Quantcast

tubeless at Diablo?

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
I'm running 2.5" nevegals w/ kenda DH tube. I was thinking about trying a tubeless conversion with rim strips and stans sealant. Anyone on here running tubeless? how is it holding up at Diablo? First priority is to cut weight, but also tired of the wasted money and time changing tubes every week (run of bad luck lately)

PCinSC

Chimp
Jun 17, 2007
According to Kenda they suggest you should not use Stan's (or other conversion) in their tires. That said, I've heard lots of people do it anyway.

I did a weekend there running tubeless Hutch Octopus 2.5 USTs on Mavic 823 rims and they worked great. Excellent grip (except in the sand), no burping and of course no flats. I do use high pressure (~45psi), but I'm also a big guy at 270lbs. FWIW.

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
I have been running Kenda tires for 2 seasons now with stan's conversion. The only problems I have every had is 2 sidewall "bites" that I had to patch to save from just throwing out the tires. You will in fact need to run higher pressures (28-32 psi) if you are planning on running no-tube conversions as if you run lower pressure you will damage your rims and possibly even roll them off and burp out air. Kenda gave me the same line the last time I talked to them that any tubless conversion "ruined" the inside linings of their tires but again I ran all last season on a single pair of tires without a single flat. Hope this is helpfull. By the way I have never ridden Diablo with tubeless, but I have ridden allamuchy, cat classic and several other rock infested courses with the stuff. Good luck

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
I run tubeless in the front but its a genuine tubeless setup with a mavic 823 and a michelin comp 24. I works really good thanks to the stans. I poured some of that in there earlier today to cover up a massive leak. Works like a charm. Never had the chance to go ghetto tubeless though. I refuse to run it in the rear just because of my 180lb ass and for the sheer fact that the back rim takes more abuse.

D

dirtyjrzy1031

just patch it,i got 3 patches in my tubes since last year.and i bought a new bike, took the old tubes out and it still works.if you think a pound of tubes is going to make u faster on the racecourse,well good luck.

konarider1283

Monkey
Sep 1, 2005
i run a tubeless setup at diablo, as does my buddy. ive got an i9 setup, hes got deemaxes. he has lasted all of last season and all of the current season without a problem, and i havent had a problem yet. I dont know about the tubeless conversion program seeing as that ive got a tubeless rim, but ive heard great things about the stans program. Just give it a shot, worst case is you run a tube back in there :)

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
good point. if it fails, I'll just walk down the mountain (again) and throw in a tube. definitely worth a shot.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
the Kenda recommendation to what i recall was in regards to the XC tires more than their DH tires. I know a lot of people run the Kenda DH tires with no issues with stans.

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
well, I set up my rear tire today. I may do the front tomorrow, may not. But I'll let you guys know how it held up on Sunday.