Quantcast

Tuning tips for Boxxers.

Xtreme

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
Does any body have a ny tuning tips for Boxxers.
I've done the compression check valve thing but am wondering if there are any more bits I can do.
Does anybody do Ti springs for Boxxers as although the performance may not be improved to much it would shave some weight.

SKYWAYBUZZ

Monkey
Mar 16, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA.
Xtreme have you changed the stock springs at all? Whats your wieght? My 160lbs goes real well with one silver spring and one stock yellow. Freakin Great now. Did you notice much change by drilling the check valve Xtreme? I've not yet drilled my 2001 Boxxer check valve.

Xtreme

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
I haven't changed the springs yet but have changed the oil weights.
I compaired someones who had theres done by a top tuner and had soft srpings in to mine which i'd done myself and had mediumk springs in and mine felt plusher.
I will change the springs soon but wanted to know if you could get Ti springs.
I know that Avalanche use them in theres so in theory you could get them it's just has anybody done the right size for Boxxers.

It does make some difference but not loads.
It smooths them out. Also just under the Seals there is a big gap, I filled that with Judy Butter, cleaned all the internals out, greased a few parts and changed the oil weight to 7.5 in the compression leg.
They are know loads smoother and softer.

SKYWAYBUZZ

Monkey
Mar 16, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA.
Ya I put 7.5 oil in both legs on my 6" Boxxers to get them more like my 7" Boxxers. Worked good with one 6" yellow spring and the 7" yellow spring from my 7" when I replaced it with the silver 7" spring. I had to use a little marz 4" rebound spring with the 7" spring to make it long enough when you take out the long top spacer on the 6" Boxxers. I have a spare 7" white spring new if your like 145lbs!

retrofred

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
canyon country, Ca.
you can get the 03 comp damper and hc2 dampers to fit the older boxxer and the new updated base valves, the 03 comp base valve has ten holes in it versus the old one with four. i can't believe the difference in performance over the older boxxer damping, it is like night and day.

Xtreme

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
I've drilled out the old valve so it is in effect the same as the ones in the comps.
Whats the difference between the 01 and 03 comp damper and hc2 dampers .
What difference would it make.

retrofred

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
canyon country, Ca.
the new hc2 rebound damper really works well, you can run lower weight oils like 7 or 5wt, 5wt is what rock shox suggests. i have changed to 7 and found it to maybe to heavy and am going to change back to 5wt. as for the new comp damper, the internals are all different( same as the black box) and don't need to run heavy oils in it either. rockshox says nothing over 10wt, and i believe it cauce i am running 7wt and it feels just right. and i am a big guy (230.5lbs)