Quantcast

Troy Lee Lopes Knee Guards

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Mine slipped down a bit while doing northstar, but like lopes told me when I gave him grief "Well whatdya expect? we do not make kids sizes" (Eluding to my incredibly small/skinny leg).
BUT....was the first knee guard I have ever worn that did fit well and stayed up more than ever.
HA. I have the small medium and they are borderline too tight on my legs, and are the proper length. For once I found a product that fits and doesn't have 19 miles of extra strap! Testing begins thursday morning at 9am sharp on A line.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
HA. I have the small medium and they are borderline too tight on my legs, ....
If they're anything like my brand new 07 Combat's, they felt the same way for about a week and now fit perfect.

So rather than a set of knee guards that fit good the first week and are too long and "strappy" thereafter, the straps now fit perfectly.

At first they felt too tight, but now...ZERO complaints. Best pads I've ever had...and the back of the knee on the Combat's is open. I got the small/mediums too.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
you rode your bike? few laps around the warehouse?:clue:
Yes, spent a week in tahoe doing XC with my chick and DH at northstar...then off to whistler for a week, then we will not ride DH again for another year! haha
I will end up using my lopes kneecups for enduro riding far more than DH riding.

I've been using these pads for about a month now and I'm pretty happy with them. They stay up really well, but they will slide down a little over time. I've found the key is to make sure you put the TLD logo of the sleeve right over your kneecap. I have the S/M and the straps are a little long for me, but I discovered that if I cross the straps they tend to stay in place even better. I've endoed a couple of times and they protected my knees both times. I've tried several models of the 661 including the 4x4s and the Roach DH pads and the the TLD Lopes are the best by far.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I like the Fox Launch pads in combination with the Fox neoprene knee braces/pads. Unfortunately Fox discontinued the neoprene braces but many other companies make similar items. This setup does not slip and articulates very well for pedaling.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
I think 911:s are great; they never slip, have great protection and feel light.

rky mtn srfr

Monkey
Nov 26, 2006
Boulder
Been running 661 Kyle Straits for a couple months, and so far so good. They don't have much shin coverage, but do cover some. I haven't crashed with these yet, but they stay nice and snugfor the trail riding i do.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
7 whistler runs, 5 bears, no pad slippage. excellent.
Heh...I was on a connector trail traversing the mountain and I saw these two guys stopped along the trail. I blew by them. The two in front of them were stopping on the trail...I blew by them. I was wondering what the hell was wrong with people. I then looked a little farther down the trail...There was a black bear in the middle of the trail, just chillin'. I screamed like a little girl and it ran into the woods about .0003 seconds before I would've t-boned it and done a front flip to bear snack. That was cool. But my pads didn't slip either.

:monkeydance:

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
i was dh with my friend today and he just got a pair. i got to say there pretty sweet and transcend's write up on them, makes them my next purchase.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
any idea how good the lopes work for tall guys (6'7")? I'm looking to try something new from my fox launch guards
At 6' 7 they may not fit right, Measure from knee to ankle or whatever they say on the TLD and make sure but I have the biggest size and I am 5 9 and they fit just right so.... A pretty long set of knee and shin are the Rockgardn LZ's and they are pretty good too..

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I'm surprised that no one even mentioned Dainese bibs throughout all of this. Do they still make them? I've got a pair that I've run for about 3 or 4 years, and although they're a pain in the ass to put on/take off (you gotta take off your shorts and get semi-naked) I can't recall them ever slipping in all that time. They've got cool thigh pads, too, to prevent charley horses.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I don't think they make the Viking bibs anymore. I have fallen several time on my knees this year and have had little help from the Dianese guards (I run the full shuttle suite aka the gay storm troop look). I don't know if they wear out but the knee guards are just not helping me enough and its seems like the knees are most of the time the first to hit the ground when I fall but they everything stay in place for sure.

The TLDs are the first product I have seen in a long time that I may think could ensure the the guards stay on my skinny legs.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I don't think they make the Viking bibs anymore. I have fallen several time on my knees this year and have had little help from the Dianese guards (I run the full shuttle suite aka the gay storm troop look). I don't know if they wear out but the knee guards are just not helping me enough and its seems like the knees are most of the time the first to hit the ground when I fall but they everything stay in place for sure.

The TLDs are the first product I have seen in a long time that I may think could ensure the the guards stay on my skinny legs.
See above, they definitely make viking bibs. They even still make the useless gemini shorts.