Quantcast

TRULY INVESTING in your Sport! "Industry take Note!"

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
just got this weekly update from DC Shoes and the one section that truly caught my eye was this amazing accomplishment. They are building a retardedly nice park. That in itself is impressive...BUT...and it's a big BUT....the part I was most impressed was the video detailing how to do it where you are...from the groundwork to the politics the construct!!!!

“GROUNDBREAKING”-- COMING SOON TO DC SHOES.COM

The site at dcshoes.com goes live Monday

“Groundbreaking,” DC’s newest video that documents the creation, building and opening of the world’s first Skate Plaza, is slated to hit shops this month. So to prepare for the upcoming release of “Groundbreaking,” DC Shoes has created an entirely new section at dcshoes.com which goes live early next week. The site is not only full of info about the new video, but also has tons of photos detailing the construction, opening, and inaugural months of the plaza. You can also check out a teaser from the video!

The Skate Plaza in Kettering was conceptualized and developed from start to finish by DC’s Rob Dyrdek to be a place where street skateboarders could come and ride legally forever. “Groundbreaking” is the story of the Plaza. The video will feature action footage of some of today's top pros and ams, as well as explain the Skate Plaza concept. But, “Groundbreaking” is meant to be more than just an amazing skate video. It will also serve as a resource to help build more Skate Plazas. It is envisioned as a tool for skateboarders; a bonus section on the DVD will explain how to best work with communities in order to get a Skate Plaza built, and include a technical segment for park designers, architects and contractors that explains size, spacing and other construction issues that may arise.

The video comes out on November 28th and will be available at local skate shops for only $4.00, with $1.00 of each video sold going to support the future building of more skate plazas around the world. Starting Monday the 18th, head to www.dcshoes.com to see the “Groundbreaking” teaser and page!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
wow that is pretty awesome, good find Butch. Yeah, I would love to get involved in somethig like that, but I have to go and get back into my new tanning bed and drink some Mint Juleps. :D

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
dw said:
wow that is pretty awesome, good find Butch. Yeah, I would love to get involved in somethig like that, but I have to go and get back into my new tanning bed and drink some Mint Juleps. :D
ZING!!! Bwhahaha!!!!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
OK...cut the 1 liners...bunch of peanuts :eviltongue: let's give this topic some life and maybe a few people have some insider info on how to expand DC's concept to our sport. I don't know what DC's profits are, but I'm assuming pretty good considering the owner puts in a full US Rally schedule.

This guy is paying back the sport that pays him in a VERY detailed, organized and politically intelligent way. I would think there are figures in our sport who could take this model and apply to a MTB park?:think:

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
bizutch said:
OK...cut the 1 liners...bunch of peanuts :eviltongue: let's give this topic some life and maybe a few people have some insider info on how to expand DC's concept to our sport. I don't know what DC's profits are, but I'm assuming pretty good considering the owner puts in a full US Rally schedule.

This guy is paying back the sport that pays him in a VERY detailed, organized and politically intelligent way. I would think there are figures in our sport who could take this model and apply to a MTB park?:think:
As the owner of a small MTB company, that has done a lot more to promote mountain biking over the last few years than most of the big companies, I have to agree with you. It would be great for more MTB companies to have a hand in creating riding zones, or support racing, or put on free camps for new riders, etc.

Of course this tends to cost some big $$ to do on such a grand scale as what DC Shoes has done. The big difference I see is that DC makes huge profits on shoes and MTB manufactures just don’t make those kinds of profits. All three of the original owners of DC Shoes have made millions and millions, and when they sold to Quick Silver they are rumored to have made 10s of millions each. With those kinds of profits it’s bit easier to pull off big ideas.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
DC has grown into a huge company. They were one of the first skateboard shoe companies to branch out into other areas (BMX, motocross, FMX, and mountain biking--Steve Peat rides for them). It's nice to see a company devote that much time and money...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
dw said:
What-EVER...but do you have a chick fanning you with a giant palm leaf? I don't want to hear from you until you have a chick fanning you with a giant palm leaf.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
MMike said:
What-EVER...but do you have a chick fanning you with a giant palm leaf? I don't want to hear from you until you have a chick fanning you with a giant palm leaf.
I had to fire the palm leaf girl. It wasn't a selfish choice though. I spent the money I saved on this "Summer Bonus" thing to get some cash for the NORBA pro series winners, and the rest on a goldfish... that my dogs ate.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
dw said:
I had to fire the palm leaf girl. It wasn't a selfish choice though. I spent the money I saved on this "Summer Bonus" thing to get some cash for the NORBA pro series winners, and the rest on a goldfish... that my dogs ate.
That's the oldest excuse in the book.......