Quantcast

Tuning Fox RCs (some push too)

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
I got my shock done full Race by Push. (it was due anyway)

So, what about set up for RCs ? Can we get a review or tutorial going here. I've never really had it explained to me proper like.

What I've done:

Choosing springs: I put the spring on by giving it like two full rotations w/ the collar. I sit on the bike and hopefully it compresses the spring through about 1/3 of the shafts total travel. (measured by the rubber stopper moving) I go higher/lower as needed. Running a 550# now

Rebound: I try to make it so I can hop OK. And so it doesn't feel like I hit the ejection button on drops...

Compression: I back it off. And leave it off. Maybe like a turn or two at most. Seems like all RC problems stem from compression being set too high... I've got a second RC for DH/Backup. It was modified by a guy who shuts the compression feature out 100%. But it rides great.

Hows that sound ?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by gmac

What I've done:

Choosing springs: I put the spring on by giving it like two full rotations w/ the collar. I sit on the bike and hopefully it compresses the spring through about 1/3 of the shafts total travel. (measured by the rubber stopper moving) I go higher/lower as needed. Running a 550# now

spring depends on your bike, some bikes may be able to use a lower spring weight and run more sag (closer to 1/3rd of total) because they are progressive and such, other bikes like some single pivot types may need a higher spring rate and need to run "less" sag, closer to 1/4 or 1/8 of total travel to not bottom out, it just depends on the bike to a large extent.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
I wouldnt rule out the compression adjustment... its there for a reason. for one, if the trail is very rocky, and you are tending to "skip" across sections, if you have the compression backed all the way off, your rear end is not going to behave optimally. i tend to go fairly deep into my compression adjustment on trails that are mostly rock, as i dont like my rear end to too springy in sections like this. it also helps on big drops where you are likely to bottom out. you dont wanna be just blowin through your travel in 1/1000 of a second(with or with out the compression adjustment, you will use most or all your travel) you want it to slow your landing, not just add 7 or 8 inches to it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by SebringMGB
I wouldnt rule out the compression adjustment... its there for a reason. for one, if the trail is very rocky, and you are tending to "skip" across sections, if you have the compression backed all the way off, your rear end is not going to behave optimally. i tend to go fairly deep into my compression adjustment on trails that are mostly rock, as i dont like my rear end to too springy in sections like this. it also helps on big drops where you are likely to bottom out. you dont wanna be just blowin through your travel in 1/1000 of a second(with or with out the compression adjustment, you will use most or all your travel) you want it to slow your landing, not just add 7 or 8 inches to it.
The fox RC compresion adjustment can not be used for this because it is an "overall" adjustment with no provision for low speed and high speed, it has no "blowoff" and simply restricts the flow. This is not a usefull adjustment and does not allow riders of different weights to "tune" it for themselves.

This might not be true for a push-modified RC, but it is definitely true for a stock RC.