Quantcast

Turndown help...

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
So I was trying turndowns today for the first time and has the basic concept I think. I know its not great but its the best I have so far. Any critique/advise would be appreciated.
Thanks,
formermtboarder

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
pics? -edit: nm, you got em, my comptuter is a tard...-
i've always thought the motion was to do a X-up, then pull your inside hand to the same hip and extend your legs. i can barely do them though, always feel like i'm running out of air-time.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
pull bike up vertical and kick out. that's pretty much it.

in the picture it looks like your doing more of an x-up with strait legs..
Keep it up, you'll get it.

DThomson

Monkey
Nov 1, 2004
to properly full off the so called stunt called a "turn down" you must straighten your legs and pull your handle bars over your leg. its a whole lot easier on a bmx bicycle.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
to properly full off the so called stunt called a "turn down" you must straighten your legs and pull your handle bars over your leg. its a whole lot easier on a bmx bicycle.
Yep, you've got the wrong motion going.

For the way that you're trying to do them, you need to get your left leg between the top tube and the left hand side of your bars when they are turned 180. Both legs completely straight, bike vertical and kicked out more to the side. Your left leg should basically be running parallel to and on top of the top tube. Try practicing the motion while laying on your back holding the bike upside down in a riding position.

Here is what it should look like for the way that you turn. They are very hard on mtbs, notice that his foot came off the pedal...

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
I found that learning un-turndowns first helps you get used to getting your legs into the right position without worrying about the bars. Also you don't need alot of air time to throw a quick un-turndown, so it helps you get the confidence up.

Apparently I push my tongue against my cheek when I do these. . .

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
I was working on un-turns on the big bike but it never clicked like on the 20. Case in point. . .

I haven't picked up the 26 since I got my new bmx though so I'm a little excited to see if the "new" skills transfer.