Quantcast

Truing Wheels

Feb 26, 2007
I just got a brand new single track front wheel, and where I bought it from tightened down the spokes a bit more, but the wheel is a goodbit untrue from them being tightened even more, they told me the first ride on it should true the wheel out, is this true ? It doesnt make much since to me ! :confused:

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
What they should have done is put the wheel on a truing stand and trued the wheel for you. What the ride will do is take all the wind-up tension out of the spokes. The amount that it will become more true is not visible by the naked eye just spinning the wheel. If you have a stand, put it in it and true the wheel. If you don't know how to true a wheel, messing with it could seriously jeopardize the integrity of the wheel. Take it to a reputable shop and have them true it, it only cost a couple of bucks.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
whoever told you that should not work on your wheels again. take them to another shop.

i don't buy into the idea that the first few rides will see some spoke settling/ unwinding leading to loose spokes. unfortunately, we tell our customers that at the shop i work at and it really bothers me. if i build a wheel and it comes back loose, i feel i have failed as a builder.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
whoever told you that should not work on your wheels again. take them to another shop.

i don't buy into the idea that the first few rides will see some spoke settling/ unwinding leading to loose spokes. unfortunately, we tell our customers that at the shop i work at and it really bothers me. if i build a wheel and it comes back loose, i feel i have failed as a builder.
If it is a machine built wheel, there is a strong possiblity it was poorly built to begin with.

Some more truing might required.

I don't think this is a good wheel, but unfortunately typical for ones laced and trued by a machine.

soreback

Chimp
Feb 16, 2006
if ya dont know what youre doing, dont TRy to true it or "fix it". take it to a reputable LBS