Quantcast

trippiest movies?

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
dh girlie said:
Reefer Madness...who laughs maniacally and jumps out windows and becomes a horr after smokin weed?

Deliverance was a bad, bad movie, as well as Seven...both made me feel all depressed after.
Good call on Reefer Madness. I saw the movie once in my Psychology class in college, it was funny...

Deliverance was a pretty wild movie as was "The Deer Hunter."

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Eraserhead is no doubt up there -outright disturbing.
TheThin Red Line is trippy if only beacuse it messes with your expectations so much
Ken Russell's Gothic was pretty trippy.

Just watched Ghost in the Shell II:Innocence, which was trippy in that it would have been way better if I had been tripping. Wicked animated graphics, lousy story chock full o' mediocre existentialist philosophy interspersed with references to the bible, Descartes and Confucianism. It is all in Japanese and the subtitiles include things like [birds chirping] and [loud crashing]. Maybe the produces thought the North American audience would not comprehend the sound of Japanese birds, or that when Japanese steel collapses it makes a undecipherable sound ??

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
May, some seriously f*cked up scenes in that movie.

Donnie Darko
Man Bites Dog

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
Changleen said:
American Psycho isn't what I'd call trippy, but it is an awesome movie. Any of you guys ever see 'Baraka'? It's more a film to watch whilst tripping than to trip you out though..
Baraka is a good movie, stoned or not. One of my friends quit eating eggs and chicken after he saw the conveyer belt scene (he ate one or the other at pretty much every meal before).

Eternal Sunshine, Clockwork Orange, Fear and Loathing, and Apocolypse Now Redux all get my vote.... Oh yeah, "seven" as well...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Changleen said:
American Psycho isn't what I'd call trippy, but it is an awesome movie. Any of you guys ever see 'Baraka'? It's more a film to watch whilst tripping than to trip you out though..
If you like Baraka see the Qatsi trilogi. Start with Koyaanisqatsi. It's Baraka years before Baraka came out. Godfrey Reggio directs. Music by Phillip Glass.

Highly recommended. Everyone should watch it at least once.

http://www.koyaanisqatsi.org/

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I saw Koyannasqatsi with a live performance of the soundtrack by Philip Glass. It was fantastic! Not what I would call trippy, but eye-opening. Everybody should watch it at least once.

What about Frank Zappa's 200 Motels?

Naked Lunch is wierd, but the book is much more unsettling.

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
Primer, this movie blew me away. I had to watch it 3 times.

If you watch it be prepared to have to watch it more than once.

Another one is Pi. I really liked this movie.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jmvar said:

pi is a great flick. excellent, inspired choice of using Autechre to provide the soundtrack, too.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
You mean somebody besides me saw Gummo? Distrubing eh?

What about "Kids"? Not trippy just scary from the point of view of me being a suburbanite / farm boy and not accustom to City life.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
jdschall said:
Any body up "for a bit of the old ultra-violence." if someone mentions that movie again?

A Clockwork Orange
A Clockwork Orange
A Clockwork Orange
A Clockwork Orange
A Clockwork Orange
A Clockwork Orange
A Clockwork Orange
A Clockwork Orange
A Clockwork Orange

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
jmvar said:

I third Pi.
Darren Aronofsky's other films are incredible aswell. Requiem for a Dream, and The Fountain which will be in theaters soon (2005 they say...)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
oly said:
A Clockwork Orange
A Clockwork Orange
A Clockwork Orange
A Clockwork Orange
A Clockwork Orange
A Clockwork Orange
A Clockwork Orange
A Clockwork Orange
A Clockwork Orange

"You needn't take it any further, sir. You've proved to me that all this ultraviolence and killing is wrong, wrong, and terribly wrong. I've learned me lesson, sir. I've seen now what I've never seen before. I'm cured! Praise God! "

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Definetly Pi and Trainspotting...some of my favorite movies. The fact that Pi is shot in complete B/W makes it that much more interesting.