Quantcast

transition double or other

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I get $2000 from my dad as a gradution present. for almost a year, I had my heart set on a mt. cycle rumble or mob w/ a 36 talas.

I want a bike that would be goof for urban/skate park and the ocassion trail/park (lift acess) runs. Thats why the 36, because it has 100-160mm of travel, and the rumble is good from 80-160. I was pretty set on a hard tail (its replacing my kona scrap), because of lightness, response, simplicity, price, pedalability etc... however, as said transition came out with these two bikes. On my scrap, with larger drops and such on to cement, it really hurt my wrists, knees and ankles (I know I sound like a pussy...). I now pretty much have my heart set on a double (because I want the hard tail but like the idea of the 3.5" to take the edge off). I threw the bottle rocket in the mix b/c I read 3 review that said it was a great bike for urban dirtjump and scate park, and my friend has one and it is awesome (I'm not sure I want that much travel though).

I have a freeride/downhill bike, so I don't need a do it all bike. Also, no matter what I get, it will have a 36 talas on it.

Sorry for the long winded post, I'm looking for any suggestions (frame wise).

*oh an trevor, this was written b4 your message, but my internet was down and it wouldn't post

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
bottle rocket is to much bike for skate park.
double looks godd for a full sus play/goof/urban/park bike, although i'ld rather have a HT for that. if you're set on a dualy, i realy like my howler as a trail/play/goof bike, but the CS are to long for skate park jibbery. the doulble is really a one of a kind bike like that.
now that you're getting 2 bikes, they can both be pretty specific. use your big bike for trail and lift runs, and get somthing that might not even be trail worthy for your little bike.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
If you've already got a FR/DH bike, keep your eyes set on a Double or a hardtail. The BottleRockets are simply low-slung short-travel freeride bikes, and will be overkill for urban or a skatepark. Yea, you could ride it urban or at the skatepark, but you would definitely want to have a lighter bike.

The Double is the one the only bikes I've seen of it's kind, other than the Mountain Cycle Battery. The Double is designed for exactly the purpose you described: Dirt Jumping, Park Riding, urban riding, and has just enough travel to take the edge off. I'd say stick with that or a hardtail.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
The Double as you say is designed for what you've said you're looking for. Its going to ride like a hardtail but offer a small buffer in the event you need to take some edge off. I'm not sure what a 36 would look like on a double, which one were you gonna put on it?

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
the double i rode was sweet i just got to parking lot test it but with a stiff platform on the swinger the bike felt just like my trailorpark. the cool thing was its only an ounce or two heavier than my top. sounds like it would be a great bike for you. kevin rides his with a pike so its taller and it still rode great.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I looked at the battery, but with mountain cycle where it is now, I'm not sure it is a smart option. Also, the shock mount looks kind off week (on the top side). It will be a bike taking some large hits to flat (loading docks, stair drops etc). It looks like a slope style bike meant to land w/ nice trannys.

The double looked like a street full susser. The double looks like itsable to take abuse, and not rob me of any energy (the shock will be very stiff, because there is only 3.5").

I guess i'll drop the bottle rocket (never really planned on it, it was kind of a spur of the moment thing).

Any other frames you guys would recommend?

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
I agree with what everyone else has been saying, but really I'd just get a hardtail. In teh longrun its cheaper, simpler and theres less to brake. For the $1000 price tag on the double (frame only...) you could build a sweet complete hardtail.

for park really a fully, even one so short, cant match a ht for performance.

Just my 2 cents...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Why would you want a fully for street?

I say get a Double and then get a cheap BMX bike for street and park, then use the Double for DJ/FR/DH.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
When I say street, I mean jumping off loading docks, stair gaps, across medians, doing wall rides and that stuff. I had a bmx, but it was to big of a geometry change to go from that to a dh bike to a dirt jumper. I would always need like an hour of transition/getting use to it time. Also, I'm 6 foot 2 and bmxs are so damn small (I know that there are a lot of tall roders out there, taller than me even, but I just like 26" or 24" better)

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
I'd look at the evil imperial or the transition vagrant. The double seems like it wouldn't be good at the trails/lift park access that you're talking about. I saw that you already have a DH/freeride bike, so i'd keep a hardtail around if i were you. Plus, a freeride hardtail like the imperial or the vargant is a much better bike for the things you were describing. The double just seems too pure dj and be too steep/short to be able to have much fun on trails. I just wouldn't want to give up the hardtail for skatepark/dj.

I like the imperial because there are groups of guys that set them up for street with a 4" fork, and guys that set them up for DH/freeride with a 6"-8" fork, so with a really adjustable fork, you'd have a good setup for both. I don't know how well the vagrant would do with a fork at 100mm... so you'd have to do some research.

And it's not a matter of being a pussy. Drops to flat hurt. They're pointelessDon't do them too much or very high. You can't tell me they're fun if they hurt.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I lokked at the vagrant and imperial. I like the vagrant, but it is too feeride oriented, and is to big. I do like the imperial, but it seems pretty pricey/heavy for a hard tail, although I am open to opinions. I also was halfway considering the 2006 morphine, in the fox 40 gray(it was slimmed down from the previous ones, but they went back to the thicker,more beefy ones in 07).

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I was in your place about a year ago, i had my heart set on the mountain cycle to use as my do everything freeride/dirt jump bike. I found myself planning to do a bit more bike park type stuff so I ended up going with a bottlerocket as my "big bike" and the top as my hardtail.

I want to point out that I am a rider like you, not super tech when it comes to street...I really like having the hardtail as it is really responsive on the jumps. I guess if you are going to spend alot of time in the woods dj'ing and doing drops/stairgaps the double really is the ticket. If you find alot of your street/dj riding is smoother and groomed like traditional street and dj then i would say keep the big bike for the fr stuff and get a hardtail...

_Bill

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
I lokked at the vagrant and imperial. I like the vagrant, but it is too feeride oriented, and is to big. I do like the imperial, but it seems pretty pricey/heavy for a hard tail, although I am open to opinions. I also was halfway considering the 2006 morphine, in the fox 40 gray(it was slimmed down from the previous ones, but they went back to the thicker,more beefy ones in 07).
the imperial is a 6 lb frame... pretty moderate for a street rig. And i won't deny that it's pricey. But it seemed right up your alley for the versatility. But i guess manhattanprjkt83 is right... if you're not really that tech with street/dirt jump, the double might be a good option.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
As far as small travel beefy fullys go, what about the norco 4by, XXXX, cowan ds, cove hooker, battery? It seems like the double is the best (I think it looks the coolest and would be unique too), as far as application and strength are concerned.

Do you guys agree?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
the imperial is a 6 lb frame... pretty moderate for a street rig. And i won't deny that it's pricey. But it seemed right up your alley for the versatility. But i guess manhattanprjkt83 is right... if you're not really that tech with street/dirt jump, the double might be a good option.
yeah i mean i say i ride "street" but alot of my bmx/true street mtb buds can school me in a park, i am a mountain biker with some bmx influence not the otherway around...Man just go with the double and run the rear end pretty damn firm, you should be happy as hell esp if someone obove said it rides like thier TOP. My top is my favorite jump/street hardtail yet.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I called up transition and there willing to give me a pretty sick deal for a new frame, and the 4way shown in all the picks. I think I like the double more and more.

I'm 6'2" and right on the edge for a short or long. What size should I get. The whole reason why I'm getting it is because my scrap is an xl, and is too big. I don't want to make that mistake again. Since it is a dirtjump/urban rig, do you think the sizes tae in to account the want for a nimble/flickable bike?

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I just call transition and talked to them about what type of riding I want to do, and how I want a double w/ a talas 36. They said they almost all of them want to try a double w/ a 36 (and have been planning on building one up), and that it would be one of the sickest bikes. I think thats what I'm going to do.

I thought about that (24" or 26"). If I got a hardtail, it would have been 24s (or possibly a 26 front, 24 back for a baike ike the rumble w/ their supper steep ht angle). However, I have a new set of trail pimps that are 26", and I think they would match the double better.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, I really don't think it would be a good idea to run a fully on 24s, because the BB would be really low. Other than that it would be pretty dope for DJs.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Yeah, I really don't think it would be a good idea to run a fully on 24s, because the BB would be really low. Other than that it would be pretty dope for DJs.
yeahd DONT do it, if i had 24's on my bottlerocket the bb would be dragging on the ground and from what I understand the double is even lower...esp for any type of woods riding, i cant wait to see the build with a 36 and some trail pimps, are you going to go singlespeed?

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I called up transition and there willing to give me a pretty sick deal for a new frame, and the 4way shown in all the picks. I think I like the double more and more.

I'm 6'2" and right on the edge for a short or long. What size should I get. The whole reason why I'm getting it is because my scrap is an xl, and is too big. I don't want to make that mistake again. Since it is a dirtjump/urban rig, do you think the sizes tae in to account the want for a nimble/flickable bike?
Dude, you're 6'2", get the long.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
So i put the order in today, a size long, color copper with a manitou 4way air. I'm pretty sure i'm going to do a 9 speed in the rear, but i'm always open to change.

I can not wait:cheers:

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
fyck the 9 speed.. go 3-4 speed.. 5 max.. profile, hadley, and hope all make hubs that accept up to 5 speeds. or you can just space out a regular 9 speed hub.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I thought you guys were talking about the 5 spedd hubs and stuff.

Wont that (spacers) make the chain slip inbetween the cogs? If somebody could point me in the direction of like a 5 speed hub that would accept disks, that would be great. Also, It would be great if it wasn't supper exspensive.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
so the gears themselves aren't spaced out, it's more like youre using one of the old/cheap cassetes (# of gears wise).

I'd be really interested in an internal multi speed hub, that can take abuse (If they make one).

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
so the gears themselves aren't spaced out, it's more like youre using one of the old/cheap cassetes (# of gears wise).

I'd be really interested in an internal multi speed hub, that can take abuse (If they make one).

yeah, i actually put my 5 speed together with a mix of a road and mtn cassetes to get the gear range in wanted. it was something like 12-14-16-19-22

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
I ordered my double up im 6'1 and got the regular. Im coming off a .243 on it. I wanted a short travel fully forever. The double fit. I ordered it with the fox.