Quantcast

Trek Session 10

mfzbike

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Precious painville
Anyone ahve any experience with with this bike as a Dh bike??
Trek seems to market it as a more freeride oriented set up??
I've tried searching but can't seem to find any good posts...... The reason id lke to know is, the shop i work at only carries trek, haro, and c'dale....
i;m considering the judge as well....so i'd fon't really have much of a choice other than those two.
this will be DH only and race bike.
any thoughts of the trek would be much appreciated.
thanks
mark

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
rides great at whistler,and pedals great, but it a little heavy not a race bike, but one hell of an amazing DH trail bike, and if your good enough you could pull it off. at whistler (shandro camp a whistler had quite a few so yeah)

If your looking for a DH race bike go with the c'dale judge, but this would be my second choice, i liked the bike a lot, it built clean, speced nicely, and pedals like i said before really well.

another thing to note, im not sure but the geo was a litle off of your normal dh race bike steeper head angle high bb, at least this is my impression when i rode it in whistler

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
Imm sure one could, the thing is, it strange the thing just felt kinda big, im not sure how to describe it.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
its an amazing bike and i guess the best words is that it rides like a tank, and will keep its lines. don't let others here tell you otherwise, 'cause i think it looks cool. Again this was not a ligit test IMO, but this is what i gathered from what i did do with the bike

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
Hope this helps, but maybe if you give us more info like what kinda of riding you usually do, something that would describe your style, we (me and others on here) might be able to give you more of a hand in your choice. If you are a big racer, i would look at the judge.

Also note that when i tried the session 10 it was stock with travis ect, this built could have altered my decision as well.

But the Revox is one nice shock

Mountain_Dewd

Monkey
May 30, 2005
whis
its a really terrific frame, amazing accelration, dialed geometry with 3 settings. Somehow feels like a 8in travel bike untell you hit the real gnarl or take a huge hit.

Imho the only down side is the weight, i think its around 14 lbs, and the graphics are kinda weak imho. also having the 3.5 in shock does limit you to only running the revox, but i like the revox.

ohh and i dont like the completes build kit..

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
it just a large travel bike and bikes like those seem to have the same kinda ride to them like sc v10, foes bikes, even a little the m3, you understand what im saying now, however i did see people jump them pretty easily so.....?

jake133

Monkey
Jan 21, 2005
SLC, Utah
Go for the Session at less you're a serious racer, the Session is raceable just not as light as others. It works for Nico Vink.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Frame does indeed come in at 14lbs. Revox shock is overdamped and not that great but Im sure it can be tuned as it uses a shim stack.
Geom is great pedals pretty good. Mud gathering around the linkage annoys me but its not too big a deal.
Trek have a kick ass warranty dept.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Frame does indeed come in at 14lbs. Revox shock is overdamped and not that great but Im sure it can be tuned as it uses a shim stack.
Geom is great pedals pretty good. Mud gathering around the linkage annoys me but its not too big a deal.
Trek have a kick ass warranty dept.

any issues yet with the session?

what spring are you running on the revox?

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
any issues yet with the session?

what spring are you running on the revox?

No real issues. The BB shell did not have a hole drilled for a cable guide so it filled with water. Trek said it was cool to drill a 4mm hole in it. the newer frames have this already drilled.
Other than that the "proprietry shock" is a pain as Manitou suck at getting parts available.

Quoted from manitou weby "One ride on the Revox and all North Shore tester Andrew Shandro could say was, “unbelievable.” "
Funny because all I could think was "hmm this shock feels way overdamped I wonder if Flooksy can make it feel good"

I am running a 300lb spring which feels good but have a spare 350lb which I think I might have to run once the crappy manitou damping gets fixed by TF Tuned.

It feels really stable. I came from a Sunday and it does not have the same razzle dazzle as a sunday but its still really good. The geometry is actually pretty similar.
I would really rate the bike and recomend anyone to buy who is thinking. Speaking in terms of the UK market Trek have got the best warranty service I know of.

Word on the street is that Trek are going to have a couple of big name DH riders on them next season.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I also did 2 weeks solid in Morzine and never had to maintain anything on the bike which is sweet.
The Custom E-13 works sweet also.

mfzbike

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Precious painville
It feels really stable. I came from a Sunday and it does not have the same razzle dazzle as a sunday but its still really good. The geometry is actually pretty similar. [/QUOTE said:
I'm coming from a sunday as well...
what do you mean by the same razzle dazzle??

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
The Sunday was......lighter, pedaled better, had better braking, slacker head angle and I think felt perfect for racing.

I dont race anymore and didnt need a sunday. I feel that the Sunday is like a Mclarren F1 or Bugatti Veron. Simply THE best DH racing bike I ever rode but if your not racing it just felt too racey.

After reading what I typed this is about as clear as mud but I think you might get the picture.

steelewheels

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
Im in the same situation, work at a trek dealer, lookin at the session 10. What about getting a session 77 and putting a dual crown and threw axel kit, hell even get the floating brake!

Hairyballs

Chimp
Mar 9, 2005
Sweden
Ive owned one for a month and i think it is a very good bike/frame if your not into real racing coz it does eat all the bumps, it fixes all your misses and pedal well. The downside are that it feels big, heavy and is very nervous in the air and the head angle could be a bit slacker for my opinion.
If you would like something between session 10 and the Judge i would recommend Giant Glory, mine is soo sweet, its the perfect bike for me.

Attachments

Hairyballs

Chimp
Mar 9, 2005
Sweden
Well, i rode it for 14 days in row and i couldnt tame it, my demo9 and Glory took about 1 week to get it i my command.
But perhaps im a bit to "racie" for a session 10.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
This thread is very helpful as I also have a Trek hookup (former shop employee who still keeps in touch with the rep) and am thinking about a Session 10 (because its all I can aford!). I spent a weekend on a proto Judge (when it was still the Gracia but otherwise finished) at Plattekill last November and can say that it is made for speed. I was going to say 100% race bike, but that doesn't do it justice. If you ride it slow, it will eat you alive. If you ride it fast, it will reward you. The one I rode had an 888 on it. The 888 + the linkage on the rear shock made the bike feel bottomless. Its HA is on the slack side which makes it a hand full at slower speeds, but like I said it is meant to be ridden fast. If you ski, its like jumping on a pair of race skis. You'll hate them at lower speeds, but be happier than a pig in s4!+ at Mach 10.