Quantcast

Tuning SuperTPro for jumping/freeriding?

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
I ride an 03 Super T Pro and am looking for tuning advice. Anybody with experience riding these..I am just lookin to see how others have theirs tuned. I have my preload cranked alll the way in and have the rebound set in the middle, it feels okay but if anyone knows a good way to set it, I am listening. Thanks.

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
not sure, I think the springs are stock, and as for the oil I have yet to open it up. I am probably going to order beefier springs soon( I weigh 225) and have thought about a heavier weight oil for sure.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
When I had a Super T I ran the stiffest springs with max oil in each leg (I think 5 or 7.5 weight). I also ran as little preload as possible and the rebound in the middle. The fork was pretty stiff all the way around this way. It would ramp up nice at the bottom and pedaled well, but didn't have the best small bump preformance. Hope that helps, mine was an 02, but as far as I know the internals were pretty much the same.
Jake

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
If you are 225# you definitely need heavier springs, and I would try to avoid running preload. Call Marzocchi (1.661.257.6630) and speak with the Tech guys and tell them what you are going to do with the fork -- they will help.

Sounds like heavy springs and full oil may be the ticket.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
okay according to marzocchi techs you dont need to change the oil in the fork. there is a reason they dont make oil with a heavier wt than 7.5. its just not needed in the forks.

but before anything is done to the oil and springs play around with your adjusments. they arent just magically set by God you have to experiment.

After, you have experimented the first thing that you need to try is put more oil in. if that isnt enough then go to stiffer springs. these two little things will take care of all your worries.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
I have an 04 super T and I weigh around 155 pounds. I put 10 weight oil in with a small amount more than it came with. it is very nice now. When I go dirt jumping I speed up the rebound a little when DHing I like it slow. preload in the middle. I have yet to bottom it out of 12 foot drops to tranny with this method and I am using almost all of my travel.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Get the right springs, and you oil should coordinate.
ie. Heavy springs=heavy oil
also try diff. springs in each leg.

Don't adjust preload more than 5 or so turns, it just means your springs are too soft.
make sure to get the seals nice and greasy if you get the opportunity.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
I put 10 weight oil in with a small amount more than it came with.
wow i weigh 5 lbs less than you do and i have had no probs with the stock setup on my fork. i have hit 12 footers with it and not bottomed it out and i know people who weigh around 180 who have not bottomed theres out with the stock setup. its just uneccessary for any rider to use more than 7.5 wt oil in the marzocchi forks. its just uneaded with the way that the internals are set up on the things. this is comming from a marzocchi tech and an lbs. so i kinda think it has some basis.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My wifes 03 Super T is set up with 5wt oil set at the lowest level and stock springs....

You definately need heavier spring in both legs but use stock 7.5wt oil at the max level.

Geoff G.

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
scituate mass
Kanter said:
My wifes 03 Super T is set up with 5wt oil set at the lowest level and stock springs....

You definately need heavier spring in both legs but use stock 7.5wt oil at the max level.
Actually, I've heard that you shouldn't run 5wt oil at all. I would reccoment 10wt for anyone over 200#'s. I use it in my super, and it feels wicked good. Also, I have the heaviest springs in it, but I am toying with the idea of adding stock springs for the top set of springs to give it more sensitivity on small stuff.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Geoff G. said:
Actually, I've heard that you shouldn't run 5wt oil at all. I would reccoment 10wt for anyone over 200#'s. I use it in my super, and it feels wicked good. Also, I have the heaviest springs in it, but I am toying with the idea of adding stock springs for the top set of springs to give it more sensitivity on small stuff.

She weighs 135. Zoke said try 5wt and stock springs first. Its still too stiff for her. I ordered the air assit a few days ago. Im going to set it up with only one spring, 7wt, and air assit this time.