Quantcast

training advice please help

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I had my training plan all set up untill they changed the time and now it's all screwed up.

For my preperation which i have another 3 weeks left of i do
this.

Monday weights than 10km run
Tuesday 2 hour mountain bike/road ride
Wednsday repeat monday
Thursday repeat tuesday
Friday monday again
Saturday usaully a rest day unless i feel like riding
Sunday i try and do a 3hour ride

I had been doing all this after school.
I stay after school to do weights cause my school has a weight room. Than i run when i get home thats no problem.

Since they've changed the time i don't have time before it gets dark to do a 2 hour ride and it's to freaking cold sub zero.
So i've been doing like a short 45min - 60min rideon trails near my house.

Do any of you have any creative ideas to help me compensate my lack of riding.
There's still no snow so no skiing and it'll be like that just colder and darker right through my Base 1.

Please help
JK

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JMAC
I had my training plan all set up untill they changed the time and now it's all screwed up.

For my preperation which i have another 3 weeks left of i do
this.

Monday weights than 10km run
Tuesday 2 hour mountain bike/road ride
Wednsday repeat monday
Thursday repeat tuesday
Friday monday again
Saturday usaully a rest day unless i feel like riding
Sunday i try and do a 3hour ride

I had been doing all this after school.
I stay after school to do weights cause my school has a weight room. Than i run when i get home thats no problem.

Since they've changed the time i don't have time before it gets dark to do a 2 hour ride and it's to freaking cold sub zero.
So i've been doing like a short 45min - 60min rideon trails near my house.

Do any of you have any creative ideas to help me compensate my lack of riding.
There's still no snow so no skiing and it'll be like that just colder and darker right through my Base 1.

Please help
JK
get a set of rollers yo.....or a trainer. i've been known to do some crazy rides on my trainer, i'd come in from work last year at 10, jump on my trainer and would ride till like 12-1 some nights. i wouldn't recommend riding that late at night from what i found out it can actually do more damage then good. but in your case it would help you out to get a set of rollers or something. rollers are nice b/c they help you smooth out your pedal stroke. you will learn quick on those bad boys if you stroke sucks or not. and if it does you get tossed quick lol. i generally use friday and mondays as active recovery days, meaning if you do anything it's just to get otu and stretch some but nothing that's gonna exhaust any real energy. the real problems i see w/ the program is repeating days, the problem w/ this being you are putting to much concentration on one specific thing and you won't be building a well rounded condition that you'll need for your up coming races this spring. the other problem once again goes back to the repeating the same activities on different days. this seriously doesn't do you much good for long. all it will do is cause your physical condition to flatten out. meaning you'll be strong for a while then just hit a wall not really getting any stronger like you should be. the plan you got for sunday is a good deal. i think the main thing you will want to focus on is just getting miles in and laying down a strong base. don't just cut out intervals in your program or anything but lay down some long rides jsut focusing on your pedal stroke and keeping your hrt rate down. oh and as far as creative ideas, take FULL advantage of the snow, go xc sking that will help you out a lot in the long run. i wish i had snow just for that main reason.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Hum i see i do have a trainer and when i can't ride outside at all i ride on my trainer for about an hour max. It's so boring though maybe it'll be better when i get a TV set up infront.
Since i've been running my pedal stroke has somehow become very smooth i can pedal perfectly at like 150 RPM. Since i got clips at the begining of spring i worked on my pedal stroke all summer cause i know it was important and it is very good now.

I will XC ski but there won't be enough snow till after christmas which will be base 2.

You talk about the problem with repeating. So what should i do for monday-saterday?
For prep and base 1 i will be able to run, weights, trainer bike, outside bike on trails not much, play squash.
Can you please arange a plan with those things?

:help: :love: please

Also i think i'll continue to do weights cause i already see improvements.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Hum i see i do have a trainer and when i can't ride outside at all i ride on my trainer for about an hour max. It's so boring though maybe it'll be better when i get a TV set up infront.
Since i've been running my pedal stroke has somehow become very smooth i can pedal perfectly at like 150 RPM. Since i got clips at the begining of spring i worked on my pedal stroke all summer cause i know it was important and it is very good now.

I will XC ski but there won't be enough snow till after christmas which will be base 2.

You talk about the problem with repeating. So what should i do for monday-saterday?
For prep and base 1 i will be able to run, weights, trainer bike, outside bike on trails not much, play squash.
Can you please arange a plan with those things?

:help: :love: please

Also i think i'll continue to do weights cause i already see improvements.
yeah riding a trainer can get boring, but get a set of rollers and i gurantee you will not get bored, your ass WILL stay awake hehehe. i've seen friends put tire marks on their carpet b/c they thought they could slack off on a set of rollers. there are a few books you might want to check out. one i'd say you have to go and get if you are going to be doing weights is "weight training for cyclist" i think velo prints it out. there is also some cross training books for cyclist check those out as well. well since its winter, or winter training rather, as long as you are doing something structured you will be set. might want to check out gettinga coach buddy. the cts program might work for you but i think it's a big rip off. i'm currently under the cycle smart program and that works extremely well. www.cycle-smart.com adam and john know their shiet. check em out

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well i looked at the Cycle-Smart it's would be a good idea but i don't want to put that amount of money down cause i'm only 15 so i want to see were i end up at the end of next season than i'd more likely go for something like that.
If i do really well next year on my own my parents are very supportive and will likely pay or at least help for something like that coaching thing. My parents are already willing to have me fly to BC to do some of the Canada Cups there.

Well i see about also getting a set of rollers as they only cost about 100 or 150 from my LBS were as my trainer was 250$.
What would really make me fast is this 1000$ trainer my LBS has which has virtual races on both road and MT.

You see i didn't realy think about repeating things and stuff cause i thought the prep and base 1 were mainly endurance and general fitness. Than you move into more bike and race specific workouts. I went riding today and it's just to freaking cold. So how should i combine running, and biking on manly my trainer, squash, weights?
Could you just give me suggestions on which days they should go on and i can figure out how much i should and can do.

Thanks alot for all your help so far you've been the most helpfull person that i haven't even met.:) :thumb:

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Well i looked at the Cycle-Smart it's would be a good idea but i don't want to put that amount of money down cause i'm only 15 so i want to see were i end up at the end of next season than i'd more likely go for something like that.
If i do really well next year on my own my parents are very supportive and will likely pay or at least help for something like that coaching thing. My parents are already willing to have me fly to BC to do some of the Canada Cups there.

Well i see about also getting a set of rollers as they only cost about 100 or 150 from my LBS were as my trainer was 250$.
What would really make me fast is this 1000$ trainer my LBS has which has virtual races on both road and MT.

You see i didn't realy think about repeating things and stuff cause i thought the prep and base 1 were mainly endurance and general fitness. Than you move into more bike and race specific workouts. I went riding today and it's just to freaking cold. So how should i combine running, and biking on manly my trainer, squash, weights?
Could you just give me suggestions on which days they should go on and i can figure out how much i should and can do.

Thanks alot for all your help so far you've been the most helpfull person that i haven't even met.:) :thumb:
yeah cycle smart starts to add up over time. but i think their program works a lot better then cts and give you a better bang for your buck. and yes prep(base 1) stuff is generally endurance type workouts but you don't want to completely drop your sprint workouts all together. i've never used cross training so i wouldn't be exactly be the best person to talk to about how to organzie all of that. normally this is how i have my schedule set up... monday = active recovery day, tuesday = sprint work outs, wensday = decently long ride w/ mostly leasy and light zone workouts and some medium, thursday = longer ride w/ mostly staying in light w/ a decent amount of medium, little hard, and some submax efforts. friday = active recovery day, saturday = sprint work outs (opens legs for race, or atleast this works for me), sunday = race day or long ride. go back to the cycle smart site and go to the sample program and read that and you'll understand the zones i'm talking about. i wouldn't worry about getting that $1000 thing w/ the races on it, you shouldn't be doing race type situations every day espically during off season training. that wouldn't really make you fast. just putting miles is what is going to make you fast, not $1000 pieces of equipment. go to the C. cup races if you want, if i were you i'd go to mt sainte anne and mt snow next year. go to what races you can but don't really worry about racing every weekend, i'd say at max i'd do 20-23 mtn races at max for your year. try and pick up some road races, road racing will help your fitness out big time and you actually come out of a road race in better physical condition then you do out of a mtn bike race. generaly mtn bike races just beat your body up and wear you out and if you continue to do them weekend after weekend you are just going to get burnt out. hey man it's no problem i remember starting out my racing career as a junior and thankfully i had pro's n other ppl down here to turn to for advice. i'll go ahead and tell you this straight up, if you seriously want to go pro you pretty much have to shut out any social life. not trying to sound like an ass but if you don't have one already then you are set, but if you do you are pretty much gonna have to decide between racing and social life. i'd probably be a lot stronger right now and further a long than i actually am if i hadn't gotten sucked into the life i neglected b/c of racing.....

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well i want to become pro that would be great both my parents are and were very athletic my grandfather is 80 and he still runs like 6km a day and down hill and XC skies. So i figure i have decent genes. I have a very strong mental power for racing I'm very good at acheving my goals.
Just being a mountain biker usaully sets you in a different group of people. Somehow i seem tobe one of the more popular people in my grade even though i race and train all the time.
The nice thing about Quebec is there's alot of sports and stuff and lots of people are into fitness. So i always have friends that will do weights with me and ride with me on my recovery days. I realize that more and more i've stopped riding with my freinds cause no one can come even close to keeping up.

Mt snow is in vermont and is not a Canada cup. But there's about 3-4 that are near anough that i can go to. My main thing is the Quebec cups. I will also be doing some raids 50km -180km races that will win because almost no one my age does them i got 2nd in a 55km raid this summer and i was racing against 20 15-80 year olds and i finsihed 4 min from the front. At that time it was the longest ride i'd ever done. After that race i really got into racing and was riding 50km a day to build up my endurance.

The sample they give do you just repeat that over and over again?
What i could do for endurance is run like 1hour than very quikly get on my trainer and ride for an hour. I think i'm going to get rollers if you think they're worth it.
It's snowing right now so skiing might be sooner than i think. buts its suppose to melt tommorow.

Should i race XC skiing would it do anything for me or just mess me up.
Also what are the chances of me becoming pro is it just some stupid thing i want to do that will never happen. If i train hard enough are my chances good? Everyone says i'm just a natural at biking i became faster than all my friends very fast in both technique and fittness. I also went from the begining of the summer in the middle to back of races and now race beside people who have been racing and training for many years and are older than me.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Well i want to become pro that would be great both my parents are and were very athletic my grandfather is 80 and he still runs like 6km a day and down hill and XC skies. So i figure i have decent genes. I have a very strong mental power for racing I'm very good at acheving my goals.
Just being a mountain biker usaully sets you in a different group of people. Somehow i seem tobe one of the more popular people in my grade even though i race and train all the time.
The nice thing about Quebec is there's alot of sports and stuff and lots of people are into fitness. So i always have friends that will do weights with me and ride with me on my recovery days. I realize that more and more i've stopped riding with my freinds cause no one can come even close to keeping up.

Mt snow is in vermont and is not a Canada cup. But there's about 3-4 that are near anough that i can go to. My main thing is the Quebec cups. I will also be doing some raids 50km -180km races that will win because almost no one my age does them i got 2nd in a 55km raid this summer and i was racing against 20 15-80 year olds and i finsihed 4 min from the front. At that time it was the longest ride i'd ever done. After that race i really got into racing and was riding 50km a day to build up my endurance.

The sample they give do you just repeat that over and over again?
What i could do for endurance is run like 1hour than very quikly get on my trainer and ride for an hour. I think i'm going to get rollers if you think they're worth it.
It's snowing right now so skiing might be sooner than i think. buts its suppose to melt tommorow.

Should i race XC skiing would it do anything for me or just mess me up.
Also what are the chances of me becoming pro is it just some stupid thing i want to do that will never happen. If i train hard enough are my chances good? Everyone says i'm just a natural at biking i became faster than all my friends very fast in both technique and fittness. I also went from the begining of the summer in the middle to back of races and now race beside people who have been racing and training for many years and are older than me.
alright let me say this first of all, please do not think i'm trying to be rude or anything i'm just being straight foward w/ you. it's hard to tell at however old you are that you are going to be pro. a lot of the local pro's thought that about me and a bunch of juniors that i've grown up w/ racing. now that's not to say that i still don't have a chance at turning pro, b/c i still do and so do many of my friends. however i wouldn't set on turning pro right out of junior, i honestly do not believe any junior should go straight from junior into pro. the main reason look at any junior national champions or strong juniors who are still racing in pro and has made it somewhere.........the only 2 would be mr current norba national champ pimpin polo jeremy and adam craig, adam is sitll in it b/c he doesn't listen to what any one tells him and does his own thing. if you turn pro good job but i wouldn't worry about it so much. i'm lucky enough that i've gotten places w/ in the industry that i could possibly get an inside job if i don't go pro, sayin that i have a chance. and who says just stick w/ canada cup stuff? i mean if mt snow is w/ in driving distance or whatever do it, the more high level racing you can get the better you will be down the road. why i highly recommend racing senior at the local races. i mean if only one or 2 juniors show up that's not much of a race....b/c when you go to norba nationals, canada cups, or world cups there are going to be 50-80 juniors possibly...and yes w/ the sample week, that's the set up EVERY week unless i race on friday, then i'd flop some days around so i will be ready for friday instead of sunday and so on. the only thing that changes is the amount of time i ride each day through out the week. the program is a 4 week cycle, meaning that i build on my hours for 3 weeks straight(1st week 8 hours, 2nd week 10, 3rd week 11.5?) something along those lines, then a recovery week that would be maybe 6.5 hours, then you will build a little more like the next cycle will have the first week at 8.5 or 9 hours....kinda get what i'm sayin? you are gonna build endurance just from getting hours in man. see here's the thing that i hope you understand, some juniors develop quickly and get fast quickly, and others dont' and that's great that you improved that quickly w/ in your class but you still got a long way to go buddy. i was racing sport, i was doing races where our junior class would start almost last w/ 2 minute intervals between each class and i would pass everyone except for maybe one person and most of those guys where ppl who had been training for years. then i moved up to expert, bigggggg change in the game buddy. just remember there's always someone out there who is faster then you and always someone out there who you can learn from.....hey what's your email addy, i've got something from my coach about weight training that you need to read before you start doing weight training seriously.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
My e-mail is t5lightning@yahoo.ca

Well hell i don't want to become pro for like 3-5 years at least cause i love racing and once you're the best you can only go down from there than die which sucks.

Each Quebec cup i race in has about 60-75 ppl in my age group in the normal ones the finals have more.
The Canada Cup has i think 100 or so maybe more in each race so i getting lots of ppl to race against. This one guy who's my age is 3rd in Canada and he wins ever Quebec cup he's amazing he's like pro speed cause he doesn't just win but he wins by like 5 mins like Roland.
I geuss i could do some races at MT snow it's drivable and i could finally race against the english instead of these wacked out french dudes.

I want to do some road racing next year just for something todo and my LBS would love me because he's mainly a road shop and thats all he does.

It's just a matter of finding a racable road bike than getting money. Any suggestions?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
My e-mail is t5lightning@yahoo.ca

Well hell i don't want to become pro for like 3-5 years at least cause i love racing and once you're the best you can only go down from there than die which sucks.

Each Quebec cup i race in has about 60-75 ppl in my age group in the normal ones the finals have more.
The Canada Cup has i think 100 or so maybe more in each race so i getting lots of ppl to race against. This one guy who's my age is 3rd in Canada and he wins ever Quebec cup he's amazing he's like pro speed cause he doesn't just win but he wins by like 5 mins like Roland.
I geuss i could do some races at MT snow it's drivable and i could finally race against the english instead of these wacked out french dudes.

I want to do some road racing next year just for something todo and my LBS would love me because he's mainly a road shop and thats all he does.

It's just a matter of finding a racable road bike than getting money. Any suggestions?
wow that'as pretty big. but winning a race by 5 minutes at that level isn't that big, at that level not to many kids are that close to each other's skill level so you should expect to see wins like that. but yeah go to mt snow for sure for the norba finals, a lot of ppl from canada normally come down for that race. and yes go out and do road races for sure. how tall are you?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I'm 6'2'' i ride a 21'' mountain bike.

Well one thing you have to know is that Quebec is filled with french. The french are crasy people for some reason they really like riding bikes. Nicolas Voulez, Cedric Gracia, Anne- Caroline Chaussen they are all French people and they have tour de france all that stuff and for some reason the Quebecers are like that to. I'd say about half the ppl at the Quebec cups are trying very hard to be the best they're most likely training their asses off for next year they're all crasy like you and me.
All my races are usally close finishes like sprints at the finsihes to pass the next guy but this guy is insane and he's got a crasy name to Raphael Gange.

I think by the time Junoir starts all the crappy riders how can't be bothered quit. So it should be more interresting.

Ow and that sample training plan do you just repeat i see now how you get endurance but is it just the same 4 week cycle?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
I'm 6'2'' i ride a 21'' mountain bike.

Well one thing you have to know is that Quebec is filled with french. The french are crasy people for some reason they really like riding bikes. Nicolas Voulez, Cedric Gracia, Anne- Caroline Chaussen they are all French people and they have tour de france all that stuff and for some reason the Quebecers are like that to. I'd say about half the ppl at the Quebec cups are trying very hard to be the best they're most likely training their asses off for next year they're all crasy like you and me.
All my races are usally close finishes like sprints at the finsihes to pass the next guy but this guy is insane and he's got a crasy name to Raphael Gange.

I think by the time Junoir starts all the crappy riders how can't be bothered quit. So it should be more interresting.

Ow and that sample training plan do you just repeat i see now how you get endurance but is it just the same 4 week cycle?
ok go do this tomorrow, go and just run or do something, if you decide to ride tomorrow ride for about an hour and then fill this out from page 3 and send it back to me, just like as far as all your measurements written down don't send the entire attachment i don't need all that JUST the measurements. if you actually FIt the bike i have i can hook ya up w/ a Ti Crown Jewel w/ a full carbon fork, ritchey stem, deda bars, thomson post, campy centar 10sp, brand new front rim relaced by a former mavic employe, brand new rear wheel w/ a chorus hub, both wheels have mavic open pro wheels. i'd hook ya up w/ the bike for 2200 (greenbacks buddy we don't take that crazy canadian shiet here) and that includes regular ground shipping. the bike has only been under me and i didn't ride long on it i only had it since late april. the frame and fork alone will retail for 2800 + tax. however if the bike doesn't fit you then i'd say forget about it...b/c i wouldn't want to sell someoen a bike that doesn't fit. but no you don't do the same amount of time each four week cycle, you increase the amount of time in each cycle. so say you use the first example i gave you for the first cycle right, then you'd increase your time for the week by a little bit, say maybe 9 hours for the first then 11 for the second and so on. i mean these are all just examples.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Hun what are talking about fill out for PG 3 i'm confused and please use paragraphs. Seperate things a little no offence but it's so confusing. I don't have 2200 $ and in US from Canadian thats crasy super money you sure you wouldn't rather nice colorfull canadain money. If i get a road bike i have toi wait till spring when i'd even have a chance of having the money cause i have to spent money on upgrades right now.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Hun what are talking about fill out for PG 3 i'm confused and please use paragraphs. Seperate things a little no offence but it's so confusing. I don't have 2200 $ and in US from Canadian thats crasy super money you sure you wouldn't rather nice colorfull canadain money. If i get a road bike i have toi wait till spring when i'd even have a chance of having the money cause i have to spent money on upgrades right now.
pg 3 = page 3, and i don't like to use paragraphs lol. and no my greenbacks are fine you can have your silly girly lil canadian bills.... :D and that's cool you don't have to buy my road ibke i didn't want you to buy it anyways :eek:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
No crap pg 3=page 3 read your post and you try to understand it.:D Never dis canadain money it's so much nicer than american money i don't care if it's girlly compared to yours it's should be since we have hotter chix up here.:D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
No crap pg 3=page 3 read your post and you try to understand it.:D Never dis canadain money it's so much nicer than american money i don't care if it's girlly compared to yours it's should be since we have hotter chix up here.:D

http://ifbikes.com/img/frames/fit_form.pdf
LOL oooooops i forgot to put the link. cllick theeeeeeere and you'll understand what i'm talking about.....and ok yeah sure you guys do lol, like w/ the racing forum i'll let you continue to think that buddy.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
LMAO you dad didn't teach you that you don't look at their faces anyways so what does it matter what they look like :D :devil:

hehehe jk :cool:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
You american it's more than just the body :rolleyes: geess we are talking about the same thing right:think:
Everyone know that Quebec has some of the hottest girls in the world if you don't beleive me just ask some other guys on the :monkey:
Americans:nopity:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
So many mesurements so little time i'm just to lasy right now to do all that.

What should i get a 3/4'' rise 24'' wide easton monkey lite carbon riser or a raceface flat bar.
Would it be better for me to use a flat bar or a riser i used a 2 inch riser for racing over the summer but now i'm using a flat bar. Is the added stablility of a riser worth it over the racyness of a flatbar.:confused:

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
So many mesurements so little time i'm just to lasy right now to do all that.

What should i get a 3/4'' rise 24'' wide easton monkey lite carbon riser or a raceface flat bar.
Would it be better for me to use a flat bar or a riser i used a 2 inch riser for racing over the summer but now i'm using a flat bar. Is the added stablility of a riser worth it over the racyness of a flatbar.:confused:
depends, its' all a personal preference i'm perfectly comfortable w/ a flat bar and ride technical stuff just fine w/ it. if you still have the riser bar, ride w/ it in during the winter and see how it feels then switch to the flat bar and see which you think you personally will feel more comfortable w/. i still think if you are gonna go w/ a flat bar id' say fu/ck the race face and go w/ an easton....you are gonna have to replace that RF al. bar after 2 years b/c that's all an al. bar is worth.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I'd replace a carbon bar after 2 years cause i don't trust them.
The riser i have is a 2'' rise which is way to much with my flat bar i'm totally comfortable in technicle everything. It's just that with the flat bar my handle is like 4-5" below my seat hight.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
I'd replace a carbon bar after 2 years cause i don't trust them.
The riser i have is a 2'' rise which is way to much with my flat bar i'm totally comfortable in technicle everything. It's just that with the flat bar my handle is like 4-5" below my seat hight.
sounds bout right to me......i'd just say stick w/ the flat.