Quantcast

Turner DHR

jrjess

Chimp
Jan 13, 2009
i just don't get todays people, forums are where we as consumers and those in the bike industry or magazines in this case here, a place for us to voice out our opinions and thoughts without being judge or blamed for anything. We are sharing our interest and experience here. So why are there some idiots trying to spoil the whole setup?If you don't like a certain product or magazine or manufacturer just ignore the forum and keep quiet. As for the Turner DHR, its damn well a great bike and i stand by it no matter what. I have had many other bike from other manufacturer and they have fall short in so many ways and being most of all the customer care. When i buy a DH bike i want a bike that i know will last and i will get the support from the manufacturer when something happens, Turner has been there all the time without fail. Im not an American but i am sure damn proud of riding this made in America product since the quality and back up from the manufacturer is 1st class. Im just and average guy with average income, so when i spend my money i want to be spent wisely. I found something good and i will stick to it. Been riding DHR since 07 and never thought of another brand when it comes to DH frames!!

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
LOL at quality and back up. My 09 Dhr had pivots that werent reamed to the correct. size. turner blamed it on a bad set of needle bearings being too big. And of course the size they needed to be reamed out to is a n oddball size, meaning most machine shops dont have it and i didnt want to spend the money for it. when they measured the ones they had in stock compared to the ones i had, they were all the same size. then my buddy has the new dw dhr, icsg tabs are out of spec and you cant even mount a chainguide using them, have to use a bb mount. Turner didnt want to do anything about it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
LOL at quality and back up. My 09 Dhr had pivots that werent reamed to the correct. size. turner blamed it on a bad set of needle bearings being too big. And of course the size they needed to be reamed out to is a n oddball size, meaning most machine shops dont have it and i didnt want to spend the money for it. when they measured the ones they had in stock compared to the ones i had, they were all the same size. then my buddy has the new dw dhr, icsg tabs are out of spec and you cant even mount a chainguide using them, have to use a bb mount. Turner didnt want to do anything about it.
It's really funny what happens with Turner when you call them and act like a grown up. I mean really......it's amazing. It sounds like you've never experienced that though. Kind of a shame.

I've got a 5 spot that came with all kinds of improperly reamed bushings. I had completely new pivot rebuild kits that worked within two days, along with detailed instructions about how to make them work if they didn't.

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
It's really funny what happens with Turner when you call them and act like a grown up. I mean really......it's amazing. It sounds like you've never experienced that though. Kind of a shame.

I've got a 5 spot that came with all kinds of improperly reamed bushings. I had completely new pivot rebuild kits that worked within two days, along with detailed instructions about how to make them work if they didn't.
Although he may not write with proper punctuation, I can guarantee you that he's had Turner on the phone numerous times and has acted like a big boy.:)

I have discussed the issues with my DHR on here and MTBR numerous times, so I won't delve into that, but Turner hasn't even bothered to respond to any of my nicely worded emails about my DHR recently, which has ISCG tabs that are out of spec. I've sent them two emails through their site now over the last 3 weeks and have not gotten a response to either. It's really ironic to me because all of the Turner homers are so adamant that Turner has the best CS in the business, which is why I bought the bike in the first place.

So if anyone wants a large DW DHR with out of spec iscg tabs, hit me up!

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009

Lol ive had them on the phone several times and put my big boy pants on for it. the holes that the needle bearings went in werent reamed to the proper size. Pivot rebuild kits? the bearings werent the wrong size, the frame was out of spec from what it should be. What they told me, either fork up the cash for a reamer or just jam the bearings in there.

Did i act like a grown up? you bet, and you can suck it. All they offered was some new bearings that were the same size and would have the same problems, they never offered me a solution to the problem. which to me is bad business.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have discussed the issues with my DHR on here and MTBR numerous times, so I won't delve into that, but Turner hasn't even bothered to respond to any of my nicely worded emails about my DHR recently, which has ISCG tabs that are out of spec. I've sent them two emails through their site now over the last 3 weeks and have not gotten a response to either. It's really ironic to me because all of the Turner homers are so adamant that Turner has the best CS in the business, which is why I bought the bike in the first place.

So if anyone wants a large DW DHR with out of spec iscg tabs, hit me up!
Yeah we talked about your bike at northstar remember? I told you there's no way I would have taken a frame that costs that much and not gotten a replacement for something obviously wrong. You insisted you were cool with it because of how much you enjoyed how much it rode. NOW it's a big enough of an issue?

Considering how many frames, xc and otherwise, turner has taken back, rewelded, and heat treated for added gussets, rewelded shock mounts etc. that's a little hard to understand. It's a welded piece that seems like it was put on incorrectly or warped in heat treating. It's a fairly easy fix.

put my big boy pants on
I'm sure.

you can suck it.

Last edited:

trap121

Monkey
May 26, 2011
This thread makes me laugh.

Ive had my DHR for 4 months and love it. Absolutely no problems at all, other than the rider.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I hope you get your issues fixed. Mine has been issue free and it's my dream bike.

Funny thing is, every time I've bought a DHR (02,03,04,05,09,11), it shows up...and instantly becomes my dream bike. I hate to hear of anyone soured on a DHR.

I just want to add that a friend has my VERY FIRST 2002 DHR. So cool. Maybe we're a cult.....

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
Yeah we talked about your bike at northstar remember? I told you there's no way I would have taken a frame that costs that much and not gotten a replacement for something obviously wrong. You insisted you were cool with it because of how much you enjoyed how much it rode. NOW it's a big enough of an issue?

Considering how many frames, xc and otherwise, turner has taken back, rewelded, and heat treated for added gussets, rewelded shock mounts etc. that's a little hard to understand. It's a welded piece that seems like it was put on incorrectly or warped in heat treating. It's a fairly easy fix.

I'm sure.
I did try to get it fixed and was told to file down a chain guide. We discussed that too. I figured it was worth a shot trying them again and have had no response.

Am I stoked with the way the bike rides? Absolutely. I am way faster on this bike than my previous generation V10. Does that give Turner any excuse to ignore the problems with my bike? NO.

I am a fairly laid back person that does not get riled up about much of anything. All my emails to them have been more than respectful. It's very easy for me to get over a problem like mine when there are many bigger problems in life. If I don't hear back from them I'm just going to sell the bike for pennies on the dollar. I lose money, but problem solved.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I did try to get it fixed and was told to file down a chain guide. We discussed that too. I figured it was worth a shot trying them again and have had no response.

Am I stoked with the way the bike rides? Absolutely. I am way faster on this bike than my previous generation V10. Does that give Turner any excuse to ignore the problems with my bike? NO.

I am a fairly laid back person that does not get riled up about much of anything. All my emails to them have been more than respectful. It's very easy for me to get over a problem like mine when there are many bigger problems in life. If I don't hear back from them I'm just going to sell the bike for pennies on the dollar. I lose money, but problem solved.
Squeeky wheel gets the grease. I would dial their (800) # and press zero when you get their VM system, that will take you to a live person who will handle your problem. I've had turner bikes since 2004 and never had a warranty claim that wasn't handled immediately and with positive results. Emails don't seem to work with many small companies because most employees are wearing multiple hats and sitting down to respond to loads of emails isn't their highest priority, a phone call is the only way to go, imo.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I certainly didn't mean to imply you were hotheaded. Like I said, you were way calmer than I would have been over something like that. ;)

I remember looking at your bike and you'd obviously found something to deal with it. Is that what it was? Filing the holes bigger on the guide plate? If it's that simple and it does work, I'd probably be in the same boat as you.....just run it because ride time is precious. But if it's something that's bad enough that you don't feel like you'll be able to sell it for a reasonable price when the time comes, that's worth getting fixed.......properly. Have you gotten a live human on the phone or just emails?

We're coming into winter now so it might be a good time to see what their response is to cutting off the mounts and putting another ring on. Like I said, they've have done that sort of thing in the past with other broken frames. I've never gotten 'no repsonse' from a phone call.

Last edited:

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
I certainly didn't mean to imply you were hotheaded. Like I said, you were way calmer than I would have been over something like that. ;)

I remember looking at your bike and you'd obviously found something to deal with it. Is that what it was? Filing the holes bigger on the guide plate? If it's that simple and it does work, I'd probably be in the same boat as you.....just run it because ride time is precious. But if it's something that's bad enough that you don't feel like you'll be able to sell it for a reasonable price when the time comes, that's worth getting fixed.......properly. Have you gotten a live human on the phone or just emails?

We're coming into winter now so it might be a good time to see what their response is to cutting off the mounts and putting another ring on. Like I said, they've have done that sort of thing in the past with other broken frames.
I milled down a bb to iscg 05 adapter so the adapter would clear the tabs. It works but it's not ideal for having a proper chain line. I've just dealt with them via email, but I think a few phone calls might be in order soon. I just like having things in writing.

All I have asked of Turner via email is what you suggested; to pull the tabs and put new ones on. There's been no response from them on that. Hopefully they'll get back to me. It's kind of hard for me to be optimistic at this point however.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I milled down a bb to iscg 05 adapter so the adapter would clear the tabs. It works but it's not ideal for having a proper chain line. I've just dealt with them via email, but I think a few phone calls might be in order soon. I just like having things in writing.

All I have asked of Turner via email is what you suggested; to pull the tabs and put new ones on. There's been no response from them on that. Hopefully they'll get back to me. It's kind of hard for me to be optimistic at this point however.
Give them a call for sure. I've had emails go unanswered for a long time too. Everybody there is really easy to deal with.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
NAYR,

Having dealt with Turner for so many years, I would reccomend you call and ask to speak with Greg Wulff. You can use the name directory to get directly to him. He's the hardest working and busiest guy there. And yet, somehow also the nicest. He is over warranty and you'll eliminate all this wasted time through e-mail.

Call him up direct and see what a 5 minute phone conversation will do. I very rarely leave him a voice mail. I just usually take a few crack shots during the day/week til he picks up. If it's a serious issue, often times the person answering (if you ask for Greg by name) will sometimes go out to the warehouse to get him for you.

Hope that helps.

jrjess

Chimp
Jan 13, 2009
Hi,
Just wanted to point out, have been riding DHR from 08 and have been in touch with Greg many times and for the record I'm living in Malaysia (Asia) and i usually don't call cause its expensive for me. So all my dealing with Turner have been through emails, and i had my bearings and rebuild kits shipped to be for FREE within a week after the emailing was done. Then my replacement frame for the new DHR DW was sent to me about a month after i bought the wrongly welded one. So as for you guys living in the US of A.....i can't seem to understand what is the fuss about Turner's customer care. For me i'll rate it as 10/10.

jrjess

Chimp
Jan 13, 2009
Hi,
Just wanted to point out, have been riding DHR from 08 and have been in touch with Greg many times and for the record I'm living in Malaysia (Asia) and i usually don't call cause its expensive for me. So all my dealing with Turner have been through emails, and i had my bearings and rebuild kits shipped to be for FREE within a week after the emailing was done. Then my replacement frame for the new DHR DW was sent to me about a month after i bought the wrongly welded one. So as for you guys living in the US of A.....i can't seem to understand what is the fuss about Turner's customer care. For me i'll rate it as 10/10.