Quantcast

Tubeless Question

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
You need something to protect the rim strip from the spoke holes. Stan's recommend using fibre tape. I find a little extra meat under the strip by way of a couple wraps of electrical tape helps tires hold the initial air blast better.

J

JRB

Stan's send packing tape, which is what I am using with my maxxis strips. It works great. It won't break down and mash into the spoke holes over time. Anything lacking the threads in the tape will ultimately start sinking in. I would think that the same would happen to the strip, which could alter the ability to seal, and you wouldn't know it was happening, until it did.

splat

Nam I am
Makes sense. I just find usingthe Maxxis Strips ( which are Much thicker than an regular inner tube ) just doesn't seat righ on a Mavic rim which it says it is desinged for . , with outthe Rim Strip its fits perfectly .

Loco did you ever try it with out the rim strip ?

Is that really loco ? Making a post that is actually useful ????

J

JRB

I had trouble with the Maxxis strips on Sun rims, but they work perfectly on my Alex Supra Ds. With Mavic rims, I think Stan's strips are supposed to work the best. The Bonti strips are nice, but I don't know how they fit Mavics. Is the strip bulging at the stem??? If so, you can bore the inner rim surface a bit to make it recess. What Mavics are you running??? I know Stan's work great with 517s. Didn't Maxxis discontinue theirs??? I want to get some more.

*do you know which ones I got from you, Mark??? They work great.

BTW - splat, I don't crap on threads outside of the lounge. OK - I try not to.