Quantcast

truvativ chainguide

theFOOT

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
nowhere
my 04 p.2 has a truvativ chainguide, and today i was messing around dropping off of a little bench, and i screwed up (it was super slick) and my chain came off, that thing was f-ing hard to get back on, anyone know how i can make sure it doesnt happen again?

adurham

Monkey
Jun 9, 2005
Im guessing yours was a Box Guide i can imagine that being a bitch to put your chain back on. My friend has an older truvativ chainguide and he always has troubles with it. You might could switch to a different guide or run an outer and inner bashguard, but stuff happens if it becomes a frequent problem do something about it, if this is the only time i say dont mess with it.

vwmtnbiker

Monkey
May 15, 2004
manasscrack
is it set up properly? i have one on my dh bike and it was also on my urban bike and i have NEVER dropped a chain.
do not use an inner bashring with this guide...it will not work. you need to either use the truvativ flared bashring or use axel spacers to move your standard one out enough to clear the top guide box. make sure the upper guide is set a little lower than the marking on the mount (it has lines for 34, 36, 38t...etc.) and make sure the lower roller is set quite close to the chainring...if you dont shift a lot you can sometimes set it all the way in on the ring...if you shift through your cassette you will want it set out a little so the chain can move with the rear der.

if you do all that and it still drops i will be very surprised and you may want to just get an e-13...pricey but effective.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
you could run others.... all you need is some spacers between the chain ring and bash gaurd... that may aslo require some longer mounting hardware.. but probably no

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
yeah... i had to put spacers on mine, because i bent it, and it was touching chain.... so now ive got some much needed clearance

vwmtnbiker

Monkey
May 15, 2004
manasscrack
a small axel spacer between the chainring and the spider, and a larger one between the bashring and the spider should be all you need. you'll probably want to get the longer MRP chainring bolts. qbp stocks them. with those you should have no problem running whatever bashring you want

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
yeah, wet benches don't help, personally i don't like truvativ, i would get an e13 like i have srs single ring or drs dual ring, look into em, never drop a chain again