Quantcast

turdsday gfmt

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've funded my cycling habit via eye theft for years now. :banana: Highly recommended if you can stomach all the school and the educational debt.

Seriously though, there are many relatively common eye things (glaucoma, retinal tear and detachment, ocular tumors, increased intracranial pressure, early diabetic eye disease or macular degeneration, etc) which can cause irreversible harm to your vision or person which do not manifest noticable changes in vision until it is much later than desired to initiate treatment. No way to know if you aren't checked out. The cost of doing this is screening lots of totally normal/healthy people to find folks having a problem.

The technology exists to perform imaging-based screening without a human operator and refer patients with abnormal findings for an in person exam. I think this will come to a kiosk at CVS or Walmart in the years to come. This will hurt people who do screening for a living (optometry in many cases)--many/most ophthalmologists, being medical doctors only really see people with a diagnosed problem. Nearly all my patients have a potentially blinding eye disease--the conversations in clinic get heavy in clinic sometimes as you may imagine. That said, saving someone's vision is something I can always get out of bed and face the grind of life in order to do and I generally feel good about how I spent my day.
I have had eye doctors diagnose concussions and high blood pressure, probably more effectively than a GP would.

Getting the face balls tested next week as they have been bothering me and I am worried it isn't an eye problem.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I have had eye doctors diagnose concussions and high blood pressure, probably more effectively than a GP would.

Getting the face balls tested next week as they have been bothering me and I am worried it isn't an eye problem.
I hope it's nothing serious. If you get stuck, DM me. Happy to give you my thoughts.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Nope - got a buddy and his wife with "captain licenses"(?) if that's what they're called. So we are renting a catamaran and rolling our own around the islands...
the travis mcgee book fan side of me finds this fascinating....

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Seems a bit optimistic, given it's a Subaru. Have you talked with @Pesqueeb ? :D
Steering rack full of water implies that car has been at least partially submerged. I would get rid of that car *yesterday*. And FUCK the dealer who sold you that car. It is a time bomb.

Edit to add: @pigboy the best case scenario here is that the dealership simply failed to do an even basic safety inspection. As much as it pleases me to shit on Subaru, the make of car here is kind of incidental. To reiterate: if that car has been flooded, regardless of make or model, GET RID OF IT. Now.

3000YearsAgo.jpg

my subie is just north of 12 years, and will be rolling over to 140k miles in the coming weeks.
Has your Subaru obviously been flooded recently?

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
i knew of that road

sucks.

atleast you are not in philly...

meanwhile in Canadaland... https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-homicide-barrhaven-berrigan-drive-arrest-1.7136366

(this doesn't happen very often here... in fact, it may be a first in my town)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
:fie:

Middle kid is still driving the '97 my wife bought brand new. Gotta have 225K on the odometer by now at least.

:3000YearsAgo.jpg:

:D
honestly at this point the thought has crossed my mind as to whether or not this one will still be running by the time my old is 16. which is only 7 more years.

:panic:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
La Tundra Roja clicked over 268k on the clock this past week... despite some loose AF bearings in the front control arms and a super noisy exhaust manifold leak, that truck just keep doing the damn thing. It gets the damn thing done, every damn time I turn the key.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
La Tundra Roja clicked over 268k on the clock this past week... despite some loose AF bearings in the front control arms and a super noisy exhaust manifold leak, that truck just keep doing the damn thing. It gets the damn thing done, every damn time I turn the key.
my Land Cruiser is at 189k now, and unless I total it it's with me for the long haul

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have a half dozen payments left on the truck and she's at about 230k or so (I try not to look). I know she will do at least 300k, so she has at least a few more years of service.

I was looking at getting another Vette until the work situation, fuckers. Hopefully this is temporary and I can get back to dreaming of a fun commuter again.

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
wat.gif

what was the resolution? buyback?
day 1: steering u-joint - we split the cost. this was the initial, incorrect diagnosis of the problem. $500 out of each of our pockets.
days 2-14: lots of failure to diagnose actual problem, including tow the car to another dealer, hours and hours of their time down the tubes, new Subaru OEM steering rack (including tie rod ends, electric motor, and all the gubbins) replaced by the dealer. I didn't pay for any of days 2-14 (other than wasting my time going to the dealer to demonstrate that they hadn't fixed anything until day 14).

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Oooh. Worn out Japanese cars you say? Our Taco must be over 300k at this point. Might need some tranny work, bc it is eating throwout bearings. Trooper is close 300k as well. I just can’t bring myself to spend >$70k on something that I am just gonna regret…new trucks = hot garbage

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
Steering rack full of water implies that car has been at least partially submerged. I would get rid of that car *yesterday*. And FUCK the dealer who sold you that car. It is a time bomb.

Edit to add: @pigboy the best case scenario here is that the dealership simply failed to do an even basic safety inspection. As much as it pleases me to shit on Subaru, the make of car here is kind of incidental. To reiterate: if that car has been flooded, regardless of make or model, GET RID OF IT. Now.

Has your Subaru obviously been flooded recently?
seems unlikely that the car was in a flood, but it is possible. carfax came back clean and it lived its life entirely in a nearby town that hasn't had catastrophic flooding in recent times.

possibly the previous owner drove it through deep standing water or sumpin'

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Jesus christ today was a dark one. Talked to one cop whose wife and dad both died of COVID while he was in the hospital with it as well. Dude could have been done a couple of years ago, but is working so that he "doesn't sit alone in a room looking at four blank walls". Fucking hell of anyway to start the day.

Otherwise, interview confirmed next week for the Sr Advisor & Planner position. Also now up to 60% of my annual sales goal completed - 10% today alone. I have to tell my boss tomorrow morning that I have an interview. :popcorn:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
seems unlikely that the car was in a flood, but it is possible. carfax came back clean and it lived its life entirely in a nearby town that hasn't had catastrophic flooding in recent times.

possibly the previous owner drove it through deep standing water or sumpin'
Well, if the car had a snorkel, this wouldn’t have been a problem.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
day 1: steering u-joint - we split the cost. this was the initial, incorrect diagnosis of the problem. $500 out of each of our pockets.
days 2-14: lots of failure to diagnose actual problem, including tow the car to another dealer, hours and hours of their time down the tubes, new Subaru OEM steering rack (including tie rod ends, electric motor, and all the gubbins) replaced by the dealer. I didn't pay for any of days 2-14 (other than wasting my time going to the dealer to demonstrate that they hadn't fixed anything until day 14).
it's the wasting time thing that's the worst. well, if it's not a $10k bill or whatever.

my Tesla wasted much of my time due to their incompetent service, poor parts availability (for a bumper cover, shouldn't be a problem!), and whatever design or manufacturing defect caused the driver's seat pivot to develop play after a year.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Bong shed reunion was tonight. Bunch of weirdos. Can't bike wash an Ebike. Park doesn't make a tool for that. No worries, Craftsmen does. Never thought a Multimeter would become standard issue in your tool kit.