Quantcast

Travis question

Dida

Chimp
Jul 8, 2005
Zagreb - lUdArA
Hi guys!
I`m looking for a new fork, and I like the new Travis. I`ve heard that it is really sexy (looks and performance :) ).
Now, I have two questions: :help:
1.) Does anybody know the exact height of the Travis SC and DC.

2.) I like SC forks because of their lightness and turning radius. I`m not a high speed DH rider. Where I come from, we don`t have such tracks. We`re more into twisty technical riding. So, do you think that my bike would be more maneuverable with a lighter SC fork, or with a bit heavyer but stiffer DC fork?

Oh, and did you heard of some maintenance problems regarding the Travis? Cuz I`m tired of servicing my Sherman, and don`t won`t the same problem with the new fork.

I know it`s a new fork and that you don`t have much info about it but it`s worth a try!

Thanks!

Feb 3, 2005
Whistler
The travis is definetly a nice feeling fork, i used one for 2 days, and honestly it felt like my dorado (i was testing the 8 inch single crown so it was a different hight feeling) but dampening was very similar, i would pikc one up forsure

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
Hi, I'm Travis. What do you want to know?

Sorry, had to do that. I have only ridden one in the parking lot so no good experience there. Winstanleysbikes has the specs posted but unfortunately no axle to crown measurements. From what I understand, the 200mm SC will only come in a 1.5" steerer which makes sense but may limit your choice. The 200mm Triple Ti Intrinsic weighs in at a claimed 6.9 lbs so it is reasonably light but the SC is a pound lighter.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Threepointtwo said:
Hi, I'm Travis. What do you want to know?

Sorry, had to do that. I have only ridden one in the parking lot so no good experience there. Winstanleysbikes has the specs posted but unfortunately no axle to crown measurements. From what I understand, the 200mm SC will only come in a 1.5" steerer which makes sense but may limit your choice. The 200mm Triple Ti Intrinsic weighs in at a claimed 6.9 lbs so it is reasonably light but the SC is a pound lighter.
a lb. lighter?? i thought it was mebbe 0.5 lb lighter.

i have a few coil marzocchis in the garage, and a 3 year old sherman breakout. the sherman has been very low maintenance and reliable. i've had some seal issues with 2 of the marzocchis.

my point is not that marz are unreliable crap...they have a good rep as we all know. just saying that the manipoo tpc+ with evil genius seals ended up being super reliable for me. one of those rare 'first year' examples that actually worked well.

all actual riding reports on the travis have been very positive, from what i've read and heard anyway. and essentially all of the reviewers have had direct experience with the 66 and/or 888, but still preferred the travis. 'course until the fork is really out there for a while, we won't know if there are first-year issues.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the single crown is a little over a ponud lighter. but remember that the dc has an integrated stem that more than negates the weight differance. i has trying to decide inbetween them myself.

Dida

Chimp
Jul 8, 2005
Zagreb - lUdArA
Threepointtwo said:
the 200mm SC will only come in a 1.5" steerer which makes sense but may limit your choice.
That`s OK for me cuz I have a 1,5 inch steertube.

And how much higher would a SC Travis put my handlebar than the DC one?
With the DC, I get flat crowns and an integrated stem which also lowers the handlebar. Right?

Sorry if I wrote something wrong. English is not my mother language.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
well lets just say that if you could put pure sex into a fork it would be a travis. if pedals better than my slider+ with tons of redbox mods, feels wayy wayy plusher and smoother my dorado did and i only took it apart once this season (2 times total, many had to take a peak inside of it once). this fork is going to be knock out in the dc fork world

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
dexter said:
well lets just say that if you could put pure sex into a fork it would be a travis. if pedals better than my slider+ with tons of redbox mods, feels wayy wayy plusher and smoother my dorado did and i only took it apart once this season (2 times total, many had to take a peak inside of it once). this fork is going to be knock out in the dc fork world

got any non-manitou or current-fork comparison?

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
well gthe only other fork i have ridden lately would be a piece of a shiver and a 88 set up for hucking. i liked the 888 but i even set up all hucktastic it felt like it blew through its travel (7inch mode set up for someone 50lbs lighter than me thats probably why).

dante no problem man