Quantcast

Trying to decide between two bikes

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Ive been looking into getting a new XC bike and would like your opinions on these two bikes.

The Trek 8000

The Cube Reaction

Both are in the same price range and I really dig the fact that the Cube is made of carbon.
But is that worth buying it over the Trek?
Anyone have any experiance with any of these two bikes?
What would you do and why?
I wont ride any races or anything, im a downhill rider and I like riding xc on the side to try and stay in shape :D

Cheers!

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
if the Cube is carbon for the same price as the Trek (which i'm assuming is alu) then go with the Cube. as long as the parts are equal or close. you like the Cube because it's carbon so that looks like a no brainer. check ebay for cheap carbon frames if that's what your looking for. plenty on there to be had if you want to build your own bike up from the ground

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Parts spec is about the same, and I just have a soft spot for carbon with all the carbon downhill frames coming out lately.
Geo looks about the same as well so unless anyone can convince me not to go for the Cube Ill probably end up buying it...
Dont really have the time to build my own bike unfortunatly.

Cheers :)

Last edited:

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Not all carbon is created equal. If it is the same price as alum then it is probably crap. I'd go with the Trek.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
The geometry is what you should look at first. Does either bike have geometry that matches your preferences?

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Not all carbon is created equal. If it is the same price as alum then it is probably crap. I'd go with the Trek.
One of the reasons why I havent made up my mind yet.
Cube does have a good rep her and I know some people that are happy with them (alu versions though).
I also know the guys of Cube here in Holland fairly well and Im sure warrantee wont be a problem if something would go wrong.
I also dont ride it that hard cause the trails here in Holland arent too demanding.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
The geometry is what you should look at first. Does either bike have geometry that matches your preferences?
Im pretty clueless about geo on XC bikes since I havent been putting much thought in my previous XC bikes. My current bike is a 7 year old Kona Kula.
Ill be riding in Holland probably 99% of the time and the country is allmost as flat as a pancake.
The trails I ride are mostly single track but not extremely technical or demanding.
Does this commend any special geo features? The head angle on the Trek is 71 and the Cube is 70 so that probably wont make too much of a difference...
I would like to be able to ride the bike a little on the wild side :D

Last edited: