Quantcast

Trails near Cashiers, NC

Gunnar75

Chimp
May 16, 2007
Anyone got the skinny on any trails new Cashiers/Lake Toxaway? Going up for the weekend with some friends but would like some DH/shuttle/hike within the vicinity. I know about pisgah and Dupont anything local would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
mtbman1127 is pretty much dead on. Cashiers for all it seems to be civilized is frickin' remote in terms of access to anything resembling MTB trails. You're really close to Panthertown Valley which has a ton of trails, but the FS just got them a few years ago & they aren't charted & loops aren't really established.

But if you want to ride DH, there is a shuttle in Cullowhee. You can park in Cullowhee at the restaurant down at the river. Then drive out & up to the very top of the gravel on Moses Creek. It dead ends into Wayehuta ATV park(roughly 30 minute drive to the top). Climb across the bank w/ bike and push up the insanely steep trail on your left. At the top, lower your seatpost & take every left there is that is an open trail. You'll have two 30 second to 2 minute climbs and 30-40 minutes of pure massive rollers, monstrous berms & butt puckering speed & adrenaline. You pop out on a gravel road below the ATV parking area. Turn left on the gravel & roll about 4 miles downhill on gravel then pavement right back to the car.

If you're not up for that...just drive straight into Pisgah in Brevard...20 minutes straight shot down Hwy64. It's literally your only other option.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
i live in cullowhee and there is a few atv trails you could hike up and bomb down over here but after that...um...nothing :plthumbsdown::shakefist:
ever ride the Forest Service trails over the crest of the mountain behind the Elementary school across the 5 lane from campus? can't remeber what it was called but an awesome trail that pops out on a gravel road(well, gravel when I was at WCU) then down a steep paved road back toward the elementary..?

We used to shuttle it. You drive to the top of this steep paved road, turn left on a gravel road & the trail is on your right on FS land. We called it the Goat Trails when I was there. Mike Mooney cleared it out back then. Also, you can shuttle into Wayehutta from over near Balsam. B4 you get to the parkway, there is a paved road on your right. After a while it turns to gravel and comes into the left side of Wayehuta(if you're looking at Wayehuta from campus on a map that is).

Or ever done the 26 mile descent from up near Black Balsam on the parkway that comes into the top of Wayehuta?

Last edited:

wiL

Monkey
Nov 28, 2006
Greenville, SC
Its really lame that area doesn't have more trails considering the terrain.

Panthertown is like a maze of interconnecting network of overgrown double track, little bits of single track here and there and a **** ton of getting your ass lost. I'd like to get up there and figure a good ride route out since there's nothing else in the area, but I'd probably end up getting lost there again trying to do so...

Gunnar75

Chimp
May 16, 2007
I ended up riding Gorges State Park over to Nantahla National Forest. We logged about 23 miles of double track, it was pretty much straight up and straight down. I can honestly say, I've never suffered so bad in my life. Should have taken my xc instead of the sx trail. First 3 mils was at 2100+- and dropped to 1400+- Auger hole trail, fun when it started and sucked after 4hrs of riding.
Thanks for the info.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I was actually gonna suggest Gorges State Park because I just noticed on the map that there is one trail that is bike friendly. Which parking lot did you use? I hear the one near the Horsepasture river is closed for construction or something.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Its really lame that area doesn't have more trails considering the terrain.

Panthertown is like a maze of interconnecting network of overgrown double track, little bits of single track here and there and a **** ton of getting your ass lost. I'd like to get up there and figure a good ride route out since there's nothing else in the area, but I'd probably end up getting lost there again trying to do so...
I think I spent an entire day hiking single track out there once. We got lost and ended up at some swimhole called Devil's Elbow. It was really cool but not sure if it'd be a good bike ride or not. I'm still surprised we made it out of there before dark. :biggrin:

Gunnar75

Chimp
May 16, 2007
Actually we went to Frozen Creek Access Park. After we made it to the National Forest all of the signs showed 4 wheel drive access through the park. It would of made it hella easier than push/pedal.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Actually we went to Frozen Creek Access Park. After we made it to the National Forest all of the signs showed 4 wheel drive access through the park. It would of made it hella easier than push/pedal.
sounds like some serious self induced punishment.:cupidarrow:

Yeah..so Brevard or Wayehuta. Everything else involves banjo's and BBQ.

Gunnar75

Chimp
May 16, 2007
I got that impression down by the river! I just started to think what would Burt do if they said boy you got a purdy mouth :huh: