Quantcast

Traveling Monkies....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Hey I'm looking for an electric outlet adapter for my trip to Italy, France, and Monaco, any suggestions?

There seems to be a huge selection of options out there but I don't want one that will break while I'm gone.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
and make sure you get an actual converter/transformer if you're planning on using anything that doesn't have the voltage/power/hertz converter built in

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ive found that the cheaper ones work better then the fancy ones. though you might need to trim some of the plastic on the cheaper ones to accept various power packs.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
ive found that the cheaper ones work better then the fancy ones. though you might need to trim some of the plastic on the cheaper ones to accept various power packs.
It's hard to tell if the cheap ones have a transformer on them or not :confused:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It's hard to tell if the cheap ones have a transformer on them or not :confused:
they typically dont. the ones im referring to are just adapters to work with the funny euro plug. most power packs are rated for 110/220

this is one of the ones i used while in europe

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Funny you should say Italy, as we're going end of Sept/beg Oct for the Prosecco Cycling Classic trip we won. Went to Best Buy (about $40) and Wal-Mart (about $18). Got the Wal-Mart one (damn, I'm cheap, or just want to buy more pizza while there).

Please don't let it mess with my phone/helmet cam charging while there......

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The cheap ones that don't have a transformer in them are fine so long as whatever you're trying to charge can handle 220V. Just get a couple of those.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Funny you should say Italy, as we're going end of Sept/beg Oct for the Prosecco Cycling Classic trip we won. Went to Best Buy (about $40) and Wal-Mart (about $18). Got the Wal-Mart one (damn, I'm cheap, or just want to buy more pizza while there).

Please don't let it mess with my phone/helmet cam charging while there......
I'll be there at the same time along the Italian Rivera.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
The cheap ones that don't have a transformer in them are fine so long as whatever you're trying to charge can handle 220V. Just get a couple of those.
Ok cool, I wasnt' sure if our electronics could handle it. Will check the stuff I'm bringing.

pZyteX

Monkey
Jan 28, 2003
Amsterdam
Just bring a power strip and the cheapest adapter you can find, that way you will have multiple outlets. As far as I know all those countries have the same plug and most modern laptops are capable of working on 230v.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
In my recent experience the only thing that we have taken overseas that wasn't able to handle to handle 100V-240V was a Nintendo DS. All phones, cameras, PSPs and of course laptops were 100-240. Obviously ymmv.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
In my recent experience the only thing that we have taken overseas that wasn't able to handle to handle 100V-240V was a Nintendo DS. All phones, cameras, PSPs and of course laptops were 100-240. Obviously ymmv.
Ok cool thanks!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Actual power converters are like $13
be careful with the cheap ones. especially if your lady is using a hair dryer or straightening iron....or even something that might drawn any decent amount of power. they tend to heat up and die pretty quick, even if the power rating says it can handle a lot power