Quantcast

Transition Revolution: tubeless?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Anyone out there running their TBC Revolution wheels tubeless?

I'm toying with the idea of making the switch and wonding what rim strip to use. The notubes site doesn't explicitly mention the Revolutions. I'm thinking the "Freeride" rim strip ougtta fit.

If you've made the switch, are you aglow with wonder at the change it has brought to your riding experience? Or was it time that could have been better spent finishing that "Bless This Mess" needlepoint project?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Electrical tape around the eyelets, then a 20" tube as a rimstrip, splayed open along the top, with the rubber sticking out past the tire, then you cut the rubber after the tire is mounted.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Electrical tape around the eyelets, then a 20" tube as a rimstrip, splayed open along the top, with the rubber sticking out past the tire, then you cut the rubber after the tire is mounted.
Nah. New bike, not ready for ghetto. I might as well just put a basket on the front...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Not sure what the bike being new has to do with the tube setup, but hey, not my bike. ;)

Looks like you've got something in that basket...nice bike too.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
with pinned rims ghetto is the only *reliable* way to do it, any hard knocks can ever so slightly separate the rim seam and no tubeless kit can seal that.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Anyone out there running their TBC Revolution wheels tubeless?

I'm toying with the idea of making the switch and wonding what rim strip to use. The notubes site doesn't explicitly mention the Revolutions. I'm thinking the "Freeride" rim strip ougtta fit.

If you've made the switch, are you aglow with wonder at the change it has brought to your riding experience? Or was it time that could have been better spent finishing that "Bless This Mess" needlepoint project?
You have the 32's or the 36's? 32's will take the FR strip, the 36's will take the DH strip.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
You have the 32's or the 36's? 32's will take the FR strip, the 36's will take the DH strip.
I've 32s. But after watching some youtubes of ghetto rigs, it looks like it's worth giving the "cleaner" system a try. Mind you, I've already got the bottle of solution, so all I need is a valve stem and the strip.

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
I've 32s. But after watching some youtubes of ghetto rigs, it looks like it's worth giving the "cleaner" system a try. Mind you, I've already got the bottle of solution, so all I need is a valve stem and the strip.
I've had limited success running Revolution 32's tubeless in the past. They're easy enough to get setup but where I find they always fail is where the rim is pinned together (and not welded). What happens is eventually they take a hit on that spot and the seam opens up a little letting the air escape... no amount of Stans really will prevent that from leaking.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
If you use the proper rim strip<matching width to the rim> it will still hold. Either way you go will work fine, the Stans fluid pretty much glues the edge of the strip to the tire either way you do it. Only reason I would go with Ghetto style over the actuall rim strips is the price. I will say if you go ghetto, try to get tubes with a threaded valved stem, makes for much nicer sealing of the system when the valved has a stop to it.

By the way? Why the interest in tubeless? I have ran tubeless in the past, but I gave up on the PITA of setup. so much easier to stuff a tube in.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Tubeless = less rolling resistance, greater tire feel, no pinch flats.

You should know that by now. :p

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Tubeless = less rolling resistance, greater tire feel, no pinch flats.

You should know that by now. :p
I dont really agree with the less rolling resistance,in the DH side of just seems like splitting hairs to me, but the no pinchflats is nice, adn the feel.....Eh, I personally cannot feel the difference when running DH tires. Also I dont see much of a weight difference unless your running an actual tubeless setup.

But I want to know why Peach wants to.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
If you use the proper rim strip<matching width to the rim> it will still hold. Either way you go will work fine, the Stans fluid pretty much glues the edge of the strip to the tire either way you do it. Only reason I would go with Ghetto style over the actuall rim strips is the price. I will say if you go ghetto, try to get tubes with a threaded valved stem, makes for much nicer sealing of the system when the valved has a stop to it.

By the way? Why the interest in tubeless? I have ran tubeless in the past, but I gave up on the PITA of setup. so much easier to stuff a tube in.
Good question actually... One of the guys I ride with swears by it. He's also the fastest. Plus, I hear that you get the feeling of having more "cush" out of your bike. I've scrapped my rear rim already because I was running my pressure way too low. (slippy winter logrides and such...) I'm hoping to maintain a more cushy feeling while running a higher pressure.

Sorta seems like a step away from "bombproof" reliability, but I'm also curious if I notice any weight savings while I ride.

Part of me is starting to almost regret buying a big heavy(ish) DH bike. I'm trying to get a lighter feel out of my bike. Lighter wheels are $$$, and I'll likely ruin them anyway. The Shore is really hard on gear (and your body...ow) when you aren't a 5 year veteran. So going tubeless seems like a low cost way to shave some weight. Whether I'll notice it or not...well, let's say I'd better discover I have some heavy em and effin' tubes in there.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
You wont feel much of a weight difference if your running conversion's. UST wheels with UST tires. The strips combined with sealant isnt very much difference. If I was jsut racing, I would probably be running 823's with whatever My favorite UST at the time.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Not sure what rims my fast friend is running. Probably 823s. Aren't those the kickass near-DeeMaxs?

If I scrap yet another rear wheel, I'll likely just keep buying cheap and learning to tune my shock better in order to run 100 psi rear tire pressure.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Not sure what rims my fast friend is running. Probably 823s. Aren't those the kickass near-DeeMaxs?

If I scrap yet another rear wheel, I'll likely just keep buying cheap and learning to tune my shock better in order to run 100 psi rear tire pressure.
Pretty much. They really are a great choice for a DH tubeless wheel. They are easy to setup, easy to build, work with I9's with no problems, of coarse you can have any choice of hubs, build them any you want. Did I mention there strong???

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
I'm split on the tubeless debate.

Built up a set of tubless wheels (823's) recently to see what all the fuss is about. First impressions were great. Tires are Maxxis 2.5 and 2.35 UST 42a Minions and High Rollers.

On the technical side: the weight of the tube is essentially moved into the rim (823 roughly the same as 721+tube). Thus the weight of the wheel is moved closer to the center, which effectively decreases the rotational mass and makes the wheel ride lighter than it is, while having a super strong rim. A+ on the technical front.

Ride impressions: I noticed the first few rides that I had to up the pressure a bit to keep the rim off the ground. The lack of a proper sidewall/bead on the UST tires required 5-8psi more than a dual ply/xc tube. Now, the reason I dont like the UST, and will be ditching my 823's in the near future is that I have cut the carcass of every UST tire that I have used. In fact, I have cut more tires than I have pinch flatted with my old setup. I would rather pop a $5 tube, than a $70 tire. I've tried repairing the tires, some holes held, others did not. At the Fontana national, I cut my rear tire sunday morning on a hidden rock after the waterfall and had to throw a tube in it for my race run. Popped the tube on my race run right after the wallride, the lack of sidewall doesn't do much for protecting tubes.

My plan for now is to switch back to dual plys and tubes, but then I will have the issue of seating a tire on a ust rim with a tube which is a total PITA. I haven't checked the ERDs, but I hope a 721 has the same as an 823. I could be fine with the UST up front, but I need a tube in the rear. Maybe I'm not smooth enough, all I know is the UST didn't work for me.

Mar 14, 2008
There's many interweb reports that 823s and maxxis UST tires don't work well together. Mine was two runs into its life on a bike when it suffered that fate. The solution? Before switching to maxxis, my michelins worked great. And now my regular maxxis dhf tires are trouble free. Well, i do have to reinflate every few days, but that's no biggie.

ps. i ran ghetto tubeless for a while... with mixed success. i'd say if you want to try it, build up a proper ust rim for best results.

clockwork

Chimp
Jun 6, 2008
I run maxxis dual ply non ust tubeless with no issues or flats in the last year. These on 823's. Just give me a regular 2ply and some stans and I am good to go .Only ust tire I have use is michelin and they rock also.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Good question actually... One of the guys I ride with swears by it. He's also the fastest.
Are you referring to me? [blushes] I far from swear by it! Yeah, I have 823s. I have to run some pretty high pressures (up to 40 psi in the rocks) to prevent from tearing the tyre. I have to come appreciate the lack of rolling resistance that such pressures provide though. But have you ever seen me try to to change a tyre? I dare you to try and not mock me.

The thing is, having bought the 823s, whilst you can easily put a tube in, it's very diffiult to get the bead to sit straight with the tube in there, so the tyre ends up all over the place. That, combined ith my own stubborness is what keeps me running tubeless.

I'm interested to see the ghetto method though, as I've never actually seen anyone try to set it up.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Are you referring to me? [blushes] I far from swear by it! Yeah, I have 823s. I have to run some pretty high pressures (up to 40 psi in the rocks) to prevent from tearing the tyre. I have to come appreciate the lack of rolling resistance that such pressures provide though. But have you ever seen me try to to change a tyre? I dare you to try and not mock me.

The thing is, having bought the 823s, whilst you can easily put a tube in, it's very diffiult to get the bead to sit straight with the tube in there, so the tyre ends up all over the place. That, combined ith my own stubborness is what keeps me running tubeless.

I'm interested to see the ghetto method though, as I've never actually seen anyone try to set it up.
I you happen to ride a green DHR, then yes. You still gotta show me the line for that double...

As for my tubeless exploits, I just noticed that I don't have the UST Ardents. A non tubeless rim along with a non tubeless tire seems like I'm begging for trouble. Given my last two weekends of colossal crashing and prior fork woes, I don't think moving to a hack version of an iffy improvement is such a great idea for me at this juncture.

I've read that you can still make the ghetto method work without either a tubeless rim or tire, but I prefer riding to arsing around with tires.

I'm always amazed that when you do have tire issues, you magically seem to sort them out within a couple minutes on the trail... magical I tells ya.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
If anyones interested in an 823 wheelset I've seen a few of them for sale pretty cheap in the Classifieds.

The 823's are the tubeless equivelant of basically the 729 - so definately a strong rim great for DH race, and the fact that you dont hafta deal with the mess often included with ghetto tubeless system makes them that much better.

jsk14

Chimp
Jan 13, 2009
GVRD
yes it works, i have been running ghetto/stan fluid for some time now.

The fronts been perfect, but the rear loses 2-3 psi every week, but nothing dangerous or concerning at all.
Just get dual ply and you should be great.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
yes it works, i have been running ghetto/stan fluid for some time now.

The fronts been perfect, but the rear loses 2-3 psi every week, but nothing dangerous or concerning at all.
Just get dual ply and you should be great.
No UST? Just dual ply?

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
No UST? Just dual ply?
With the Stan's Strips or Ghetto method, you don't need UST tires. A dual ply tire will work just fine.

Here in AZ, you get lots of pinch flats on rocks, so I love tubeless. I'm about to convert both my Karpiel and Glory. All of my previous bikes were converted.

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
I run real tubeless now and used to use ghetto tubeless. I don't think it is worth the hassle for the advantages you may or may not get. It is significantly harder to setup than regular tubeless or tubed and any weight loss or traction advantages are minimal. Are you running DH tubes? Going to regular ones will drop a significant amount of weight and if you dont ride like a hack you wont get any more flats. The Continental tubes(in a yellow box) that you can get at MEC are by far the best and pretty light compared to a dh tube.