Quantcast

Trek 2009 pic

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Found this via google image search, I can't find anything else except what I can deduce from looking at it.

Session 8?

Looks like trek finally put together a solid parts spec.

Looks like x0 rear, fox dhx, fox 40, I'm not sure what chainguide that is, possibly a trek brand roller setup with e13 bashring?

Also, it looks like they're using the split pivot rear axle via the 08 fuels, as well as the floating shock pivot. This bike will feel phenomenal.

Anyone know anything concrete?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
"its a gravity bike made by trek"

Oh...if it's made by Trek, it's DEFINATELY gonna be affected by gravity! Fuggin Session 7s or whatever inthehelltheyarethatthebikeshopsaretryingtodumpfor$800now weigh EASILY over 40-45 pounds! That's supposed to be their trail bike? And the Session 10s look like recycled tanks. Cool looking, but looking heavy....

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Careful now boys... TREK RIDER or whatever he calls himself is gonna jump on here all pissed off, swinging at his computer screeen again like last time someone(me) accused his Session 10ton being heavy!

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Careful now boys... TREK RIDER or whatever he calls himself is gonna jump on here all pissed off, swinging at his computer screeen again like last time someone(me) accused his Session 10ton being heavy!
My session 7 weighs 43lbs. Not much heavier than most other dh rigs nowadays. The article in decline (after I read it :busted:) says the session 8 will be right around 40lbs.

So yeah...

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
"its a gravity bike made by trek"

Oh...if it's made by Trek, it's DEFINATELY gonna be affected by gravity! Fuggin Session 7s or whatever inthehelltheyarethatthebikeshopsaretryingtodumpfor$800now weigh EASILY over 40-45 pounds! That's supposed to be their trail bike? And the Session 10s look like recycled tanks. Cool looking, but looking heavy....
Remedy is the trail bike and is quite manageable. The Session is their freeride bike and is quite overbuilt.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Remedy is the trail bike and is quite manageable. The Session is their freeride bike and is quite overbuilt.
See...now I guess I look at that all COMPLETELY different...
XC is just XC, not trailriding. Trail riding is jumps, berms, drops, climbs, descents, steeps, and just everything mtn bike related. Everything. And then DH is racing.
That's just how I see it all. In my mind, a TRAIL bike should be about 35-45lbs and handle EVERYTHING you'd expect a bike to handle. A DH bike, well I think they should actually be LIGHTER than a trailbike since it's a competitive tool, and an XC bike should be in the sub-30 pound range and basically seen on flat singletrack with no surprises. Chalk that up as a training tool.

I despise the term "freeride." It's too damn generic now. Everything is free this, extreme that, blah, blah, blah. FREERIDE: Extreme mountain biking in a NON-COMPETITIVE environment. Well, THAT went right out the window with the first freeride comp!!

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I know what you mean. The remedy is not their XC bike though. That is the fuel. The remedy is 6" travel and in the mid 30's (on a large size) as far as weight goes. It climbs and pedals well, jumps well, and seems to soak up much more than it should on downhills. My buddy will be racing DH on it in the midwest (so not really intense) but the bike really can do it all.

I was never a big fan of the session line. To me that is still a bike that gets shuttled to the top and you hit shore style stunts or something. It's heavy, it has 7" of travel, I would never own one.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Yeah, the 7 was always completely pointless. The Remedy would qualify for a trailbike, and the Session 10(IMO) is also completely useless. For Trek I'd think the Fuel, the Remedy, the Session 8 would be a decent lineup.
Surprisingly enough, I actually kinda like the Session 8. Kinda reminds me of a Lapeirre(sp?).
Specialized did/does the same think, only now I don't really think they even have a DH bike, just crap. The pre-07 Demos were sick. I had one and LOVED it. But yeah, it was still an over-engineered bicycle. And having a Demo 8 and a Demo 9 was tarded. BUT..they have like 40 different versions of every single bike they make, so whatever I guess!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
reminds me of the the kona stabdeelux they've been building for 7-8 or so years now.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I have a session 77, and love it. It weighs 41 pounds and is almost completely stock, and it rides awesome. Rides like a short-travel bike, but has the extra travel for bigger stuff.
I've ridden whistler on a demo 8, an sx trail, and the session. I have had more fun on the Trek than either of the specs. Aside from the Trek haters, it gets great reviews too. http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Freeride_Full_Suspension/product_124744.shtml
Add the fact that you can pick them up for around a grand to the fact that they ride great, and there's a lot to like about 'em.

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
Did you hear Pacific bought GT?
Thats no big deal, word on the street is John Tomac is going to start making his own brand of bikes...

We should see them any time soon.
:bonk:

On aserious note, I've preety much stopped paying attention to big bike manufacturer offers a few years ago, besides giving their new catolog for that year a thumb through.

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
I would say my favorite internet game is to try and guess bike weight via a picture, which is closely followed by guessing geometry from the same pic.

But in all seriousness I'm pretty excited to see they applied the Floater suspension to a DH rig. I think it'll be a pretty good fit.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
But in all seriousness I'm pretty excited to see they applied the Floater suspension to a DH rig. I think it'll be a pretty good fit.
A floating shock mount is nothing new for DH bikes or otherwise. The only thing it provides is potentially superior aesthetics (though other aspects of this proto are ugly so its a wash)

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
A floating shock mount is nothing new for DH bikes or otherwise. The only thing it provides is potentially superior aesthetics (though other aspects of this proto are ugly so its a wash)
I think by "floater" he was referring the whole suspension design. The "R1" suspension should work really well for a DH bike. Of course we will need to see.

AS far as aesthetics... Remember that that is still the prototype version. I have heard that they are looking to do a redesign on that nasty angle at the seat tube above the bottom bracket. I think with a little refining it could be one slick looking bike. I personally hate that color too.... :twitch:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I think by "floater" he was referring the whole suspension design. The "R1" suspension should work really well for a DH bike. Of course we will need to see.
The new Trek design is a nice package, but the fact remains the bike isn't innovative. There is nothing special about the suspension design. Its a 4-bar with the ABP/split-pivot to get around the FSR patent. Its not going to bring anything new to DH bikes.

It will be interesting to see how stiffness and pivot durability compares vs. FSR.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Does every bike has to make a revolution? Sometimes a normal bike with proven ideas and good geo will be better than new super hype think that brakes like matches and is trying to reinvent everything (just look at manipoo they are so innovative and for some reason 90% of ppl say they are crap)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Does every bike has to make a revolution? Sometimes a normal bike with proven ideas and good geo will be better than new super hype think that brakes like matches and is trying to reinvent everything (just look at manipoo they are so innovative and for some reason 90% of ppl say they are crap)
I said its a nice package - I've had a Remedy 8 on pre-order since October:busted:

But the same marketing bullshlt played again and again gets old. When was the last time something revolutionary came out in suspension design:monkey:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Depends on what you mean by revolution. For some ppl it's the newer virtuals like DW, Maestro or FPS2 (which actually fells much better than vpp).

I also think that there is not so much to be done in the area of susp design.

I don't really feel a great need for better susp design. Rather I'd just like that existing ones would be improved (lower lev ratios, better progression in some cases) and that new bike have a better geo (ie. enduro ppl are crazy about pedal efficiency but I still ride my quite old Ellsworth Joker XC (old sp) and It kills every new bike I've tried just because the geo is absolutely perfect and the bike handles like a dream - it would be the same for me in dh).
It's just hard to market. "We've droped our avg lev. ratio by 0.2 and the cs is shorter by 0.1inch so the bike handles like a dream" Revolutionary susp adv works better but who cares about marketing BS?