Quantcast

trunk mounted bike rack

jeremy155rr

Chimp
Oct 8, 2004
any feedback, do they suck? not sure i want a roof rack. anyone have experience with a trunk mounted bike rack?

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
I have one and I use it. it is cheap, it has lasted for ten years and it is a pain in the ass to get my FS on it. The pedals chip the paint on the car and if you don't strap the bike down properly, it will bounce all around when you hit a bump or 75 mph.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Depends on your car and your bike...

I loved my roof rack on my old car. Yeah things tilted a bit, but they never fell off. I had the racks where you didn't have to take the front tire off - so it was really nice! Plus at the time I was living in a city so it made finding parking easy.

Now I have a nicer car and don't want the racks on all the time. I have a trunk mount which is nice b/c it's quick to remove. I've fit a Santa Cruz V10 and an older Iron Horse DH/FR bike on there without much difficulty. However that weight gets transferred to the bumper and/or the trunk... my bumper now has a low spot in the middle. Plus no matter how tight you make it - it will bounce and shift a bit, which leaves marks on the paint if you get ANY dirt under the part that rest on the trunk. Oh yeah - and you can't get in the trunk (this will vary with car style and rack style).

If I had my choice - I'd spend the extra money to get a trailer hitch style. Granted that means I'd have to get the hitch put on my car - but I really think it's better in the long run.