Quantcast

Trying to get back into riding bmx

njdeadhead

Monkey
May 16, 2007
I am trying to get back into riding bmx after not being on one for over 10 years. I am 5' 7" 170 and the last bike I had was a 2nd gen sam dirt bike. So you can tell it has been some time. So I need some help with what is good. I was looking at frames form fit and sunday what do you all think. Or what do you all think is a better way for me to go.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
i don't know why people don't suggest these bikes, but t hey are awesome bikes....

Se Heavy Hitter (850.00)

Se Wildman Pro (550.00)

SE Wildman X-pert (430.00)

these bikes in practice...

njdeadhead

Monkey
May 16, 2007
I am not that big on the I-dear of going with a complete. I have had complete bmx bikes in the past and had a good frame with **** for parts. In the end spent more money then if I went from the ground up. But thanks for the info and help.

Zenkis14

Monkey
Sep 20, 2009
Man, if you are just getting back into BMX, you really oughta look into the Completes that Mirraco and WeThePeople are making, you will be happily surprised to see the spec on the 450+ completes. If your spending under 550, go Mirraco, and over go WTP. For hte Dollar, you really cant beat it, even building a custom.

Go to your local BMX LBS, and see what they have man, you might be surprised and save yourself quite a bit of money...

Although, if you are 105% turned off to buying a complete for whatever reason, WTP, FIT, S&M, and Sunday make excellent frames.

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I am trying to get back into riding bmx after not being on one for over 10 years. I am 5' 7" 170 and the last bike I had was a 2nd gen sam dirt bike. So you can tell it has been some time. So I need some help with what is good. I was looking at frames form fit and sunday what do you all think. Or what do you all think is a better way for me to go.
check out the offerings at

http://www.empirebmx.com/store/empire_index.asp

and

http://www.albes.com/

you basically can't go wrong with anything they have.......

njdeadhead

Monkey
May 16, 2007
The reason I am not big on buying a complete is I have not had luck with them in the past .After all this time s&m still makes good frames. How are WTP? I have to take a look at some of the new stuff at the shops by me. Just did not have the time this last past week. That and I would like to have a I-dear what I am looking for first also.

Zenkis14

Monkey
Sep 20, 2009
Yessir they have. I rode ten years ago, and just got back into it this year, and was completely blown away by completes! They are unreal for hte money now!

WTP makes GREAT complete as well as the frame, go for the Envy frame if you are looking for one from WTP.

njdeadhead

Monkey
May 16, 2007
I did not think I would be thinking about going with a complete but you all have me thing about getting one. I see what you mean by the parts are a lot better now then when I last picked one up. Zenkis14 the Envy looks sweet. Zen what bike do you ride.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
I rode a complete WTP trust all summer and fall. Great bike for the money. Definetly look into fit or wtp completes.

roadwork

Chimp
Nov 19, 2009
I rode a complete WTP trust all summer and fall. Great bike for the money. Definetly look into fit or wtp completes.
The Trust seems to have favorable reviews. I can't decide between it and the 24" Avenue. The store here in Korea won't be getting the 2010 Avenue/Avenger which I was interested in because of the different geometry. So I might go with the Trust instead. You think it's big enough/sturdy enough for a 5'10" 190-200lb guy like me? Aside from a few jumps and bunny hops, I'm not going all out extreme on it, so I don't need something bulletproof.

Zenkis14

Monkey
Sep 20, 2009
I did not think I would be thinking about going with a complete but you all have me thing about getting one. I see what you mean by the parts are a lot better now then when I last picked one up. Zenkis14 the Envy looks sweet. Zen what bike do you ride.
I ride a Stolen Heist, all custom now, but only for the sole reason that I worked at a shop all summer, and had nothing really to blow money on besides bike parts haha. But even stock it was a FULL 4130 frame/fork/bars/3pc cranks, 9t cassette driver rear with sealed double wall rims front and rear, and integrated headset and sealed bottom bracket, for retail price of 489 :D dude it'd take a thousand to build a bike like that 10 years ago!

Heres my 20" right after teh build, and before much abuse.

I wont be upgrading anything any time soon but if I do, i'll start with a WTP complete! :thumb:

Last edited:

Zenkis14

Monkey
Sep 20, 2009
So I was bored tonight...really bored, and made a whole spread sheet comparing all of the 2010 BMX Bike from these companies. I left out many of the brakeless models, as the shop I work with wont be stocking any of them. But none-the-less, I figured my little spread sheet could help out a few people on here currently looking and comparing new BMX bikes. Ask any questions you have.

There are many other things for comparison out there, but as you see, this will summarize the main key components to think about when buying a new BMX bike, such as sealed wheels? full 4130 frame? 1pc driver hubs? Pivotal seats? etc...

But as you can see "Y" = Yes. Highlighted = Yes. Blue font = special upgrade etc..

Sorry the picture is a bit grainy, I had to just "print screen" from excel then paste in Paint and crop accordingly lol

You will have to click on and view full size for anything to be readable at all. I left off prices, because all of the local shops will have different prices, so its up to you to find out what you will be paying.