Quantcast

TV vs. Projector

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
AngryMetalSmith/Dirt are totally right... I rescind any and all advice that I've given in this thread, and give this instead:

Forget the "banging" sound system/tv/PS3 and spend the $500 on some good interior paint and some art to hang on the walls.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I go w/a 3D POLARIZED/Passivev (no active glasses, uses the same glasses as a REAL D movie theater) LED TV. I bought a LG 42" LG TV w/3D blu ray player included for 749.99 at KMART, but I see it is not there. Sears had some good bundles too, I was going to get the 55" LG bundle for 1200.00, but they sold out. Point is a cheap LED 3D TV is very nice and affordable in the 42" range. I am very happy w/my LG.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You will get ****ty quality in a 3d tv for that price, especially led one. In my experiance a high model LCD has much better screen quality than a low LED model. Not to mention 3D is **** and LGs are not the most reliable products. I own their blu ray but only for the bazzilion of formats it was to support (still doesn't go well with some audio codecs)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
AngryMetalSmith/Dirt are totally right... I rescind any and all advice that I've given in this thread, and give this instead:

Forget the "banging" sound system/tv/PS3 and spend the $500 on some good interior paint and some art to hang on the walls.
forget art and paint.....condoms.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
You will get ****ty quality in a 3d tv for that price, especially led one. In my experiance a high model LCD has much better screen quality than a low LED model. Not to mention 3D is **** and LGs are not the most reliable products. I own their blu ray but only for the bazzilion of formats it was to support (still doesn't go well with some audio codecs)
I've had mine for over 3 months, running full time at home and have had no problems. The 3D is nice for an occasional movie, event or my own 3D stuff and the POLARIZED screen makes all aspects of viewing better. Just go demo one. So we will have to agree to disagree on the cheap LG polarized 3D category.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I've had mine for over 3 months, running full time at home and have had no problems. The 3D is nice for an occasional movie, event or my own 3D stuff and the POLARIZED screen makes all aspects of viewing better. Just go demo one. So we will have to agree to disagree on the cheap LG polarized 3D category.
I just don't like 3d. It's not real 3d it's stereoscopic. We are evolutionary unprepared for it while it also narrows your field of vision and defeats the purpose of having a big screen. Spartacus or any other movie that's about spectacle with narrow FoV is just absurdly stupid. That's why I hate it. Chris Nolan had a good interview about it.

As for LG 3 months is not a long time and yes in many cases they will work fine but I have many friends who are less than happy with their LG stuff. Not to mention even the casing build quality is a lower than Samsung and Toshiba. I seriously considered LG but unless you really can't afford something more expensive or can't have one size smaller it never made sense to me. Even if the risk of failure wasn't there the picture quality is lower. Maybe not noticeable if you use your screen for watching TV but mine is only connected to the DVD and the Blu Ray. I may be a snob but the way I watch it small things bother me.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I just don't like 3d. It's not real 3d it's stereoscopic. We are evolutionary unprepared for it while it also narrows your field of vision and defeats the purpose of having a big screen. Spartacus or any other movie that's about spectacle with narrow FoV is just absurdly stupid. That's why I hate it. Chris Nolan had a good interview about it.

As for LG 3 months is not a long time and yes in many cases they will work fine but I have many friends who are less than happy with their LG stuff. Not to mention even the casing build quality is a lower than Samsung and Toshiba. I seriously considered LG but unless you really can't afford something more expensive or can't have one size smaller it never made sense to me. Even if the risk of failure wasn't there the picture quality is lower. Maybe not noticeable if you use your screen for watching TV but mine is only connected to the DVD and the Blu Ray. I may be a snob but the way I watch it small things bother me.
All LCDs have narrow optimal viewing angles (its inherent to the technology - color shift, washing out, loss of detail, off-angle glowing etc), even IPS panels will shift in quality the further you move off center despite the wider usable viewing angle compare to other types. This is why many graphic professions held out on LCD panels when the monitor market was transitioning away from CRTs.

Its also true that active, passive, and even simulated via 2D (ala Doom) 3D systems are known for giving people motion sickness so none of these simulated 3D technologies are "natural" either.

LG makes plenty of quality LCD panels which is why Apple, Dell, HP, etc spec them in their products from the low-end to the high-end.

Last edited:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I don't want 3D. 3D in the theater makes my eyes hurt, I'm sure anything anywhere close to my price range would be far worse. I just want something decent that I can play COD and watch movies on. "Do you wanna go back to my place and watch a movie..?" is a great pickup line. I don't need random hippie art to pick up chicks. College girls are really easy.. you guys are forgetting that.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
All LCDs have narrow optimal viewing angles (its inherent to the technology - color shift, washing out, loss of detail, off-angle glowing etc), even IPS panels will shift in quality the further you move off center despite the wider usable viewing angle compare to other types. This is why many graphic professions held out on LCD panels when the monitor market was transitioning away from CRTs.

Its also true that active, passive, and even simulated via 2D (ala Doom) 3D systems are known for giving people motion sickness so none of these simulated 3D technologies are "natural" either.

LG makes plenty of quality LCD panels which is why Apple, Dell, HP, etc spec them in their products from the low-end to the high-end.
http://eu.consumer.toshiba.eu/en/products/tv/40XV733 < This is my Toshiba. I have no idea what kind of panel it is but the narrow optimal angle of view is BS(the site claims the view angle is 178deg). I went to check it 5 minutes ago. You would have to sit at a right angle to the screen to maybe notice a difference. I really belived what you are saying before I bought it but it's just not true. I often host movie parties with many people looking at the screen at different angles and no one complains.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
http://eu.consumer.toshiba.eu/en/products/tv/40XV733 < This is my Toshiba. I have no idea what kind of panel it is but the narrow optimal angle of view is BS(the site claims the view angle is 178deg). I went to check it 5 minutes ago. You would have to sit at a right angle to the screen to maybe notice a difference. I really belived what you are saying before I bought it but it's just not true. I often host movie parties with many people looking at the screen at different angles and no one complains.
My buddy has 2 He bought them for a steal. If one ended up on my stand I would be happy.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
If you can get them. The resolution + feature works amazing. Lower quality hd and upscaled good quality sd look almost the same. (probably the same but I didn't blind test it)

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Get a small TV and put it in your bedroom, never own a couch and keep your bed made.

Nope, haven't forgotten, just reminiscing.
The 19" LED is going in my bedroom with a PS2 for DVDs. I'm all set there. I don't get the never own a couch thing though. :confused: There's going to be 2 in the living room and at least two in the basement/mancave/bike shop. What do you have against couches?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
The 19" LED is going in my bedroom with a PS2 for DVDs. I'm all set there. I don't get the never own a couch thing though. :confused: There's going to be 2 in the living room and at least two in the basement/mancave/bike shop. What do you have against couches?
If there is no couch, then you and the girl will have to sit on the bed to watch the movie.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
If there is no couch, then you and the girl will have to sit on the bed to watch the movie.
I like that. But we'd have a big empty living room without couches. I think if I'm watching a movie with just me and a girl the deal is pretty much sealed whether it's on the couch or in my bed :brows: edit: sniped by Norbar. Rep+ given.

And JK how old are you? I'd be the only one out right now! I'm sobering up from drinking this afternoon and making plans right now.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I like that. But we'd have a big empty living room without couches. I think if I'm watching a movie with just me and a girl the deal is pretty much sealed whether it's on the couch or in my bed :brows: edit: sniped by Norbar. Rep+ given.

And JK how old are you? I'd be the only one out right now! I'm sobering up from drinking this afternoon and making plans right now.
Pushing 30. Im at home with my fiancee. Early night, more packing tomorrow.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
if you cant tell on a big screen, then they must be half blind
That. I'd say the differance starts to be visible around what I have - 40''. With good upscaling 720p and 1080p vidoes look similar but you can see a slight differance. On a 50'' with 720p max so no upscaling to make it look better? You will see the differance.
Also that tv seems old, I'd avoid older plasmas.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Daddy warbucks there also said he's on a budget. It's all personal preference. Personally, I would rather have a bigger TV that's 720. Unless it was 2 ft from my futon, then I would just get a 15" and spend the rest of the money on banging chicks.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It's all personal preference. Personally, I would rather have a bigger TV that's 720.
i wouldnt. like norbar said, really anything above 40/42" in 720p looks terrible... particularly those with bad processors and or bad screens. i have seen some stunning 43/50/60" plasmas in 720p back when the Pioneer Elite plasmas first hit the market but they didnt have a cheap screen or processor in them (or separate in the original Elite models.)
if youre looking for a price point tv or something to play video games on, then obviously that isnt a major consideration since you can get a 720p 40" for around $275. ive stared at hundreds of tv's over the years to know that 720p in a big screen looks bad.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I have a Panasonic 50" in 720 that's probably 5 years old and granted, I didn't pay $600 for it, I would challenge anyone to tell me it's 720 when I'm running a Blu Ray off of the PS3.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Daddy warbucks there also said he's on a budget. It's all personal preference. Personally, I would rather have a bigger TV that's 720. Unless it was 2 ft from my futon, then I would just get a 15" and spend the rest of the money on banging chicks.
translation:

"I'd rather bang two ugly chicks than one really hot chick"

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I don't want 3D. 3D in the theater makes my eyes hurt, I'm sure anything anywhere close to my price range would be far worse. I just want something decent that I can play COD and watch movies on. "Do you wanna go back to my place and watch a movie..?" is a great pickup line. I don't need random hippie art to pick up chicks. College girls are really easy.. you guys are forgetting that.
You are forgetting that college girls, 100% don't care at all about any kind of technology gadgets you have and will most likely judge you after seeing the gaming consoles. Keep your room clean, decorate well, and be in close proximity to downtown.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
You are forgetting that college girls, 100% don't care at all about any kind of technology gadgets you have and will most likely judge you after seeing the gaming consoles. Keep your room clean, decorate well, and be in close proximity to downtown.
Yup, a clean room and a Yoga mat would go much further than a giant TV. " Oh you do Yoga, me to, I like a guy who cares about his health, hehehe ".

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
This thread would seem to illustrate why people often fail to pay student loans. Pissing away undue money of ephemeral crap.
I don't have any student loans. Scholarships and federal grants pay for most of my tuition, and my parents can easily afford to cover the rest. If my schooling was putting me or my parents into debt, things would be way different.

And why do you guys relate everything to picking up girls? I've got that well covered on my own. The TV has nothing to do with getting girls. I just want a TV.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't have any student loans. Scholarships and federal grants pay for most of my tuition, and my parents can easily afford to cover the rest. If my schooling was putting me or my parents into debt, things would be way different.

And why do you guys relate everything to picking up girls? I've got that well covered on my own. The TV has nothing to do with getting girls. I just want a TV.
if you're in college and have this much time for TV, you're doing it wrong