Quantcast

Trek 69'r demo ride

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
the regional trek rep held a demo day today at New Quarter Park in Williamsburg Va and they had a 69r there. it was set up with the Maverick Inverted DC Fork and a 2:1 ratio. I only did one lap on it but it was pure heaven. I have never in my life ridden a bike that corners like that thing does...it is just S T O O O P I D fast through the corners. The fork is ridiculously stiff and goes precisely where you point it. The only mildly negative thing I have to say about it is the bb is just a touch low and I buzzed my pedals a few time. Also the stock grips were THE SUCK, as well as the saddle, but obviously though are minor and typically personally preference anyways. I am a sit down rider that only stands when absolutely necessary so I typically set up my hardtails with a USE suspension seatpost, so that would also be a personal preference set up I'd make. The bike was set up with adjustable sliding dropouts and the fork is airsprung. It also had avid juicys which had a great feel and modulation to them. If I didn't already have a full quiver of bikes I'd be placing an advanced order with the shop I go to but I just can't justify another bike right now.
I definately give it two thumbs WAY UP!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:
Pics to follow.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
I wouldn't settle for the 69'er until you have ridden a comparable 29er. It's likely you are just getting a taste of the big wheels, why stop with one when two is heaven? :D

Feb 18, 2007
Did the EVMA know about the event? I'm in the market for a new bike. It sure would have been helpful in the decision making process.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I too have ridden that 69er. Way, way, way stiff frame! You would definitely need a USE shock post or something of that nature if you are a sit down rider. That bike is mercilessly stiff in the rear end especially.

I thought the Mav fork reminded me a lot of a Lefty. Point and destroy! However, the guys that have riden this on off camber stuff say that is where the fork fails and fails miserably. Too much independant twist in the legs.

I also thought the rear end was too easy to loft and maybe due to the overly stiff nature of the rear triangle, it was also hard to keep that back tire hooked up in rough corners and especially on DH's. I nose wheelied down the Braille Trail at Nisene Marks a few times! Scary!

Nice custom, "signature" bike. (It's basically a dead ringer for Travis Brown's race rig), but pretty spendy for a single speed. And I'm not sold on the 69er concept either, especially not from this experience.

29 front/ 27five rear is where it's going to be at. Mark my words. The 69er concept is going the way of the dodo bird once that new wheel format hits.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'd say the better application for 69ers is in the dual suspension category because it would allow a rider to have the short rear chainstays they desire, yet still with FS and a 29er wheel to roll over stuff better in front.

Just my two cents.

seabass

Chimp
Aug 30, 2002
knoxville, tn
I'd say the better application for 69ers is in the dual suspension category because it would allow a rider to have the short rear chainstays they desire, yet still with FS and a 29er wheel to roll over stuff better in front.

Just my two cents.
You're right.

L

luelling

I have a friend running the 69er setup and he really likes it. He uses a rigid Ti fork, and a Ti spoked front wheel....he says it feels like suspension. He has won a bunch of pro races on it, so maybe its fast? :)

L

luelling

I don't have any, I'll see if I can track some down. Its a scott scale, and he runs it as a single speed sometimes.

L

luelling

I could never find some damn pics. His name is Evan Plews.

<edit> I emailed him, so hopefully I get a pic or he posts here

L

luelling

Got a pic for everyone. It is really a sweet setup. I'm considering this setup (with gears) for racing XC

Attachments

L

luelling

Looks very light. Who makes the Ti fork he's using?
I think its a one off. I remeber him saying something about it having a weight limit as well. He has ended up with some small obscure sponsors