Quantcast

tri-athlete dies, police neglect

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Loveland's Jabaily dies from injuries suffered in crash
House candidate struck by car during triathlon

Loveland neurologist and House District 51 candidate Joe Jabaily died Monday morning, succumbing to injuries he suffered a day earlier when he was struck by a car while participating in a triathlon.

Jabaily was struck on his bicycle Sunday morning when a Loveland police officer who was directing traffic allowed a car to pass through an intersection. The officer mistakenly believed the car would pass the intersection before Jabaily.

The driver of the vehicle, Loveland resident Mildred McCloy, 55, was not injured in the crash.

Jabaily had lived in Loveland since 1983. He was active in the community, serving eight years with the Thompson School District Board of Education, and working on open space and other issues.

Jabaily also had an interest in state government. He made an unsuccessful bid for House District 51 in 2002, and was making another run at the seat in the November general election.
I read this in print, found it online.

A very say story that makes me angry.

Why isn't there a mention about criminal charges being files against the cop. In essence, the cop killed the guy. :mad:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I don't know man....

I can appreciate the want or someone to pay when a cyclist dies in a "preventable" manner but should the cop be brought up on charges? Criminal?

It is a sad thing that a racer died and it might have been preventable....I don't see it as being something that criminal charges should be raised against the cop.

I am curious as to how the car struck him...I mean, assuming the car is coming perpindicular to the race course....and happened to cross at the exact moment the racer came in front of them that is amazing. :eek:

I wonder if the racer could see the cop waiving someone thru?

I have raced(or worked) motorcycle races where there are road crossings....they are manned by volunteers and do their best to not have vehicle/biker collisions. I have not heard of any in my neck of the woods ever....but the possibility is there. As a racer I was accutely aware of the crossing and had a stake in safely crossing, namely my life. I even slowed down before crossing roads....it is what I chose to do...to keep me in one peice.

I just think it was a sad accident. :(

I just don't know if the cop was criminally negligent....