Quantcast

Turner DHR Main pivot issue - HELP needed

Bobodaclown

Monkey
Apr 16, 2005
London, England
Hello,
Help needed....
I have a 2005 Turner DHR I just had it resprayed it came back and they hadn't masked where the bearings sit for the main pivot so I took the paint off using a fine piece of sand paper. When I was stripping the frame down the bearings just dropped out and now when I've put it back together the bearings you can just push in with your fingers no force needed....
Assembled the whole frame and there is play in the main pivot side to side and a tiny bit up and down... Has anyone else had this issue..I'm not sure if the main pivot is ovalized or something like that.. is there a fix for anything like this?

Am I right in saying that all there is the bearings the 2 spacer/endcaps and then the pivot bolt and the rear end...are there meant to be any spacers?

I am going to speak with Turner on Monday as well just bit worried and wondered if anyone has this issue or a fix for it...or is the frame just screwed..? :(

Worst bit is I have 6 days before going to France on hols riding..

Let me know your thoughts...

Cheers in advance..

adstock

Chimp
Sep 12, 2006
Bore it out and get some mongo bearings?

I had the same issue when I stripped my frame raw so I just threw a bunch of Loctite green retaining compound in there and called it a day. It still creeks a tad when you REALLY pedal hard but that's it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
:rofl: Yeah, I was talking about getting some bigger, oversized bearings and getting the frame bored to fit them.

Yeah man, this is your best solution at this point. Sandpaper probably wasn't the brightest idea.

Talk to turner and get the bearing specs, or look up the number on the bearings and get the next largest outside diameter with the same inside diameter.

Then get the correct sized reaming bit and clean up your frame.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
It was pretty common for the bearings to push 'too far' into the bearing bore on those frames. They actually were not designed to have the inner face of the bearing hard up against a stop or shoulder.

The original design required the main bearings to be held in place by adhesive (loctite 608 IIRC). You simply coated the bearing and frame surfaces with the loctite and bolted it all together until the bolt bottomed out on the swingarm. The pivot bolt itself acted as the press and also set the bearing preload.

The bearings should however be at least snug in the bore to provide the preload as well as a small enough gap for the adhesive to fill.

Jul 15, 2009
AllDayinPA
Had a few of these frames including the latest, newest, but not the newest since its not out yet. Anyway, You'll need a new bearing pivot and the spacers if you want it fixed. Call Turner they will sell you the kit and send it to you asap. Sick bike when she's tight. red loctite that bolt. Don't be scared, it will come loose again no matter what, but it will stay tight alot longer.
Mongo bearings? good one but not recommended at all. It's a simple fix but its characteristic of the bike. You just have to make sure all bearings are tight everytime you ride. If not they all will come loose real quick. hope that helps !

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
The DW link frames are almost ready. Spoke with them last week. There will be raw, green and ano black. The ano frame will cost a little more. Just as I was set on getting a 2011 Demo 8...

Sov

Chimp
Jan 1, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
The original design required the main bearings to be held in place by adhesive (loctite 608 IIRC).
Loctite 680 actually. 609 should work as well and it's more commonly available (at least where i live)

I had the same issue with the drive side bearing on my 06 DHR - you could pop it out by hand. Loctite 680 solved the problem and it's been play free for over two years.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
^^^ yes, that. I always combine 680 and 609 to get 608. Either way, general strength press fit cylindrical adhesive (NOT thread lock) is the key. Turner should have made this info more available and apparent, but if you talk to them (Greg or Dave) they will give you this same information.

V.E. not sure what you are refering to. There are no spacers and nothing that is a bearing pivot, just two bearings, two bearing cups/caps and a bolt that you can purchase at any hardware store.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
^^^^
Very important. I'll add a couple things. Clean the bearing bores well with alcohol, or better yet, Loc-tite prep.
Let it sit for 48 hrs. The longer the better. Many people have issues with this because they assemble everything right and then go riding the next morning.
It's not really hard, but you need to use the right stuff.

Bobodaclown

Monkey
Apr 16, 2005
London, England
Cheers for the reply's guys.
I have a full rebuild kit on the way and new bushes for the shock. Turner essentially said that I need to use bearing adhesive when putting the bearings into the frame for the main pivot and this should cure it... I should know on wednesday as rebuild kit comes, I have the bearing adhesive and the shock is already back with the new bushes installed. I since checked and their is play in the linkage as well so figure I will replace all the bearings on the back end. Fingers crossed I really hope it does sorted it or I will be gutted as wanted to take it to Morzine for next week or I will have to take my carbon enduro again :S They reckon it will sort the issues.

I asked about the spacer they said I don't need it if it's not there already...

ahhh what fun dh bikes are.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Cheers for the reply's guys.
I have a full rebuild kit on the way and new bushes for the shock. Turner essentially said that I need to use bearing adhesive when putting the bearings into the frame for the main pivot and this should cure it... I should know on wednesday as rebuild kit comes, I have the bearing adhesive and the shock is already back with the new bushes installed. I since checked and their is play in the linkage as well so figure I will replace all the bearings on the back end. Fingers crossed I really hope it does sorted it or I will be gutted as wanted to take it to Morzine for next week or I will have to take my carbon enduro again :S They reckon it will sort the issues.

I asked about the spacer they said I don't need it if it's not there already...

ahhh what fun dh bikes are.

that is why average life of a dh bike is 3yrs