Quantcast

trek mogul front fork

boolean

Chimp
Aug 9, 2004
i recently rescued my brother's trek 8000 in order to revive it. i need to replace the brakes (cantilever, some parts are cracked) and it should be good to go. this is my first bike using a suspension (only front) and i had some questions about the springiness of it. it seems the slightest pressure causes it to go down, getting on the bike, and especially braking causes the front of the bike to dive a lot. how do i go about making it stiffer? some searching lead me to believe that it is an air/oil mixture. should i replace the mixture completely? (this bike pretty old and has been sitting in a shed for some time)

thanks.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
New fork time, duder. You can get a decent used fork for around $100 that will be light years ahead of the fork you've got on there. To give you an idea about what I mean, Trek stopped making suspension forks in about 1992. A lot has changed in 12 years.

boolean

Chimp
Aug 9, 2004
wow, i didn't think it was that old.. hah. well, time to go shopping around. any suggestions? i do pretty light riding riding most of the time with occasional forays into trails.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Anything from the turn of the century on from a decent company will treat you well. I'd recommend a Marzocchi air fork for you if you don't mind spending a little bit of loot, but check out the used pages here first. Some really good deals floating around, and you get to help another monkey out.