Quantcast

trying to find a job sucks...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i realized today that i probably am not going to get any of the 5 jobs that i applied for a while back, so now i am scrambling to try and figure something out. i figured that having a few years of retail experience under my belt and also loads of outdoors experience would make me quite qualified to work at the local ems or rei (both have a couple clueless people working there), but i guess not. :plthumbsdown:

seeing as how i probably won't get any of the jobs that i really wanted, i'm now trying to see if i can find any openings outside of the greater boston area. that way i can at least get out of my hometown to help me retain at least some of my sanity if i have a ****ty job. current ideas for new places to go are north conway and lake placid. touristy areas usually have lots of low-level jobs and both should have plenty of camping areas where i could stay for the summer. being in either of those places would also save me a ton of money since i wouldn't have to drive far to get to the great climbing that both of those areas offer.

this is the first time that i've been completely uncertain about my summer employment and it really sucks. i can only imagine what those of you who are in similar situations but have families to support or rent to pay feel like.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
stay at home and find a job. don't burden yourself with expenses when you're just now trying to dig yourself out of typical college freshman post-year debt.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
You have to realize that retailers value reliable, year-round mediocrity over enthusiastic seasonal workers.

Buy a beater tow-truck and become a repo-man. Recession breeds opportunity!

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
You have to realize that retailers value reliable, year-round mediocrity over enthusiastic seasonal workers.
i am well aware that most places want employees who will stay for a while, but generally most outdoor stores need a couple extra employees over the summer as that's when their business picks up a bit.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I was on the verge of delivering pizza's before getting my job. :(

Good luck on the search mang!

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
have you tried putting your resume on craigslist...i did that and had 3 calls within a couple weeks and a new job almost 3 weeks after i posted it

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
i am well aware that most places want employees who will stay for a while, but generally most outdoor stores need a couple extra employees over the summer as that's when their business picks up a bit.
It seems like most places are operating on skeleton crews, or are cutting back. Have you thought about doing something other than retail for the summer?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The forecast for retail growth over the next 18 months is pretty grim. Many retailers have instituted a hiring freeze - seasonal businesses will be hit hardest as they do not sell the core stables of everyday life.

Also: the cost of hiring & training temp labor is very high, in times of economic stress the return on investment is just too low to justify a newbie. The chances of the previous years seasonal employees returning are pretty good - they'll have a leg up because their past performance is already a known quantity.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
The forecast for retail growth over the next 18 months is pretty grim.
In other words, time to go to back to school and get a Masters or Phd.

Or join the Air Force for the next 4 years. Steady paycheck and job security second to none.

By the time you're out you will be riding the economic upswing.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
Mike - I've got a lead on a place to stay for ya - either cheap rent or no rent if you're willing to do some home improvement type work. Nothing spectacular, but it'll get you out of the 'rents house for the summer (but still close enough to steal a couple meals off 'em). Lemme know if you want more info (or maybe I'll see you Saturday?)