and I've done nothing but reap the fruits of their labor.