Quantcast

Treadmill....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Educate me...

My wife does a lot of running and walking and the road we live on isn't conducive to either of these activities and neither is the NY winter.

I would love to get her a treadmill as a gift for the upcoming holiday season.

I have no idea what I'm looking for, any help? Anything important to look for?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Don't go cheap, seriously.

Not sure what stores you have in the area, but around here there are Play It Again Sports. It's a second hand/backstock sporting goods store that has great prices. They often have last years models, or one that someone bought elsewhere, used for like 10 miles, then put it on consignment for the cheap.

Go to a store, run on a bunch, find one you like, then look at buy.com/overstock/used/maybe even ebay. But there is a huge difference in treadmills and most of the cheap ones suck ass, but the good ones cost more than my truck.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Gym membership

They good ones are big money and the cheap ones suck. This goes for just about any equipment. Plus, she'll get bored and it will sit in your basement until you unload it at a garage sale in 5 yrs for 10% of what you paid.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Don't go cheap, seriously.

Not sure what stores you have in the area, but around here there are Play It Again Sports. It's a second hand/backstock sporting goods store that has great prices. They often have last years models, or one that someone bought elsewhere, used for like 10 miles, then put it on consignment for the cheap.

Go to a store, run on a bunch, find one you like, then look at buy.com/overstock/used/maybe even ebay. But there is a huge difference in treadmills and most of the cheap ones suck ass, but the good ones cost more than my truck.
Ok cool thanks!

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Gym membership or let her ride your new bike on your new trainer. Get her her own womens saddle and seatpost to swap between.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Gym membership

They good ones are big money and the cheap ones suck. This goes for just about any equipment. Plus, she'll get bored and it will sit in your basement until you unload it at a garage sale in 5 yrs for 10% of what you paid.
Agreed. You'll get more bang for your buck. Some gyms also allow members to bring "guests" a certain # of times per month, which can translate to you going as well.

If you are dead set on buying your own equipment, get an elliptical. They are lower impact and they also incorporate an option for working upper body.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I don't know a lot about treadmills other than the fact that I use them. I like the gym membership idea though. If she wants to mix things up, she can hop on a stationary bike or an elliptical or that son of a bitch stair machine.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Gym membership

We live in the country and have 2 small kids, the only free time we have is an hour here or there. Most of the gyms around here are like 30min away. We did at one time have a YMCA membership and we loved it there but it was out of the way and difficult to get to regularly especially now with little kids.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We live in the country and have 2 small kids, the only free time we have is an hour here or there. Most of the gyms around here are like 30min away. We did at one time have a YMCA membership and we loved it there but it was out of the way and difficult to get to regularly especially now with little kids.
kids need exercise too

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Get one that has extending handles.

They come in super handy for holding clothes off the floor after the novelty wears off.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
My wife uses the "women's only" exercise room at her gym. It has a row of treadmills that are anti-ass staring friendly.
If they didn't want guys staring at their asses, they wouldn't work out in the first two rows. :think:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
You can definitely get your moneys worth out of an expensive treadmill. My father bought a 3k treadmill 15 years ago and it's survived 3 moves and 2 new belts. He still runs on it multiple times a week. For space and eye candy reasons, I've opted for the gym membership:thumb:

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
well Stosh, if you got a Dicks Sporting Goods near you they have a decent selection. i work at one near me and they carry 3 brands.. Sole, Livestrong (made by Sole) and one other that escapes me. the sole's are a good machine. not too crazy expensive, top model is under $2k. the differences in the models are motor HP, weight capacity, degree of incline for the deck, program modes. also, as you go up in price the warranty coverage gets better too. the Livestrongs are coming out with new models so you may be able to pick up a floor model real cheap. i know in my store were selling the top model for 40% off. also try them out. i've found that even tho the livestrong is made by sole, the decks are a bit different as well as the layout of the control board. it's small, but some people do make a point of that when trying them out.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Our YMCA offers babysitting for 2 hours at a time which is GREAT!!! Syd loves to go and play with the other kids while Mommy & Daddy get to work out. I have a very small with limited offerings YMCA on my way home so I stop in and get 45-60 minutes in before I get Sydney or have Earl pick her up and we all get home at roughly the same time.