Quantcast

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
Medicare for all, free college & the Green New Deal. Yes, he did talk about raising taxes, but how much? Medicare for all alone is estimated to cost $52T over the next 10 years. Where is that money going to come from? You start taxing corporations, they'll do mass layoffs to cover their costs leaving millions without jobs. I'm not denying something must be down to lower our outrageous healthcare costs. Under Obamacare our healthcare costs went up substantially and our copay went WAY up. You can only tax someone so much. Keep in mind I live in California and am already way over taxed compared to the rest of the country. If they want to raise taxes to match what we pay here in CA, fine. I just can't afford to pay more in taxes.
Medicare for could cost up to $52T for the next 10 years, but we are currently spending $3.5T(1) annually on a bloated, for profit system that leaves millions without adequate care, and forces ~500k Americans into bankruptcy(2) every year. That number will only continue to climb as boomers get older, as you know. The difference isn't that substantial, and I believe not tying medical care to employment will generate small business growth and raise wages. We spend more than any other first world country does on healthcare, with worse results, and absolutely heartbreaking stories of needless death and suffering. 1 in 3 GoFundMe pages are dedicated to offsetting healthcare costs - in the richest country in the History of the world.

Obamacare has blown costs out of the water primarily because insurers skirted around the 80/20 rule by raising premiums. On top of that, with healthcare for profit, your premiums need to cover costs not required for single payer, such as advertising costs and middlemen. Under single payer, there would be no drive for insurance provider to do that. You'd also not be paying premiums with each paycheck, so while your taxes would likely be higher your monthly pay deductions would likely remain consistent with where they are now, and you'd not have to think about going broke to fight a diagnoses.

If you want to know how he plans to pay for it (or any of his other programs) go to his website:

1. https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/NationalHealthExpendData/Downloads/highlights.pdf

2. https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2019-09-04/hiltzik-medical-bankruptcy-american-scandal

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-economy-idUSKBN1WG47G

Good thing all those workers have so much to do.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Let me tell you all about the tree fruit industry, mainly my expertise is in pears, apples, peaches, and nectarines. We are on the edge of catastrophe. All of our export markets have tanked. People are already going out of business.

SHIT IS NOT GOOD

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Let me tell you all about the tree fruit industry, mainly my expertise is in pears, apples, peaches, and nectarines. We are on the edge of catastrophe. All of our export markets have tanked. People are already going out of business.

SHIT IS NOT GOOD

Y'all just need to spend more on campaign donations so you can get sweet bailout money.

Now that I have that out of the way, Imma gonna go buy some apples.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

SHIT IS NOT GOOD
WORK HARDER!

Everyone’s getting on the free stuff train.

View attachment 140956

Home » Search » babylonbee

Search Results for babylonbee
Babylon Bee

SATIRE These sources exclusively use humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people’s stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of [...]

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Please, Brian, if you wouldn't mind - explain this graphic in layman's terms, and also please provide citations for the numbers.

What would also be useful to the discussion will be the amounts that we are *already* paying for these things.

I mean your family is already getting "taxed" upwards of $40K/yr. for higher education... you do realize that, right?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Please, Brian, if you wouldn't mind - explain this graphic in layman's terms, and also please provide citations for the numbers.

What would also be useful to the discussion will be the amounts that we are *already* paying for these things.

I mean your family is already getting "taxed" upwards of $40K/yr. for higher education... you do realize that, right?
Also look at your W-2. Box 12, code DD. That's what your employer-sponsored health coverage actually cost.