Quantcast

Troy Lee Designs D4 teaser : : Feb 12th launch

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I had Clay Porter work on this D4 project, pretty cool to have the guy making the story of the Daytona (D2, D3, D4...) be from a guy that's always worn one haha.
Check it out

jezso

Chimp
Dec 31, 2010
Dubai, UAE
They still way ahead of SpecialED. It is impossible to get pads, visors or any spares for their helmets. The main reason I dropped them for TLD and now for POC. For me, it was not impossible (but challenging) to find spares for TLD, so if you find better buy two of everything just to make sure. However, ie. for the Stage they supply loads of optional pads, which I think is awesome, I did not see others doing that, but yeah my sample size is insignificant.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Do you really need a helmet teaser? It's a safety item, you buy them because you need them, they aren't cool.
Next Takata will be putting out a teaser for their new airbag that doesn't throw shrapnel at you.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
They still way ahead of SpecialED. It is impossible to get pads, visors or any spares for their helmets. The main reason I dropped them for TLD and now for POC. For me, it was not impossible (but challenging) to find spares for TLD, so if you find better buy two of everything just to make sure. However, ie. for the Stage they supply loads of optional pads, which I think is awesome, I did not see others doing that, but yeah my sample size is insignificant.
I've been trying to buy some helmet liners for years, for the A1.

Have never seen them in stock on TLDs website and the orders I've placed at local shops never go anywhere. :(

I think Jenson had some, but they won't ship them to canada.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Do you really need a helmet teaser? It's a safety item, you buy them because you need them, they aren't cool.
Next Takata will be putting out a teaser for their new airbag that doesn't throw shrapnel at you.
For a helmet this iconic, yes.

I will be purchasing one to replace my very worn D3 Stik...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Meh... I still prefer the look of the D2 to any other DH helmet

You'll need to bring back the old non tight Moto and Rev pants if you want to arouse this old fucker.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
marketing is great but i wish more helmet mnfgs would publish test data on various safety certifications.
That would be...cool, except the legal risk you open up with that is tricky. You can see our A1 and A2 helmets (the only brand to have 2 helmets in the top 5 of all MTB helmets tested) with test algorithm that even adds rotational impact-and even this is disputed/argued about, you can never win. We all have to pass all of the standards and we always do so with flying colors to go above and beyond.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Meh... I still prefer the look of the D2 to any other DH helmet

You'll need to bring back the old non tight Moto and Rev pants if you want to arouse this old fucker.
Maybe because of it's compact size, but, bigger allows you to create better energy management, we prototyped some new impact foam with the D4, I think it would have changed the game-but---too heavy, like even if we dropped 1/2 the weight, it would be soooo heavy. Moto and Rev pants, our GP is still pretty damn roomy and gangsta.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Please hold, checking the PO's
JUST CHECKED PO'S;
Feb 15th they will be online and shipping to dealers a bit before that and our intl customers will have them probably within days.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That would be...cool, except the legal risk you open up with that is tricky. You can see our A1 and A2 helmets (the only brand to have 2 helmets in the top 5 of all MTB helmets tested) with test algorithm that even adds rotational impact-and even this is disputed/argued about, you can never win. We all have to pass all of the standards and we always do so with flying colors to go above and beyond.
The cynical part of me is irritated by the marketing speak here, but at the same time I also get the need for protecting certain aspects of proprietary design and test information. I'm not trying to single you guys out here, I just wish there was more transparency & consistency across the boards when it comes to disclosing exactly how things are tested & what the results are, and more so how they are interpreted and what resulting claims are being made (case in point the kerfuffle when wavecel launched). that being said, i'm glad to see there's finally more progress being made to improve helmet safety. at the end of the day, the last thing i want to see is people getting injured and suffering MTBI.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
we prototyped some new impact foam with the D4, I think it would have changed the game-but---too heavy, like even if we dropped 1/2 the weight, it would be soooo heavy
i know you can't disclose it, but this has me curious. i work a fair amount with various foams in my line of work.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I agree but with everything you said but I take it you dont work in marketing?
No, I was supposed to be in a bit of trouble at work today for rubbishing a brand we sell, but you can't really get in trouble if you just flat out don't give a fuck.
Some of the brands we represent copy existing designs from established brands and make them to very poor standards in the Far East, so they will sell zero units through me.
Play the long game, support people that make good stuff, fuck marketing, stats FTW!

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Isn't this spamming against the user agreement?

Shouldn't companies be paying RM for banner ads and the like to spam me?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
our GP is still pretty damn roomy
for who? a 12yr old kid?
and gangsta.
They're really not.
They taper like your son's girlfiend's jeans.
Ie. They're too tight on the calf muscles
I can barely get knee pads under them. knee/shins no chance!

Tell Troy to do a re-run of the old proper gangsta (non tight ankle) troos in 34 in plain BLACK for some old emo off the internet... it's not like anything needs designed ;)

Last edited: