Quantcast

Training bike..alternative from road bike?

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
So I dont get to ride during the week and its hard to get in shape riding 1 or 2 days on the weekends. So since their are no trails near my house I was thinking maybe to get a road type bike. I dunno if a full on road bike makes sense but was wondering what other people did. Would a hybrid road bike be a good idea? What do u ride?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The only good thing about road riding is speed, hybrids are not designed for speed - they're designed for comfort. I say go for a road or cross bike. Kona Jake the Snake, slightly used for $500.00 or $600.00

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im exactly like you. I only get to ride the mountain bike once or twice a week if Im lucky.

I ride my road bike for an hour before work. I can usually get 20+ miles in. Since Im not worried about speed I got a hybrid. I bought a Kona Dew Deluxe. I already have about 1000 miles on it. Ive lost about 30 lbs this year. When I do ride my mountain bike, Im in great shape.

I like the flat bar idea since it feels more like my mountain bike. I even put an EA70 DH handlebar on it.

http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/DEWDELUXE/index.html

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
I dont live far from the beach so I will prolly drive down to the beach. I dont really want to clip in and I wont be wearing the tight road gear clothes. What is the main difference between a road bike and hybrid? What would be the +/- of each?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Differences? Geometry, riding position, power transfer dynamic... if you are just tooling around town I guess a road bike isn't required. I'd just continue riding my MTB down to the beach. Saves money...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The Kona Dew line is almost like a mountain bike with road bike wheels. The price is right too. Did you check out the link above that I posted?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Differences? Geometry, riding position, power transfer dynamic... if you are just tooling around town I guess a road bike isn't required. I'd just continue riding my MTB down to the beach. Saves money...
I agree.

Why not just ride your mtb in-town for exercise?

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
Thx Kanter i did...looks like a great deal for a very cool looking bike. So the ride is comfy?

I ride a Bottlerocket which is a small bike , not the lightest and not the best pedaling bike. Its also a flashy bike and I have to drive through a not so great area...so I prefer to leave my 4k bike home and ride something else not as flashy and will pedal much better.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Just curious, how do you do 20 miles in an hour on a flat barred bike? Are you starting at the top of a mountain?
Its actually not that hard, unless you have bad shoulders. You can still put aero bars on a flatbar if you wanted.

As far sa the question of the thread, if your going to buy a bike, get a full on road bike, youll end up liking it alot, and the cross training you get is awesome, I get to ride DH/FR once maybe twice a week and ride road three or four. the combo is great, and I see an improvement in my Spin in the dirt also. Cool part about getting the road bike is you dont Need to spend a ton of cash to get a good ride, but plan on spending bout a grand to get a good bike with decent groupo that wont wear out in a year. would suggest at leat a 105 group if you can

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
It may sound stupid but i feel like I would look really dumb riding a road bike in baggy shorts and a t shirt without clipless...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
It may sound stupid but i feel like I would look really dumb riding a road bike in baggy shorts and a t shirt without clipless...
So, dont wear baggies. Just wear your Lycra. It really is more comfy anyways. I used to say NEVER no lycra, always Baggies, till one day on an eleven mile spin i was really overheating. So i tossed the Cover baggies off and finished in teh Lycra only. Much better. And noone says you Must wear clipless, but it does produce a better spin and personally i think a better overall feel

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Just curious, how do you do 20 miles in an hour on a flat barred bike? Are you starting at the top of a mountain?
Um no.

I go almost 20 miles in an hour on a rolling paved road. Actually the loop I do is 16 miles and I do it in 49:10,so I average about 19mph. I cant keep that pace for more than an hour though. Ive been riding a lot on the road lately. Im in decent shape.

I have buddys that average over 20mph on roads rides. Why do you find it so unbelievable?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I just ordered a Kona Unit 2-9. It will be my commuter and it is set up for gears if I decide I'm too much of a wuss for the SS.

I used to commute on my DH bike, 9 miles on a 46 pound 8 speed was a real workout!

L

luelling

I say go with a cross bike. Its fast on the road like a road bike, but can go anywhere. Sometimes I ride mine out to the trails and then ride the trails with it. They tend to be pretty beef, meant to take abuse.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
There are several rocky/dirt sections on my regular ride, 5-6 for about two miles worth of rough riding. I do it on my road bike, so I appreciate what people say about cross bikes, but road bikes can still handle the garbage.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
If you just want a bike to beat around with...why not find an old 80's something steel road bike and turn it into a single speed or fixed gear? Then get some manpris and a Che Guervara t-shirt from the Gap and you'll be stylie.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
My mtn bike is not an option for the reasons I mentioned above...also I wnat something I cna just grand and ride when I get home for work and not have to worry about switching parts out. i am going to look at the specialized sirrius this weekend. I wnat to check the kona out but no dealers near me. if I do not like the specialized I may chance it with the Kona since I have had konas before and know they are pretty good and the fact its pretty cheap

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I second the cross bike recommendation. If you aren't racing then who cares about the speed difference between that and a road. They can go almost anywhere and are fun.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
My mtn bike is not an option for the reasons I mentioned above...also I wnat something I cna just grand and ride when I get home for work and not have to worry about switching parts out. i am going to look at the specialized sirrius this weekend. I wnat to check the kona out but no dealers near me. if I do not like the specialized I may chance it with the Kona since I have had konas before and know they are pretty good and the fact its pretty cheap
The Jake or the Dew?

I still say to consider the cross bike. It leaves your options open and covers all the bases. Chances are pretty high that if you start riding on the road, that you'll like it and eventually crave the speed that you see roadies doing. With a cross bike, you can put on the skinny road tires and enjoy a fast ride, or you can put on thicker knobbies to handle more conditions and check out some trails.

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
I was in the same position.
I walked into a LBS and told the guy "I mountain bike on the weekends with my friends, they are kicking my ass, I want something I can ride during the week so I'm not so out of shape for the weekends." (I had some money to burn and wanted a new bike anyway)

I ended up with a Trek 7.3.

A year or so later, I think I'd rather have a CX bike. From what I hear they are just as sturdy as my hybrid (which has been great around town, running over potholes, off curbs, crappy roads, etc with no problems) but more comfortable for long rides (for a number of reasons).

my $0.02, YMMV

antm

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
miami, fl
Nah, it's not that bad. I ride my road bike with baggies, adidas hematomas, xen helmet and a tee. I do get weird looks from the roadies, but who cares!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I ride my Dew Deluxe with baggies, Oakley DH clipless shoes, mountain bike helmet, and DH gloves and the roadies look at me funny too..... especially when I pass them. :)

My Dew Deluxe weighs 22 lbs with heavy tires (650g each). Ive done some long gravel roads with this bike and it does great. If I changed the tires I could get it under 20lbs. The reason I went with a flat bar bike is because it is so much more comfortable than a road bike. I wanted something that was close to a mountain bike feel that I could ride on the road. I have no problems keeping up with road bikers either. Plus its fun bunny hoping holes and cracks in the pavement. :)

My wife rides the plain Dew. Both bikes for about a grand isnt bad considering I have about $10k in our mountain bikes.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
The 2008 Specialized Langster and Tricross are nice. You can pick your city with the Langster too....

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
Well called my local kona dealer and he only has a dew deluxe in 56 which is way to big, he called kona and they are out of 2007s. I am not sure when the 08s are coming out I have yet to find a pic or get the specs..

I was going to look at the specialized crosstrail but those are sold out as well and no 08 info or availability.

:(