Quantcast

Twenty Fo's

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
So I am looking at building up a 24 soon, and I am trying to get an idea wheelwise, what I should build.

Looking around on BTI and QBP it doesn't look like there are a lot of options for disc only rims. What do you 24 riders run? And 32h or 36h? Any shop junkies know what distributor carries the best variety?

I want a super stiff set of wheels, and I would like to keep weight in mind. If I can keep the wheelset below 2300g I'll be happy.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
A hub that takes a driver would be nice... I'm using singletracks for rims, sapim spokes, pretty generic hubs.
I'm sure there's better out there for rims and hubs, but I'm really happy with the spokes.

Last edited:

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
youre best off going off most retail sites. if youre doing bmx spacing, do danscomp with free wheelbuild, otherwise, its still cheaper to either do an lbs or a combo of online sites for parts.

worst case you end up with a rim-brake rim, and disc specific hub. itll be beefy though

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I assumed MTB hubs since he's after discs... bmx+disc is pretty rare!
If I could spend whatever I wanted, I'd go with NS hubs, Odyssey Hazard Lite rims, Sapim spokes.
The hazards are heavy though. Danscomp has Alienation Deviant 24" Cruiser Rims that are 14 oz. and only $40 each.

Last edited:

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I work for a LBS, so I'd more than likely be ordering from one of our distributors. So I am looking around and honestly, I see two different things, Disc only rims that have deep profiles to them e.g. Sun MTX,
or rims with wide profiles and dramatic offset to the drilling
I have always been under the impression that a deep dish rim made it as stiff as possible. Having run all manner of DT rims on my 26 dj bike for a while, I saw how stiff deep profile rims were, so I never gave the wide profile rims a second look.

Thoughts?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I don't know about deep dish being stiffer, but I did really like the wide offset on the Fly rims I had on my 20" a couple years ago. The spokes actually crossed to the opposite side of the rim, making them feel really stiff.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
alienation does some offset drilling. all the ones I've built for peeps over the last few years have turned out pretty solid.