Quantcast

Trek Fuel 70..

jsmith811

Chimp
Aug 12, 2007
I finally purchased a 1st mnt. bike, 05 Trek Fuel 70. This bike doesn't have Disc brakes, but it was a good price and so far I like the bike. Any suggestions or things to watch out for on this model? I assume it would be expensive to add discs, and I would also like to raise the bars slightly, maybe different stem do accomplish that??

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
ya man it's an XC ride. Use it well. You might get the bushings done as it's used and maybe send the rear shock in for a sweetening.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
To answer your questions...yes, to raise the bars, get a new stem. Check the rear end for play. If you find any replace the bushings at the sloppy pivot. No need to replace all of them, some bushings in the Fuels wear faster than others. Leave the shock alone unless it's blown. Also, watch for cracks in the seattube and chainstays...those are places common for aluminum Fuels to break.

jsmith811

Chimp
Aug 12, 2007
Not planning on free riding the trek, just xc. I am planning on test riding a "real" DH bike though, as I'm already wanting to upgrade the trek 70 to the point that it's not worth it... I'm currently looking at the specialized FSR's.. they seem like a good do it all bike, and the Transition...

TheLoneRider

Chimp
Aug 24, 2007
Ellicott City, MD
Not planning on free riding the trek, just xc. I am planning on test riding a "real" DH bike though, as I'm already wanting to upgrade the trek 70 to the point that it's not worth it... I'm currently looking at the specialized FSR's.. they seem like a good do it all bike, and the Transition...
OK well everyone assumed that you were going to freeride that bike since you posted in the freerider section of the forum. Not only is the bike not worth upgrading to a true freeride or dh bike but the frame and suspension is not built for it. You would very quickly crack the rear triangle or one of the pivots on the seat tube.