Quantcast

Turndown help!

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
So i learned to turndown after 5 years... finally! Only problem is that it doesnt look good, and im not sure where to begin or what to do with it. I have the correct mechanics, but i am lost on what to do to get that extra click. keep in mind i have only been able to do them for about 1-2 hours now, so its still a work in progress-id like to kick any and all bad habbits now.

p4pb7253628.jpg

Last edited:

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
I found this vid helpful when I was trying to understand the mechanics of it.

http://www.fatbmx.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=12867

from your pic it looks like you need to relax your body a bit and allow more space between the bike and your body so you can a) let your legs go more straight and down (this should also create some more arm room) b) pull up and a bit to the left with your left arm and c) push further through/over-and-then-down with your right arm. Also, it looks like your throwing your hip into it kind of like a whip, I have found more success with keeping your body straight and using your legs to get the bike a bit out/down and away from your body.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=chris+doyle+turndown&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1340&bih=579&tbm=isch&tbnid=Esa2fp8dX8JlZM:&imgrefurl=http://bmx.transworld.net/1000103235/photos/dc-shoes-roughing-it-tour-day-8-recap-photo-gallery/&docid=NalnDDo5nGP1_M&w=1200&h=800&ei=tZOVTsy1L8-utweskNn9Cg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=271&page=1&tbnh=112&tbnw=163&start=0&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0&tx=71&ty=45

those are my thoughts, not that I'm an expert, my turndowns are still limited to lake jumps and flyouts, but I wrestled with this for a while till it started to feel right. hope this helps.

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
keeping your body straight
just to clarify, I meant to not throw your body out at an angle at the hips. You still bend at the waist. For me there is first a bit of an upward stretch as I bring my right hand/barend upward, move my left hand/bar a bit to the left and let the bike drop away a bit; then a bend at the waist as I push my right hand down and pull my left hand up, and push your legs out if your feelin it.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
that's a lookback or Leary in that pic. Some might even call it a Judge..

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Yeah, ive run into that too, and taking and analyzing a photo is a great way to improve the situation. The trick feels 'clicked' because you've gone through the available range of movement for your given body geometry. However, if your body geometry/orientation is off, then what feels 'clicked' just looks off. As i suggested before, it seems that your bike is too close, so your legs and arms just cant go any farther naturally, which makes it feel as though youve got full extension. Look at that picture of Doyle and ask yourself what has to change in your body positioning to be able to arrive at a similar end point.