• travis's was very nice!

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • they both sucked

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
What did I tell you little scamps about the weekly video journal? They aren't the worst things I've ever seen, but you guys need to practice your filming and do a lot better in the editing and pacing departments. I mean, shoot, in both videos you even caught the other guy filming the same thing - that's a major no no.

Not saying that you can't capture enough footage for a great short film in one day, but look at Lucent's Diabloween video from last year. The shots were interesting, it was edited in a cohesive way, the music synced with the film in a lot of places, and it never left you staring at a Diablo sign for ten seconds straight.

All I am saying is, I know you guys are young and anxious, but make a bunch of practice videos, and don't start showcasing them until you are actually proud of them.

It'll make the whole thing worth the effort, trust me.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I love this idea of two young guys asking for opinions. For me, I say make movies and get them out, but if they are not refined, keep them under 2 minutes (or less) just like you did.

Now that you make movies go back and watch movies in a different light- look at the collective, NWD, DH-productions and such to see what they are using. For example, many let the riders ride into frame and ride out. Some shots are zoomed in at the last minute. Some shots are taken of the same stunt in videos, but one is half the distance of the first shot and at a different angle. The biggest thing that you NEED to do, please, is use a freakin' tripod or handmade-steady cam- TRUST ME.

Also, Vimeo can do 1280x720p High def, so for your next birthday, hanaka or christmas ask for a high def camera.

Sorry, I'm not one to pick a winner-yet. Lets see more stuff.

I can't believe the only cameo the Diablo boys did for you guys was a lift shot! YOu need to stalk them and ask to get some shots of their moves:)

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
well i just got my camera haha... and i just dont upload them in high quality.. it is way more clear.. but like you said not hd

i didnt think my video was that shakey compared to my other ones... i did make a steady cam and i feel it helped alot

Last edited:

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
well i just got my camera haha... and i just dont upload them in high quality.. it is way more clear.. but like you said not hd

i didnt think my video was that shakey compared to my other ones... i did make a steady cam and i feel it helped alot
If your camera is HD, render your video in a 1280x720p 30frames/sec WMV and then upload that.

Dude, it's shaky. Anyone on this forum can correct me if I'm wrong w/out any hard feelings. Don't worry, it's the weakest part of my filming too. What do you do, move quick to get the shot, get this shot over here but that one over there is also going on, keep the rider in the frame or cut off something. mastering those things are what start to make film art. The pressure of limited time to film also rushes work.

You have to look at your stuff objectively, which can be painful. I look at some stuff I made and see all the shaky, poor framed shots. But it's the only to get better.

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
I enjoyed both videos and I think it's great that you guys are filming and posting.
Don't let anyone discourage you. Keep up the good work.

Kat

May 9, 2006
NYC
Keep it up guys and listen to the points above. All good advice.
It really is all about framing and getting interesting views.
Based on that I would give it to joey.
Your framing seems to be instinctively better.

Keep making them and keep having fun.
Tripods are a must! espiciallly when you pan the camera to much as it causes wobble and you invariably have problems with your sight lines. Think of a good position to capture as much as you can without to much movement then edit it together at the end.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
no i have decided to get a hope steering damper on my tripod so it doesn't shake like a 5.0 on the ricter scale
just adjust the tripod so you can move it smooth and slow. also, are you shooting wide?? I use a .5 or .42 wide angle- but NEVER FISHEYE- just a personal phobia.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
My contructive criticism on the first one:
If you're going to use a tripod (the second vid showed the first guy shooting on a tripod) then make sure its not a $20 Kmart special tripod. They have absolute junk heads which make smooth panning near impossible.

There are a few techniques to shooting smoother hand held footage which involves different hand and body position....which IMO would be better than the jerky tripod footage.

May 23, 2007
Stamford, CT
hey travis,

i have this camera mount thing that lets you hold the camera like a flash light. it even has a bmx grip on it. Let me know if you want it. It's just sitting at home doing nothing. I like my helmet cam now.

Ill be doing the fishing pole idea this weekend lol.