Quantcast

trailridin/lightDH tires for UST rims

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
already have one wheelset w/ 2.5 inch kenda blue grooves and/or intense 909; just got new wheelset w/ mavic 823 rims (2005 model) and looking for a general-purpose UST tire for downieville / mammoth / non-lift-served riding under 950 g with reasonable pedalling efficiency. (yes i will use stans sealant, but looking for UST rated tire). my list so far for you to spray comments on:

a. maxxis high roller UST => these run small, but the 2.5 inch UST weighs 1300 g. might as well get michelin DH tires at that weight. 2.35 inch UST version is a measly 740 g--WTF? must be narrow and/or have thin casing. Only comes in 42a durometer...sucks, since i'm looking for something that'll ride up paved access roads without wearing out in 2 rides.

b. maxxis ignitor UST 2.35 => 735 g, tread knobs seem kinda shallow to me for loose conditions? 60a durometer should last, roll well. grip?

c. nokian NBX ust 2.3inch => 990 g, dual durometer (sounds good). narrow footprint?

d. Schwalbe Fat Albert UST 2.35 inch => 930 g. don't know anyone who rides these. ??

e. Specialized 2005 model Enduro Pro D2 tubeless 2.4 inch => 980 g. (I have the new adrenaline pro 2.2 inch D2 on my XC bike and it rules on the front--much bigger footprint than most 2.3 tires, rides like my blue groove 2.35 but better wear resistance.) So this has me thinking that the 2.4 inch Enduro Pro will be comparable to typical 2.5 inch tire. dual durometer.

So if the Ignitor hooks up okay for climbing and braking, I'm thinking of running 2.35 ignitor on rear / 2.4 enduro pro D2 on front. Or schwalbe fat albert on rear.

whaddya think??

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
frorider said:
c. nokian NBX ust 2.3inch => 990 g, dual durometer (sounds good). narrow footprint?
I have no idea how these would work for Downieville or Mammoth but I have been running the Nokian's for about a month now. I am running them on a pair of EX 823's with no Stans. I have had no leakage problems at all. I use them on my DH bike for local trail riding. They roll very well which helps if you must ride up as well as down. They don't grip as well as a pure DH tire but for what they give up in traction they more than make up in lower rolling resisitance. I find them to be a very good all around tire.

This reminds me I need to get them back on the bike before this weekends ride. The Michelins currently on are like boat anchors on the local trails, though they sure worked good at Windrock.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Heath Sherratt said:
Michelins-I'm running the new ust all mountain 2.2's...awesome.
cool, i hadn't heard about these. i am a michelin fan in general so i'll take a look.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Heath Sherratt said:
Michelins-I'm running the new ust all mountain 2.2's...awesome.
btw, how wide it the tread footprint and casing of these michelin 2.2s? these days I consider a 2.35 kenda 'just wide enough' for the trail riding i do--and kendas are wider than most tires marked w/ same nominal size.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
The Continental Vertical Pro 2.3 UST is also a great tire. Very light, great traction, wears well. I ran it during a heli-drop ride at Whistler and never found myself wanting for anything bigger. I'll try the Michelins when these wear out.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
frorider said:
....looking for a general-purpose UST tire for downieville / mammoth / non-lift-served riding under 950 g with reasonable pedalling efficiency....

e. Specialized 2005 model Enduro Pro D2 tubeless 2.4 inch => 980 g. (I have the new adrenaline pro 2.2 inch D2 on my XC bike and it rules on the front--much bigger footprint than most 2.3 tires, rides like my blue groove 2.35 but better wear resistance.) So this has me thinking that the 2.4 inch Enduro Pro will be comparable to typical 2.5 inch tire. dual durometer.

whaddya think??
Look no further than the Enduro Pro D2, I have been running those for a few months and I've hit all types of terrain from Tunnel in SB (rocky loose) to Santa Cruz (packed tacky) etc. These tires RULE. I think they'd be perfect for D-Ville and Mammoth too. Do not waste your time with anything else in this category. You will not find a dual-compound, 120TPI, UST, 2.4" that provides this traction at only 980-gm. The best UST all-purpose tire IMO.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
punkassean said:
Look no further than the Enduro Pro D2, I have been running those for a few months and I've hit all types of terrain from Tunnel in SB (rocky loose) to Santa Cruz (packed tacky) etc. These tires RULE. I think they'd be perfect for D-Ville and Mammoth too. Do not waste your time with anything else in this category. You will not find a dual-compound, 120TPI, UST, 2.4" that provides this traction at only 980-gm. The best UST all-purpose tire IMO.
thanks PAS, after looking around i also came to the same conclusion. the marketing claim that specialized has made about finding a way to make UST tires 200g lighter than most comparable UST tires appears to be truth, not hype. specialized 2.4s are nice and big, comparable to 2.5 inch tires from other manufacturers, none of this maxxis BS measurement thing going on.

it's ironic, years ago kenda and specialized seemed to be low quality tires. now it seems that kenda and specialized are selling some of the best tires on the market.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Ian F said:
The Continental Vertical Pro 2.3 UST is also a great tire. Very light, great traction, wears well. I ran it during a heli-drop ride at Whistler and never found myself wanting for anything bigger. I'll try the Michelins when these wear out.
actually for the riding and terrain i do the vertical pro 2.3 is marginal at best. it is so damn narrow. should be called a 2.1 XC tire. however on my 26 lb. XC bike I do use it on the rear tire--it pretty much sucked as a front tire in sandy/gravelly conditions. on my FR / TR bike i need something bigger in all respects.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
frorider said:
thanks PAS, after looking around i also came to the same conclusion. the marketing claim that specialized has made about finding a way to make UST tires 200g lighter than most comparable UST tires appears to be truth, not hype. specialized 2.4s are nice and big, comparable to 2.5 inch tires from other manufacturers, none of this maxxis BS measurement thing going on.

it's ironic, years ago kenda and specialized seemed to be low quality tires. now it seems that kenda and specialized are selling some of the best tires on the market.
Not only are they light-ish but they have nice stiff sidewalls so you can run slightly lower PSI and get away with it. I also find that they roll MUCH better than most burly tires (even with wide spaced knobs), I assume that's because of the 120tpi casing, harder compound center section and lighter weight. I know roadies care about TPI count because of the reduced rolling resistance but historically "freeriders" don't really seem to factor that into the equation.

descender

Chimp
May 6, 2003
San Francisco
I am in the same exact boat. Looking for <1000g UST tires for some mavic 821s. There are lots of good tires in this catagory, but not many UST ones:

IIRC Trail Bear (big)
Panaracer Fire FR
Kenda Blue Groove
Kenda Tomac Nevegal Stick-E
Maxxis Minion DH Freeride (small)

Kenda doesn't metion UST versions of Nevegal and Blue grove, but universalcycles has some listed... but only 2.1 avail...

Kenda Tomac Blue Groove UST
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=5672&category=181

Kenda Tomac Nevegal UST
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=5397&category=181

Here are all the UST tires at universal:
UST tires:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/index.php?category=181

bent240sx

Chimp
May 11, 2005
i ride on the central coast, dh/fr, Nokian NBX gets my vote for best all around tire. best front tire i've ever used.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
descender said:
I am in the same exact boat. Looking for <1000g UST tires for some mavic 821s. There are lots of good tires in this catagory, but not many UST ones:

IIRC Trail Bear (big)
Panaracer Fire FR
Kenda Blue Groove
Kenda Tomac Nevegal Stick-E
Maxxis Minion DH Freeride (small)

Kenda doesn't metion UST versions of Nevegal and Blue grove, but universalcycles has some listed... but only 2.1 avail...

Kenda Tomac Blue Groove UST
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=5672&category=181

Kenda Tomac Nevegal UST
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=5397&category=181

Here are all the UST tires at universal:
UST tires:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/index.php?category=181

last I looked, the kenda website had all their tires listed including the UST, but those only came in XC sizes unfortunately.

noticed on the universalcycles site that michelin has a 2.5 inch XCR Extreme UST that uses the tread from the DH 24.1, and only weighs 950 g. Other than the Enduro D2 tubeless mentioned above, this seems like one of the best choices for what i'm looking for. maybe i'll buy one of each, and see which works the best.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I used the old HotS 2.5" extensively and found them to be very light and have a nice big footprint but otherwise they pretty much sucked. The compound was too hard and the sidewalls were WAY too thin. But, these new "Xtrem" Michi 2.5's actually sound pretty good. The weight jumped up which most likely means the sidewall is thicker and best of all they are not RED! :D Michi's in general are great tires and they mount wonderfully to UST rims.

Might be worth checking out but they would have to be MUCH better then the old HotS to be anywhere near as good as the new Enduro 2.4" based on my experience.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Hutchinson JUST released an octopus 2.5 ust tire.
The tread is nearly identical to highrollers, but it's dual compound.

Hard in the middle soft on the outside.. like me, but more rounder.

That means it will roll faster, wear better, and hook like a tubless, soft compound highroller.
No idea how much they weigh yet, I'm gettin' mine tomorrow.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Biscuit said:
Hutchinson JUST released an octopus 2.5 ust tire.
The tread is nearly identical to highrollers, but it's dual compound.

Hard in the middle soft on the outside.. like me, but more rounder.

That means it will roll faster, wear better, and hook like a tubless, soft compound highroller.
No idea how much they weigh yet, I'm gettin' mine tomorrow.
Do report back on those ASAP! I like Hutchinson, like Michi they are very high quality tires. Please get a weight for us on those once you get 'em. :)

descender

Chimp
May 6, 2003
San Francisco
frorider said:
last I looked, the kenda website had all their tires listed including the UST, but those only came in XC sizes unfortunately.

noticed on the universalcycles site that michelin has a 2.5 inch XCR Extreme UST that uses the tread from the DH 24.1, and only weighs 950 g. Other than the Enduro D2 tubeless mentioned above, this seems like one of the best choices for what i'm looking for. maybe i'll buy one of each, and see which works the best.
This michi 2.5 might be sweet:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=4956&category=181

But it isn't mentioned on Michi's site....

Mountain Extreme
http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=2092004115810&codePage=2092004115810_13092004150405&lang=EN
26x2,50 Tube type reinf. / 127 TPI / 855g / red+black / SW / FB
26x2,50 Tubeless reinf. / 127 TPI / 1070g / red+black / SW / FB

XCR X'trem
http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=2092004115810&codePage=2092004115810_28022005182224&lang=EN

26x2,00 Tubeless / 127 TPI / 790g/ gray+black / SW / FB
26x2,00 Tube type / 127 TPI / 590g/ gray+black / SW / FB

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
descender said:
This michi 2.5 might be sweet:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=4956&category=181

But it isn't mentioned on Michi's site....

Mountain Extreme
http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=2092004115810&codePage=2092004115810_13092004150405&lang=EN
26x2,50 Tube type reinf. / 127 TPI / 855g / red+black / SW / FB
26x2,50 Tubeless reinf. / 127 TPI / 1070g / red+black / SW / FB

XCR X'trem
http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=2092004115810&codePage=2092004115810_28022005182224&lang=EN

26x2,00 Tubeless / 127 TPI / 790g/ gray+black / SW / FB
26x2,00 Tube type / 127 TPI / 590g/ gray+black / SW / FB

I should clarify. to save space, universalcycles combined teh mountain extreme and XCR extreme on the same webpage, but they are two different tires. there does appear to be a 2.5 inch UST mountain extreme tire--it's the one w/ the DH 24.1 tread. however according to your quote from mich website, it weighs 1070 g which is heavier than what universalcycles reported.

so it appears that the specialized enduro pro D2 tubeless is the best overall for what i'm looking for. i hadn't heard about the new hutch tire, maybe it's a candidate too.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
The Michelins all mountain 2.2 weigh about 650 to 725grams and have a large footprint but roll very fast and have the great predictability that michelin is famous for. Pretty light, good side wall-I live in Auburn where it's very rocky and sharp! and they roll like a batman out of the cave. Very nice.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Heath Sherratt said:
The Michelins all mountain 2.2 weigh about 650 to 725grams and have a large footprint but roll very fast and have the great predictability that michelin is famous for. Pretty light, good side wall-I live in Auburn where it's very rocky and sharp! and they roll like a batman out of the cave. Very nice.
the UST version of the mich all mtn 2.2 weighs 820 g. mich calls it an XC / racing tire on their website but from what you're saying it's a good trailride tire. if it has a reasonably large casing to go with that footprint i might try it on the rear, and put the specialized enduro D2 2.4 inch on the front.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
found a local shop that had the mich all mtn 2.2 UST and i was unimpressed. the casing volume & width was LESS than a 2.0 hutchinson tire. no wonder michelin refers to it as an XC tire.

enduro D2 2.4 or octopus 2.5 are the remaining contenders. just got my new wheelset. btw the hadley front 20 mm hub / DT 14/15 / 32H mavic 823 rim built up weighs 1156 g, which is just a few g more than the newer mavic 28 spoke dee max.

the 2005 823 rim is definitely heavier than last year's but it seems very rigid (deep cross section) and in terms of UST it seems like the best (only?) option right now.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hutchinson Octopuses(i?) don't like anything hard-packed. The side knobs are a lot taller than a highroller, at least on the 2.3 USTs I was using, and the sidewalls were thin and prone to tearing. Not a bad tire, but one that was really best in tacky dirt without many rocks.

Reminded me more of a Comp16 than a Highroller, actually. Those side knobs fold over pretty badly if the soil isn't soft or really loose.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
MikeD said:
Hutchinson Octopuses(i?) don't like anything hard-packed. The side knobs are a lot taller than a highroller, at least on the 2.3 USTs I was using, and the sidewalls were thin and prone to tearing. Not a bad tire, but one that was really best in tacky dirt without many rocks.

Reminded me more of a Comp16 than a Highroller, actually. Those side knobs fold over pretty badly if the soil isn't soft or really loose.

Hmmm.. A friend of mine loves his 2.3's, which is why I wen't for the 2.5ers.
I hope your wrong, but I'll give her hell either way as soon as my rc40 comes in the mail.

Still no clue on the weight.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Biscuit said:
Hmmm.. A friend of mine loves his 2.3's, which is why I wen't for the 2.5ers.
I hope your wrong, but I'll give her hell either way as soon as my rc40 comes in the mail.

Still no clue on the weight.
Never said they were bad tires, just that they weren't good on hardpack... and it's possible that the knobs on the 2.5 won't fold as bad, either. Thin sidewalls are just part of being a light tire.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
I definitely ride some hard-baked trails in socal, and that's one reason i've liked the blue grooves fer example. so i'm still leaning toward the enduro D2 pro front and rear over the hutch.

in terms of thinner sidewalls on lighter tires, i've seen several issues. one is less rock protection; OTOH, on my xc bike i have those kevlar-layer-protected conti verts that haven't torn on SoCal sharp rocks. so i think thin can be reasonably rock-durable if the tire is made right. that's a big If though.

the second issue is pinch flats. stiff sidewalls on DH tires allow many riders to get away w/ XC tubes. but this becomes a non issue if running tubeless.

the third issue is squirminess at low psi. some riders feel that all else being equal, heavy and stiff sidewalls let you ride lower psi. however for me the modern tire compounds are so grippy that in general i'm not running super low psi anymore 'cos i don't have to. so for me anyway this is less of an issue.

UST tires have a butyl insert to keep air in, right? so aren't most UST versions of a given tire (e.g. NBX) stiffer/thicker in the sidewall?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
^ typically yes UST tires are stiffer in the sidewall than non-UST tires.

Get the Enduro's and be done with it! I swear they really are THAT good. :)

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
punkassean said:
^ typically yes UST tires are stiffer in the sidewall than non-UST tires.

Get the Enduro's and be done with it! I swear they really are THAT good. :)
don't worry, i ordered them already. :thumb: only place i could find 'em was specialized.com. where'd you buy yours?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I got mine at The Spokesman, it's a local shop. They had to order them though since their inventory is mostly related to high-end road an XC.

You will LOVE them. :thumb:

EDIT: Since you and I are running the same rim, FWIW I run about 28-30 out back and 28. The tire doesn't squirm at all so you might be able to get away with lower PSI but you have the SoCal rocks to deal with so I'd start there. I weigh ~165 geared up with a Camelback.

Mstaples

Chimp
May 26, 2005
for D-ville, I'm thinking about Enduro Pro D2's as well. I'm probably going to run tubes. What size do you recommend? What about tubes? Anything in particular?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Mstaples said:
for D-ville, I'm thinking about Enduro Pro D2's as well. I'm probably going to run tubes. What size do you recommend? What about tubes? Anything in particular?

Dear God why would you want to run tubes? Even if you have regular rims get a Stan's kit or run ghetto style tubeless. A pinch-flat at D-Ville and your race run is DONE. Even if you aren't racing pinch-flats still suck.

I am running the 2.4" "2Bliss" version on UST Mavic rims ('05 EX823) with a scoop of Stans sealant and I have run some really rocky trails (Tunnel) w/o incident. Avoid tubes at all cost, especially at places that are really rocky. :)

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
finally had my first ride today on the ust Specialized Enduro D2 2.4s (on the new 823 rims). overall rating: :thumb: :thumb:

actual weight was 930g (not 990 as claimed) for each tire.

footprint was about equal to 2.3 specialized rubber. footprint much larger than the brands like maxxis and michelin whose tires are narrower than rated. overall casing volume pretty large--comparable to 2.5 in some other brands.

sidewalls are moderately thick. pretty much what i was looking for--thicker than the typical one-ply, rock-resistant, but not as thick/heavy as a 1500g DH tire sidewall.

rolling resistance pretty low. trails in tahoe are super tacky goodness now, so of course traction was good, but even on some off-camber rocks they held as well as my sticky Blue Grooves.

after messing w/ Stan's last year it's nice to have a rim/tire combo that mounts so easily and pumps right up w/ any pump. i've heard that some dh'ers are using motocross slime (has chunks of rubber in it supposedly) in their UST tires...after seeing what stan's latex can do to some tire sidewalls (the Kenda rep says Kenda has given up trying to make a stan's-compatible tire) long-term, i'd like to try one of the Slime variants (purely for puncture protection only, since the tire is so well sealed as-is). any comments from experience?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I just bought a backup set for when these wear out, still loving them. Glad you like yours too. I have been using Stans sealeant w/o issue. I recently found out these tires are made in France for Specialzied I believe by Michelin. :thumb:

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
An update for anyone who's interested in the Hutchinson Ocotopuses..
I finally got around to mounting my 2.5's an they are friggin HUGE!
More like a 2.7+

Definitely go with the 2.3 if your considering these for "trail" tires.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
descender said:
Sweet. Are they roudish or squarish in profile?

I am going with these or the Michis mentioned in this thread.
They are slightly squarish but not like a gazzi or anything.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
punkassean said:
I just bought a backup set for when these wear out, still loving them. Glad you like yours too. I have been using Stans sealeant w/o issue. I recently found out these tires are made in France for Specialzied I believe by Michelin. :thumb:
the enduro D2's are very straight and high-quality looking, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were michelins.

thanks again for the recommendation. now i just need to figure out how low i can go in psi and not get rim/bead air burps.

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
I have been running the Enduro 2.4" 2bliss for a few weeks now and they have to be one of the best tires I have tried for trail riding. I was weary mounting them on my 5Spot but there is enough clearence.

With a good mix of climbing , small drops and nasty rocky rooted singletrack they held up and perform better than I expected. Nice that the air up with only a floor pump.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...definitely check out the Spesh Enduro D2 2Bliss - they have huge volume and are lightweight...

Instead of using Stan's try using Bontrager's Super Juice - it's not latex based, but glycol based, so it won't dry out as quickly.