Quantcast

Training during the race season

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
If you're doing say one race a week what should you be doing during the week to still make improvements i only have maybe one really important race every 2 weeks.

ckooi

Monkey
Aug 19, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
Originally posted by JMAC
If you're doing say one race a week what should you be doing during the week to still make improvements i only have maybe one really important race every 2 weeks.
I am doing a race every 3 months...

Weekly:
Gym at least once
Hit the trail x 3
Jogging x 2

This is my first year trying to compete in all rounds... Planning on diet, but don't have a clear guide. Care to share any ?

Iron_Dingo

Chimp
Feb 26, 2003
Hartford, CT
Originally posted by JMAC
Every race is a really important race because you are constantly learning new things each time you race. Treat each race as if it were the most important and you will do better.

As far as working out goes, we still have a few months here until racing begins. I usually do a daily workout on my upper body. I do a combination of curls, bench presses and lifts to work my arms and back. I usually do about 400 crunches as soon as I get up. I've started using weights so I have more to lift. As far as my diet, i stay away from fatty foods and keep to a high protien/low carb diet. Lots of fruits,veggies, red meats and grains. I drink alot of water to keep hydrated and help flush out any toxins in my body. As far as the mental stuff goes, I usually work out to a marine cadence-i've found it keeps me thinking positively. I haven't done much meditation in a while and its been years since I've been to the studio, but I still practice my basic blocks just to keep my reaction time up to par. I try to train throughout the year to keep my schedule simple and constant.

Topaz

Chimp
Jul 6, 2002
Woodland Hills
I consider my non important races as training rides. If I can I get an extra lap in before or after the race and I do a hard ride the day before.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well ya i have a training plan that i've been sticking to that goes up to my first big race. But my question is that Freil only shows how to peak for a couple big races every year but if i'm doing a race a week all of which i consider important how do i train with those i can't just peak each week can I? Also summer during the racing season is when i would be able to do my longest rides and do the most training. How do i train during the racing season to still make big improvements?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ok how should i during the summer do my riding? I want to ride alot and say i have a race every saterday i want to do well in all of them but only a few that are really important and i would do the proper taper stuff. How should i have it planned out that i get enough rest before and after to do well but fit in workouts that will still make me improve alot over the summer?