Quantcast

Transition with Dangerboy?

b-man

Chimp
May 25, 2002
ct
Has anyone upgraded their Dirtbag with the Dangerboy CNC plates? I'm looking at possibly purchasing a Dirtbag with the plates, but I'd like to get some feedback before I build it up online. Thanks.
-Brooks

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
honestly I wouldn't reccomend the plates to anybody, as it increases the leverage on the shock and induces stresses in the frame. If you want a longer travel bike get a bike that is designed for longer travel, not a band-aid to transform one bike into another.

The only reason I'd get different linkage plates is if I had a Iron Horse SGS with the standard linkage I may upgrade to the E13 linkage, as it doesn't increase the travel, but optomizes it.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
It has its pros and cons--you obviously get another inch of travel, but the high leverage ratio is harder on the shock (however, I've heard that Romics are pretty good on high-leverage bikes). You also have to run a higher spring rate, which I think makes the suspension. I wouldn't worry about it if you're a lighter rider, though, since your spring rate will still be about average in comparison to others. The upgrade plates do have a 6" position as well, so you're not stuck with 7" if you don't like it. Overall, I'd say go for it.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by Zaskar Rider
Does anyone know what the actual leverage ratio is with the new plates vs. the old?
The shock is 7.5x2, so:

-old plates: 2.5:1 (5") or 3:1 (6")
-new plates: 3:1 (6") or 3.5:1 (7")

butthead

Chimp
Dec 17, 2001
Las Cruces, NM
The upgrade would give you a 3.2:1 leverage ratio (the shock is 2.25x8.0), which is greater than most downhill bikes. I don't think it would be an issue if you are lighter than 200 lbs. The Dirtbag is a very beefy frame and it would take alot to break it. The linkage provides a progressive spring rate, so bottoming out the shock shouldn't be a problem either.

The only input I've heard on the Dangerboy plates is from Kevin @ Transition when I first spoke to him. He said it makes the bike too plush for his tastes. You might want to give them a call and see if they have any other input to offer.

I just bought a Dirtbag and I think it feels good at the 6" travel setting. I haven't done any downhill riding on it yet. It does well on slow technical trails and pedals great uphill. I'll be testing it out more aggressively tomorrow.

Here is how I see it. This is an upgrade being offered by Transition and not an unauthorized aftermarket upgrade. Transition's warranty and crash replacement policy will still apply. They designed the frame to hold up to the type of riding they like to do, which includes alot of trips to the Shore. I think the frame would hold up just fine even with the high leverage ratio.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
I think Transition participated in the design of the Dangerboy plates for the Dirtbag and they're an option on a new frame. This means, at the very least, they won't void the warranty on your frame, like aftermarket linkage would with, say, a Kona. I don't know how this would affect the shock's performance, longevity, etc., but I bet the Transition guys might be able to offer some insight.

butthead

Chimp
Dec 17, 2001
Las Cruces, NM
Originally posted by Tully
Actually, the shock is 7.88x2.http://progressivesuspension.com/5th-element-apps.html
I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, but the Romic shock on the Dirtbag that I bought last week is 8.0 x 2.25. At 6.2" of travel the leverage ratio is 2.75:1. Using a 2" stroke shock will only limit the travel to 5.5" and will not change the leverage ratio. Either Progressive's chart is wrong or they don't think the Dirtbag should have as much travel as it does.

Attachments

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
I seem to remember hearing something about if the suspensions travel is not linear I.E. falling or rising rate than the leverage ratio can't be used to actually calculate the amount of travel you're going to get from a given shock stroke. Again that's just what I remember reading somewhere so I'm not sure if it's correct.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by Zaskar Rider
I seem to remember hearing something about if the suspensions travel is not linear I.E. falling or rising rate than the leverage ratio can't be used to actually calculate the amount of travel you're going to get from a given shock stroke. Again that's just what I remember reading somewhere so I'm not sure if it's correct.
no suspension system is actually linear. The leverage ratio is simply an average number which is the travel/stroke. Changing the stroke and recalcuting wont deviate the numbers significantly, for our purposes at least.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by butthead
I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, but the Romic shock on the Dirtbag that I bought last week is 8.0 x 2.25.
No problem, and I'm sorry if I came off as a little defensive. If you own a Dirtbag, you would definitely know. I'm surprised that Progressive is wrong.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
Email Kyle at transition if you have any concerns...I am 99% certain they still uphold their warranty with the DB plates, considering they helped design them...Kyle is a stand up dude...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Tully
No problem, and I'm sorry if I came off as a little defensive. If you own a Dirtbag, you would definitely know. I'm surprised that Progressive is wrong.
kyle@transition has confirmed that the dirt bag uses a 2.25 stroke shock.