Quantcast

Transition Double as a DH/lift bike?

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
Looking at some cheap options for doing some lift riding where I live..I'm not going to get seriously into this style of riding so I don't want to drop 5k on something. I've seen a lot of Doubles in the 1500-2000 range, but they're often classified as DJ or DH, which makes me uneasy. I get that it would probably make a crappy climber..Anyone have experience with this build? Thanks!

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
Great..Anyone have experience with sizing on this? I run a typical medium, but the size small/long is throwing me off. I like a compact cockpit for sure as opposed to a longer one. So, I'm thinking maybe I'd like the medium. I run a 22" TT on my Santa Cruz

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I think a Bottle Rocket would be better for that use
What I was going to say. Double's geometry is a bit steep; and the Bottlerocket is still a jumping fool.

For sizing, go by reach and stack figures to determine what's right for you. Transition has always published reach and stack for all of their frames.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Looking at some cheap options for doing some lift riding where I live..I'm not going to get seriously into this style of riding so I don't want to drop 5k on something. I've seen a lot of Doubles in the 1500-2000 range, but they're often classified as DJ or DH, which makes me uneasy. I get that it would probably make a crappy climber..Anyone have experience with this build? Thanks!
The double is a DJ bike with a bit of travel to take the cased jumps survivable. The head angle and the suspension are not set up for DH. I love mine but there is no way I would take it DHing

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
I agree with what a few folks have said before in this thread, The bottlerock would be alot better for what your wanting. You can find some pretty good deals on those as well. Just keep an eye out.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Can you clarify one thing for me. Is this bike a bike specificly for lift riding ? Maybe describe the specific use you have in mind for it because you talk about climbs and chose a double while in the 1.5-2k you can get a pretty capable fr/dh bike with better big hit abilities.