Quantcast

Trek Fuel 100 vs. Klein Adept Pro

JohnEZ

Chimp
Oct 10, 2001
Houston, Texas
Fuel 100 or Klein Adept Pro? I have broken 3 Fuel 100s in a year. One 2001, and now two 2002's. Trek owns Klein, and will give me either frameset.

Very few reviews on MTBReview.com on the Adept. I have loved the Fuel's ride, but this last frame break happened on a high speed descent, and could have been muy ugly.

These are my only two choices... Fuel 100 or Klein Adept Pro. Both are made of Gary Klein's new superlight ZR9000 alum alloy; both have the carbon rear triangle; only the Fuel has the carbon rocker arm...

Comments?

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Question is, if your breaking Fuel's will the Adept last any longer? Where have you broken the Fuel's (they do have weakness/design issues), and how big are you. The Adept is more of a race oriented bike than the Fuel IMO, and lighter and probably just as easy if not easier to break.

JohnEZ

Chimp
Oct 10, 2001
Houston, Texas
Thanks for the reply - here's the long version:

I am a Clydesdale - 6'00" and 215 lbs. I race beginner master men, 35-39. I am currently 4th in the Texas spring championship series standings. I know I would be doing better, and breaking fewer frames, at 180. But, fact is, I am 215 today. Trek says that I am not too heavy (I question that). I guess they decided to let Gary Klein's new ZR9000 aluminum (used in both the high end Fuels and Adepts) be R&D'd by their customers.

I broke the first Fuel, a 2001 Fuel 100, at the top weld on the seat tube where the rocker arm assembly is mounted to the back of the seat tube. Per trek, a definite manufacturing flaw (bad weld).

The 2nd was a 2002 Fuel 100 - it broke where the top tube meets the seat tube, again at the weld. Trek attributed this to a design flaw that had been detected by Racer Roland Green's breaking them at that same exact spot - the 2nd half of the 2002 production run had a seat tube modified to delete the top flanged/collared section of the seta tube for a continuous piece instead.

The third broken frame was one of the new modified 2002 Fuel 100. It just happened at Flat Creek last week (3 days before the Bar H race, unfortunately). It also broke at that same weld on the top tube, and additionally crumpled the seat tube this time. Quite impressive. This was my first frame break at high speed - very scary indeed.

Since I get one or the other (Fuel or Adept) , maybe I should try the Adept this time. Same warranty, and this way I get a new rear triangle too. I just wanted input on how they ride relative to one another.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Your a little on the heavy side but I think its probably just the combo of the bad design and weight. You may have better luck with the Adept as I have not seen any failures myself. It probably won't feel as stiff to you as the Fuel but, IMO I think it makes a much better race bike. I have a Fuel 98 that I take out every once in a while, I love the way it rides, but for racing I would take the Adept hands down.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by ssaddict
Your a little on the heavy side but I think its probably just the combo of the bad design and weight. You may have better luck with the Adept as I have not seen any failures myself. It probably won't feel as stiff to you as the Fuel but, IMO I think it makes a much better race bike. I have a Fuel 98 that I take out every once in a while, I love the way it rides, but for racing I would take the Adept hands down.
I've ridden all three frames, the Trek Fuel, Fisher Sugar, and Klein Adept. The Adept feels the stiffest, the Fuel has the lowest center of gravity do to the shock placement, and the Fisher Sugar is bullet proof ( I've taken it on many 10-12 foot drops and blown 3 forks and 2 rear shocks...frame is still together). I hear the Klein is also a bit tougher of a frame than the Trek.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
How about a Jamis Dakar? Jenson USA is blowing them out right now...the sport version has a cromo rear triangle...same design as the Klien/Sugar. Metal has one and I've seen him do CRAZY sheyat to it...Lifetime warranty...the Sport I think is selling for under 300. Granted he's broken his twice...unless you do 10 drops on a xc frame...then I doubt that you'd break it.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Hey Trek Slayer, I have the exact same Jamis Dog is talking about. If you want to we can hook up and I’ll let you try it out. There's only one problem, I've got a 100mm fork on it and it's speced for a 80mm so the front get's floppy if your not used to it. I'm free after 8 tonight.
Call or drop me an email.
There's also a third option. Get the frame you think you'll have the best luck selling. Sell it then buy a beefier frame. The FSR's seem to be a little beefier due to design I’m sure there plenty of others too.