Quantcast

tubeless leaks?

Im running tubeless for the first time and was wondering if any of you guys have problems with air slowly leaking out when the bike is left to sit a couple days? Im running Hutchinson Spiders on Crossmax XL's and when the bike sits for one evening they lose about 20 psi and when they sit a couple nights they are almost completely flat. When I pump them up they have seemed to hold fine for a 2 hour ride but im just getting tired of pumping them up before every ride.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
caboverpete said:
Im running tubeless for the first time and was wondering if any of you guys have problems with air slowly leaking out when the bike is left to sit a couple days? Im running Hutchinson Spiders on Crossmax XL's and when the bike sits for one evening they lose about 20 psi and when they sit a couple nights they are almost completely flat. When I pump them up they have seemed to hold fine for a 2 hour ride but im just getting tired of pumping them up before every ride.

Then switch back to tubes my friend. You should always be checking and adjusting your tire pressure before every ride.

That being said if you throw some Stan's in there it will help a little, but still expect to lose about 1-2 psi per day down to a certain point. If my tires sit for a week they will only fall to like 20psi.

I have the same wheelset.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I have used the tubeless setup for years and inflating the tires before every ride is a small sacrifice for the perfomance gains and flat resistance.

I run tubeless occasionally for a few months at a time, and never have to top off the tires. Mine have held their air perfectly. And that's the way it should be. Do your cars require inflating every time you go out? Sure you should check every ride, but they shouldn't leak. Mine don't and I don't consider myself a tire mounting expert.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
CChase86 said:
I run tubeless occasionally for a few months at a time, and never have to top off the tires. Mine have held their air perfectly. And that's the way it should be. Do your cars require inflating every time you go out? Sure you should check every ride, but they shouldn't leak. Mine don't and I don't consider myself a tire mounting expert.
Uh you should check your tire pressure in your vehicle at a MINIMUM every time you change your oil. And if you drive your vehicle off road you better check the air pressure more regularly. Not to mention the margin for error based on volume is probably 20x's that of a passenger car, Id say checking them before every ride is more then acceptable.

There is a big difference between a quick pressure check and reinflating a tire before every ride. Ive noticed the rear loses air much faster than the front. Maybe i should try removing them and reseating them. They came on a complete bike so maybe they were never put on that well to begin with.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
caboverpete said:
There is a big difference between a quick pressure check and reinflating a tire before every ride. Ive noticed the rear loses air much faster than the front. Maybe i should try removing them and reseating them. They came on a complete bike so maybe they were never put on that well to begin with.

Could be, but still EXPECT to loose a Psi per day or so. You may also not be able to see some very slight cracks along your knobbies in the tire that will have some seepage.

Good luck

Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Uh you should check your tire pressure in your vehicle at a MINIMUM every time you change your oil. And if you drive your vehicle off road you better check the air pressure more regularly. Not to mention the margin for error based on volume is probably 20x's that of a passenger car, Id say checking them before every ride is more then acceptable.
I didn't say "don't check your car tires", I just asked if you had to inflate them every time you took a drive because they had lost air in a day.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
CChase86 said:
I didn't say "don't check your car tires", I just asked if you had to inflate them every time you took a drive because they had lost air in a day.
They do lose air every day, given the size of the tire and the smooth riding on roads compared to a MTB trail, consideribly less, but yes they do.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
They do lose air every day, given the size of the tire and the smooth riding on roads compared to a MTB trail, consideribly less, but yes they do.
That and the beads are fairly well seated compared to a UST tire. I mean, they take some *work* to break the bead manually on a car tire.

I think most UST leakage comes around the bead, no? I wouldn't actually know since I tossed tubes in mine so quickly. :D

-S.S.-

Mtb_Rob_FL said:
I guess, but we have a car tucked away in the garage that comes out once a year. We haven't had to touch the tire pressure in two years (and we check everything when it comes out). They're fairly low volume tires, too.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Whatever. Like Echo, I use Stans. I have one Crossroc rim (proably an X3.1 or something) and I think the other is an 823. I am running Conti Vertical Pro 2.3s with a bit of Stans in each. I have not gotten a flat (almost a year of riding) and I don't lose air. I don't check my tire pressure every ride because, with the Stans and my setup, it just isn't necessary. It always is within a few psi of where it was last time. Seems to lose air only a tad faster or the same rate as tubes.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Every time a bike w/ tubeless goes flat, we pour in a scoop of Stans and we forget about it.

Or you could try to find the leak with soapy water and an air compressor then patch the tubeless tire. Maybe a 40 minute job.

Hmm, 2 minutes or 40?

jwiffle

Chimp
Sep 7, 2004
I have UST Spider 2.3s on my Mavic XM 819 UST rims, and they leaked pretty bad at first. So I threw in a little Stan's. They've held fine since, and I ride knowing I have some puncture protection.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I have found a lot of variance with different brands ability to hold air. Geax need every ride top ups, Michelin and Hutchinson do not. Maxxis are fine too but the Kenda's need top ups. Stans of something like it will work well. I put some Schwalbe's on the wifes bike and they were trully hard to get on without tools but hardly any air leakage. Tioga's are also pretty leak resistant.

Tubed set ups will also leak and need top ups, but not as often as tubeless.