Quantcast

Transition Bandit

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Yup.... I'm in eastern PA..Lancaster, actually. Had to work this AM. Rode in on my Surly Cross check... snow had switched to sleet by then.... stung my face the whole way..... Going to Ray's next wkend though.
Will be keeping an eye on your Bandit project though.... Keep the updates coming.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Love the Bandit, the 29er version is on my short list of frames for this spring.

Wanna sell the Imperial? I've always wanted another one after selling mine a few years ago.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Here it is, my bandit, waited on the updated 142mm spacing to pop up, when it did I ordered this guy. The bandit replaces my old covert which was a bit much for the local terrain (and I now own a tr250 for DH/FR). I wrestled with myself on going with the 29’er but settled on the 26 for my riding style. Really amazing bike up close, the parts spec is pretty much exactly what I like with a few exceptions:
Killer bike bill. One day we will ride! :)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Sweet ride!

If you make plans for So. Oregon, PM me and I can show the goods!

I'd suggest going to a single finger set-up instead of the double finger... These be strong brakes. ;)
Thanks man for sure, I have a bunch of friends out there so get out usually atleast once a year. I'll probably be at MBO this year.

And about the Brakes...yeah im aware ha, I actually have these levers paired with saints on my dh bike...fantastic.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Thanks Moni yeah we need to ride asap, I'd like to ride up your way at some point...Never been to Montreal.

I just bought the imperial on a whim, no idea what I am even doing with it...But I have always wanted one so it is awaiting a plan.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Love the Bandit, the 29er version is on my short list of frames for this spring.

Wanna sell the Imperial? I've always wanted another one after selling mine a few years ago.
I was really torn on the 29'er thing, they both look great.

I dont want to sell it at this point but who knows...I'll keep you in mind.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Thanks man for sure, I have a bunch of friends out there so get out usually atleast once a year. I'll probably be at MBO this year.

And about the Brakes...yeah im aware ha, I actually have these levers paired with saints on my dh bike...fantastic.
I couldn't get MBO weeks off from work. Oh well.

I put new XT levers on with my Saints. A worthy upgrade indeed.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
First impressions on the bike is oh my. I got 3 rides in this past week here in the northeast one was a mixed bag of smooth and tech in the dark so it was tough to really get the setup dialed but after that ride I was able to more closely dial in the rear shock.

The second ride was a sloppy as hell technical ish singletrack ride, thank god for those wet screams with the conditions we are having. I was noticing some pedal strikes on my 170mm cranks which isn’t normal for me and realized I was probably sagging a bit much so pumped it up a bit and problem solved.

3rd ride was the most technical rock area in the region, area filled with glacial mine fields, chest height log overs, and big mossy rock roll ins. I rode my covert here regularly and didn’t really miss it. The bandit was an absolute terror in the rock esp with a set of soft high roller 2.3’s. You can absolutely feel the 142 spacing when it gets nasty. I typically like my suspension setup stiff so I was going back and forth between pro pedal and not. I think I am going to put a few more lbs of pressure in the back and leave the pro pedal off which should be the sweet spot. The bike isnt a freeride bike but you can really push the limits with good line choices...

Fork wise I have been riding that revelation for a while, I think the attitude of this bike really asks for a 34mm or 36mm (dropped to 150) to really shine in the rough. I will probably make an adjustment in the near future. For smoother terrain the 32’s will be just fine. That’s it for now but I’ll try to post back every now and then.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Just built this up over the course of my busy week. This is replacing my beloved but troubled spitfire. Swapped most things over from the old ride but did replace my ancient crossmax xl wheelset which had survived 4 or 5 frames. Picked up a ZS lower cup to keep the front end low with the big fork, and got 2 offset bushings to slacken and lower the geometry a bit. Only running one of the offsets at the moment and think this should be pretty nice. My guess at geo is 66.5 up front and I measured the BB at 13.3. First ride tomorrow.

Large frame (old 135x10 drop outs)
RP23 with 1 offset bushing
Fox 36 rc2
Crossmax SX wheels (10mm adapters on the way)
Old saint brakes
The usual other stuff everyone else is running...

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Still loving my Bandit as well!

But outta curiosity, why do you have the rear shock mounted in that orientation?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
With it set like that the propedal lever is set up the way I'm used to (off when flipped to the drive side) so I don't have to think about it--nice since you can't mount it with the dials facing up.

Glad you're liking your rig. You have a vengence on the front of yours don't you?