Quantcast

Turner DHR Sizing

Unimog

Chimp
May 6, 2005
Which size would be better for someone 5'7", small or medium? Also, which fork would balance it better, a 888 with lowrider crowns with seven inches of travel, or an eight inch 888 with the same crowns? How durable is the DHR?

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
At 5'-7", a small would be perfect for you. As for the fork, the 8" with drop crowns would be a good choice. I am 6'-1" & ride a medium with an 8" Boxxer WC & the ride is awsome.

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
I'm 5'6...(5'9 with the afro) and ride a small DHR with a 888 w/marz flat crowns. Just got back from Whistla and was really stoked on its performance.

I can't tell how many people there came up to me and said "..... thats a really nice bike.." After awhile I kinda got freaked with all the rip offs and all...I thought these guys were scoping me out for the rip off! :eviltongu

The DHR rips..the new ones come with better rear shocks though.

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
Unimog said:
Thanks! I am still growing so, would the small allow some room for me to grow?
You would probably be comfortable on a small up to 5'-10 ", plus if you consider that the lifespane of a DH frame is only a couple of years if you ride / race it hard, you would probably end up getting another frame in a year or so (especially if you are like me, a bike junky, always upgrading anyways ; )

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
The small DHR is tiny, so if you're already 5'7" and still growing, buy the medium. I'm not sure where H2B is getting his information, but I don't agree with him at all on any of his points. DHRs have a great reputation as a long-lasting DH frame, my friend Alex (who worked here long ago) is still riding his '01 or '02, and while the newer frame design isn't quite as burly as the older style DHR frames, they are still well-built.

Anyway, I would definitely buy a medium if I were in your shoes. You might be able to eek out an extra season on the small if you grow less than two inches, but you'd need at least a 70mm stem to be comfortable on the bike (unless you have short arms and/or long legs). you can start off with the medium and a 35 - 50mm stem and be totally comfortable on the medium. in fact, even if you make it up to 6 feet, i doubt you'll want to go longer than a 50mm stem on the medium.

As far as the fork travel is concerned, the DHR underwent literally zero design changes between '04 and '05, other than the geometry was listed with an 8" fork in the '05 catalogue vs. a 7" fork in the '04 cat. If you want the higher BB and 66' head angle, get the 8" 888 with flat crowns. If you want the lower BB and a degree steeper head angle, go 7". I'm a fan of slacker head angles, but that doesn't mean you will.

Unimog

Chimp
May 6, 2005
How does the sizing compare to a 17" 2003 Stinky Dee-Lux? Do you know what the effective or horizontal top tube length is? I can't find this measurement on Turner's website.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
James | Go-Ride said:
The small DHR is tiny, so if you're already 5'7" and still growing, buy the medium. I'm not sure where H2B is getting his information, but I don't agree with him at all on any of his points.
H2B = Stu from Turner Honda fame, he may know a little. I'm 5'7" and ride a small, I like small bikes. 2 years is the longest I'd ride a DH frame (from past experience) they tend to be a little iffy by that point.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
W4S said:
H2B = Stu from Turner Honda fame, he may know a little. I'm 5'7" and ride a small, I like small bikes. 2 years is the longest I'd ride a DH frame (from past experience) they tend to be a little iffy by that point.
Lest we forget the rule: "The faster they are on a bike, the less they know about it."

:D

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
"but I don't agree with him at all on any of his points"

I responed to the frame size question from experiance I have had with fellow racers & team mates over the years, they are only my experiances & my opinions of course.
What it really all comes down to is the rider & riding style. I am 6'-1" & have been on a medium turner (02-05) almost my whole racing career, also, depending on race courses, I will run either anywhere from a 40mm to 60mm stem, although I prefer the longer 60. I have also ridden & raced with guys that are closing in on 6' tall & are riding / racing small frames with longer stems, as well as riders over 6'-3" riding mediums set up exactly like mine, so again, all down to the riding style & whats comfortable.

As for the longevity question, again, from my experiance, very few racers, sponsored or not, keep thier bikes for more than a couple years, mostly because of changes in technology, better geometry, etc.., it was not intended to say that the frames will only last that long (especially a Turner, as I tried to kill an RFX for years & finally gave up & sold it to a friend, who is still killing it, as well as rellentlesly hucking my poor DHR off cliffs in Zion ; )

Just trying to help out on something I have had experiance on!

Now kid, buy a DHR & pin it!

Unimog

Chimp
May 6, 2005
I'm sorry, my question was poorly worded. What is the effective top tube length on the medium and the small DHRs? The top tube on the stinky is only 22"

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My medium is around 23.5 but I've got a layback seatpost and a bigger tire on the front which affects "horizontal" plus my seat may not be where it's supposed to be for that measurement.

James will disagree with me here but find a frame you like the sizing on and measure the downtube. Center of BB to center of headtube. The medium DHR is 26.5 for reference.

But I agree you should look at a medium over a small. I'm 5'7"

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
kidwoo said:
My medium is around 23.5 but I've got a layback seatpost and a bigger tire on the front which affects "horizontal" plus my seat may not be where it's supposed to be for that measurement.

James will disagree with me here but find a frame you like the sizing on and measure the downtube. Center of BB to center of headtube. The medium DHR is 26.5 for reference.

But I agree you should look at a medium over a small. I'm 5'7"
your a hobbit

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
hucked2bend said:
"but I don't agree with him at all on any of his points"

I responed to the frame size question from experiance I have had with fellow racers & team mates over the years, they are only my experiances & my opinions of course.
What it really all comes down to is the rider & riding style. I am 6'-1" & have been on a medium turner (02-05) almost my whole racing career, also, depending on race courses, I will run either anywhere from a 40mm to 60mm stem, although I prefer the longer 60. I have also ridden & raced with guys that are closing in on 6' tall & are riding / racing small frames with longer stems, as well as riders over 6'-3" riding mediums set up exactly like mine, so again, all down to the riding style & whats comfortable.

As for the longevity question, again, from my experiance, very few racers, sponsored or not, keep thier bikes for more than a couple years, mostly because of changes in technology, better geometry, etc.., it was not intended to say that the frames will only last that long (especially a Turner, as I tried to kill an RFX for years & finally gave up & sold it to a friend, who is still killing it, as well as rellentlesly hucking my poor DHR off cliffs in Zion ; )

Just trying to help out on something I have had experiance on!

Now kid, buy a DHR & pin it!
I'm not trying to start flaming things up in here, just offering my opinions as well. Having set up hundreds of people on a DH bike, a lot of them being Turners, I generally have a pretty good idea of what is going to fit and what isn't. But, "fit' is a pretty subjective issue so I'm not saying you're wrong. Just that I'm right.

Just kidding.

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
W4S said:
Dude.......there's no way you're 5'7! :eviltongu