Quantcast

tubes

R

RideMonkey

I'd spend a few extra bucks and get the Ritchey superlights or something like that. They save rotating weight (the most important), and they are just as tough as a standard.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I use the Ultralight tubes when I race but train with heavier tubes. If you're interested, I think Performance makes an Ultralight tube.
________
R75

Last edited:

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
I like self healing tubes. The make light versions, too. I started using them a year ago nad I've had three flats in that time. (2 where my fault for messing around doing trials with low tire pressure.)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Merwin5_10
I like self healing tubes. The make light versions, too. I started using them a year ago nad I've had three flats in that time. (2 where my fault for messing around doing trials with low tire pressure.)
Are you talking about slime tubes?
________
Honda cbr600f4 specifications

Last edited:

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I've found that running a larger tube than specified on the tire helps prevent pinch flats, ie. a 2.3 tube in a 1.9. When you blow up a tire the rubber stretches. The larger the tube in a small tire, the less the material stretches. Stretched material = thin material. I also wrap my tubes with other tubes that are cut up to create an extra layer of material. I've heard that some DH riders will even put a 1.9 TIRE in their 3.0 Tire to help prevent pinch flats.

G

gravity

i think u've all missed the point here. I think MBC is asking DOES SIZE MATTER? yes i know that sounds sick but i meant with tubes....the circular rubber kind.........that go inside your tyre. anyway, if your tubes are 26x2.1 that means your tyre is 2.1 inches wide, the 26 referring to your wheel size (26" is the standard MTB wheel size, but some jumpers and DHers use 24" on the back or both ends). anyway, on the box which the tube comes in it will have the tyre width range which it is designed to be used for, eg it might say 1.95-2.3" in which case it would fit your tyre. the presta valve is the type of valve (i think schrader are car-style and presta are the bike-specific type but it may be the other way round im not 100% sure) and it will say on the box what type of valve it has. if you're buying the tube from your LBS (as opposed to a department store) then the guys there will tell you what you need.

Originally posted by gravity
i think u've all missed the point here. I think MBC is asking DOES SIZE MATTER? yes i know that sounds sick but i meant with tubes....the circular rubber kind.........that go inside your tyre. anyway, if your tubes are 26x2.1 that means your tyre is 2.1 inches wide, the 26 referring to your wheel size (26" is the standard MTB wheel size, but some jumpers and DHers use 24" on the back or both ends). anyway, on the box which the tube comes in it will have the tyre width range which it is designed to be used for, eg it might say 1.95-2.3" in which case it would fit your tyre. the presta valve is the type of valve (i think schrader are car-style and presta are the bike-specific type but it may be the other way round im not 100% sure) and it will say on the box what type of valve it has. if you're buying the tube from your LBS (as opposed to a department store) then the guys there will tell you what you need.
Thanks - I'm aware of all that - I guess what I'm referring to is this: tire size 26x2.1
I've seen tubes for like (for example) 1.95-2.3 range and 2.1-2.5 range - that's what I meant - I should have been more specific. Anyway, I bought the larger ones, and hopefully we will prevent pinch flats based on what some of you said.

Thanks.