Quantcast

Trails near Beech

trap121

Monkey
May 26, 2011
Where can I find some info on all the trails neer beech mtn? I plan to bring my trail bike when I go to the nats to do some riding. problem is, I dont know where anything is in that area.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Where can I find some info on all the trails neer beech mtn? I plan to bring my trail bike when I go to the nats to do some riding. problem is, I dont know where anything is in that area.

Miles of rooty, old school stuff on emerald mountain within riding distance of the resort. You can park right by the town hall in Beech and follow the signs for the emerald outback.

There's some cool xc trails in Banner elk just down the hill. They start right in town at the lake. Its a bit of a maze, but impossible to get seriously lost. Rocky, muddy, and tech.

Rocky Knob park in Boone is a really cool new trail system with about 3 miles of pumpy, flowy, fun. Definitely worth an afternoon. It's on hwy 421 S about 2 or 3 miles from town.

Wilson Creek near Linville has all the all-day gnar you could ask for, but you'll want a guide or some serious navigation skillz.

fourseven

Chimp
Jul 23, 2011
Beech Mountain
Definitely stick to some signed stuff. Wilson's is an isolated maze of trails and dead-ends.
that's besides the fact that wilsons is technically "hiking" only. The other trails mentioned are great for 1-2hrs of riding. Both LMC trails (the ones by the pond that were mentioned) and also the emerald outback are kinda hard to navigate if you don't know your way around. My suggestion is the outback on the mountain followed by the super D that stackhouse built. It's a fantastic loop. I'd be glad to show anyone around, just let me know. I live on the mountain and can ride anytime besides friday.

caleb

Chimp
Mar 30, 2010
Nobody would stop you if you wanted to clean up the LMC pump track ;)

Its pretty overgrown though. Its between the dual slalom and the short track
I think they would, I went out there a few weeks ago and there were signs everywhere that said all those trails and tracks were for LMC students only, whats up with that?

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
It's all about liability. There are signs posted to protect the college. Is someone going to stop you from riding? Doubt it.

ininerider

Chimp
Jul 5, 2009
Banner Elk NC
The trails are ok to ride. The ds and pump track are not ok to ride. There are new signs
that say ride at your own risk on the xc.......I usually am out there so if anyone wants to ride some techy xc give me a shout...

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
Brad, word is that there has been someone trying to run off people that are not on the LMC team. Possibly the new coach?
I think Luke Winger has been the coach for the past couple years and is still there. If they run the kids from App off then no one will ever dig over there again. Case in point the tabletop line that was fun to play on is now nothing more that lumps of dirt hidden by 5 foot tall weeds. WWBS (what would Bradford say) :eek:
Even if the Slalom is a no go the XC trails that start near the lake on Hickory Nut Gap rd. are a very legit place to ride some AM. I love the creek section and the tech gnar rock garden.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Yeah the xc/am trails are a blast to ride. All that is posted on that side is ride at your own risk. Haven't been on the pump track in a year at least but I remember them being lame about non LMC people riding.

ininerider

Chimp
Jul 5, 2009
Banner Elk NC
You can get a map of the beech mountain (Emerald Outback) trails off of the bikebeechmtn website or from the visitors center. It is located directly across the street from beech mtns suweet putt putt. Cant miss the blue astro turf...The trails at LMC are in Banner Elk and begin below the damn at the mill pond.

BeechCruz

Chimp
Sep 17, 2011
Beech Mtn, NC
Click the pic for a larger version. The Baby G and the Emerald Extreme trails have been combined into a sweet Super D. Just remember after taking the left on Powerline trail toward the Super D that you need to be shuttled back up the mountain to Beech Mtn Resort from Buckeye Rec Center.

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Boone, NC -> Cleveland, Oh
Quick heads up for the Emerald Outback: on Sunday 9/25 between about 1130 and 1230 there will be about 100 or so idiots riding up the winter road, through the big gate, and up the backbone into the woods and through the gate into Eagles Nest. Trails will still all be open and ridable, but if you see a giant pack of people suffering on CX bikes let them by. Details here: www.ThreePeaksUSA.com

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I would personally kick the ass of anyone who tries to run off any serious rider on our ds track...:think: The signs are all about liability. We were planning on going out there and adding ASU to the signs in marker.

Also, our new on campus DH trail is nearly finished. Come out and help ride it in! It's looking pretty sick right now. Anyone familiar with the XC rock garden... Think that, but at DH speed after a long, loose, steep descent.

fourseven

Chimp
Jul 23, 2011
Beech Mountain
I would personally kick the ass of anyone who tries to run off any serious rider on our ds track...:think: The signs are all about liability. We were planning on going out there and adding ASU to the signs in marker.

Also, our new on campus DH trail is nearly finished. Come out and help ride it in! It's looking pretty sick right now. Anyone familiar with the XC rock garden... Think that, but at DH speed after a long, loose, steep descent.
where is it?

trap121

Monkey
May 26, 2011

?????? Do you have an address or any more details?

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I'm not too big on giving directions to trails on the internet, but PM me and we'll work out a time to ride this weekend. Or if you're looking for XC I can point you in the right direction and theres a 95% chance you'll run into someone cool to ride with.

trap121

Monkey
May 26, 2011
I checked out the parking lot and maps for the emerald outback today. I went up ski loft rd to the greenway where the signs point for EO. I plan to ride it tomorrow but need some clarification on a few things. First, do i follow signs on ski loft rd to the trails or is there another direction? Second, Do the trails eventually lead back to the parking lot by town hall or do they come out somewhere else?

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Trap-you will not be able to access summer rd from ski loft. Drive past the entrance to the resort where they are charging for parking and take the first left. Stay on that rd and keep right until you pass mariah circle. Make a left immediately after mariah circle and stay on that road. It eventually turns into gravel and you can drive all of the way to oz if you want.

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Boone, NC -> Cleveland, Oh
Dan Scagnelli from the Town posted tons of great new maps all over the place to make getting around easy. I believe Brad is wrong (congrats on the win today!) and the Summer Rd will be open to cyclists wishing to ride up to the trails.

fourseven

Chimp
Jul 23, 2011
Beech Mountain
Dan Scagnelli from the Town posted tons of great new maps all over the place to make getting around easy. I believe Brad is wrong (congrats on the win today!) and the Summer Rd will be open to cyclists wishing to ride up to the trails.
Imma hit your SuperD and ride the XC in the morning if anyone wants to go. I'd be happy to show anyone around. Although I park at the top of the west bowl and climb N. Pinnacle

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
you might be able to ride bikes through but as far as parking goes there were closed signs up on both side of summer rd.

trap121

Monkey
May 26, 2011
Summer Rd was open to bikes, We rode almost all the trails. When we got to the powerline trl sign we continued on. That was a big mistake. I have no clue where it took us but we did not see any more trail signs after that. Eventually, we started seeing bike race signs with arrows pointing up the road. So we followed the signs until they disappeared. It took us to the middle of a horse farm, as we were riging up the gravel road we got surrounded by huge curious horses. Came to a locked gate, threw our bikes over, then climbed and read the sign on the gate. Eagles Nest Horse Farm. I have never heard my wife complain so much, at one point I thought she was gonna collapse. Still had a good time though

ryan12210

Chimp
Oct 14, 2007
Summer Rd was open to bikes, We rode almost all the trails. When we got to the powerline trl sign we continued on. That was a big mistake. I have no clue where it took us but we did not see any more trail signs after that. Eventually, we started seeing bike race signs with arrows pointing up the road. So we followed the signs until they disappeared. It took us to the middle of a horse farm, as we were riging up the gravel road we got surrounded by huge curious horses. Came to a locked gate, threw our bikes over, then climbed and read the sign on the gate. Eagles Nest Horse Farm. I have never heard my wife complain so much, at one point I thought she was gonna collapse. Still had a good time though
We did the same thing. If you'd have taken a right at the bottom you would have come out near the rec center. We found that out ab

ryan12210

Chimp
Oct 14, 2007
We did the same thing. If you'd have taken a right at the bottom you would have come out near the rec center. We found that out about 2 hours late though.