Quantcast

Traveling with Bike

banshee125

Chimp
Sep 13, 2004
I live in Michigan and am going to whistler, i am taking my bike with me and have to take it on the plane with me due to dates not workingout. Are there any suggestions on getting my bike there safe, what to use as a box to pack it in?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Good question, but this is not the forum to put it in. Try The Lounge or the DH forum.

whoopnar

Monkey
Sep 11, 2004
Chico, CA
Cover up your stanctions. And I would wrap up your bike to give it some protection. If you can, bike a real bike box, otherwise pack up everything well if you use a cardboard box. Be prepared to have your box opened. THey have to check everything. Do not put any chain lube in your boxes, it is considered flammable and will be confiscated. Again be very careful with flying. United scratched my fork stanctions and lost some shock spacers and refused to cover it.

MattP.

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=973&subcategory_ID=4415

I have that and take it on the plane w/ me. Im actually taking it to LA w/ me on Thurs. and am not worried about it. Everything fits in their nicely, there is straps to lock everything down. The airline usually charges an extra $50 eachway because it is over the size limit, but oh well. I fly Southwest, so after I check in, I bring it myslef to the TSA employees, and I tell them it is a bike. I've flown w/ it 3 times, and not once has the TSa dudes even opened it. I thikn they're afriad of opening it, then not being able to put it back, and the fact that im standing right there :) And they have even let me put locks on it :) And it can take a beating, which is a plus :)